Firewall Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Fajo, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I keep getting that tho my firewall is set up to block incoming and outgoing versions of that. is my router possibly responding to it and not my computer ?

this info is from GRC.com shieldsup test

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, if you have a router, it's most likely the router responding to the pings. You can go into the router admin and set it to not do this usually...

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Im not finding the option in mine. I have block wan ping. but also the darn router is behind a modem with a router. so it could be a number of things. :D it can respond all it wants there aint a chance anything would make it to my computer anyways.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You'd have to get at whichever router gets the data first from the internet. If that's part of the modem, then if there is any way to configure that, I suppose that's your best bet.

It's not critical anyway, if everything else is stealth, then it really doesn't matter much. I let mine respond to pings for a long time before I finally changed it. Never had any issues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.