Firewall Resources

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rdsu, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I agree ;)

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The Secure Configuration Guide is available at the Outpostfirewall forum (which hopefully should be up soon...) - if anyone really needs a copy before then, PM me with your email address and I will send a copy in a zipped RTF file (41K).

3. Pikachu

Pikachu Registered Member

hi,

i am somewhat surpried that outpost consumes lots of resources on your pc. i am using 2.1 version and i don't even notice it till it shows some alert window. i wonder which policy you have on a regular basis - may be it slows your pc down because it has to follow too many applications? actually, i was positive that outpost is one of the most "light" firewalls...

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Certain rules can affect Outpost's performance but you can have thousands of application rules setup without any impact (see How Outpost processes rules internally for details on this - this link is to the Outpostfirewall forum which is having some upgrade issues though so it may close temporarily later). Generally, Outpost's CPU utilisation will depend (as with all firewalls) on the number of current network connections (which is triple normal in my case since I route all web traffic through 2 local proxies).

I did find the cause of the problem - for some reason Outpost was unable to clear my logfile so when I deleted it manually, this improved significantly. I'll wait to see if it recurs when the logfile reaches the maximum size set.

5. johncesta

johncesta Guest

Don't run Visnetic on 2003 servers. There is a problem with their driver as per M$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.