Firewall Protection

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chele57, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chele57

Chele57 Registered Member

I have read the posts on firewalls. I have tried ZA and found it to didnt seem to be working correct to what I read up on it and quite honestly it confused me. I have been told that Sysgate is better and not complicated for a computer illerate granny to use. I have a new computer so dont want to have the problems I had with the last one. I am running Windows XP home edition. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

:D

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Chele57

... welcome to Wilders :)

Sygate is a good firewall with many happy users. There is a free version and a pay pro version. If ZA has not worked out for you, it is worth a look.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. sig

sig Registered Member

Well read up on any firewall you choose and use their support forums to see what tips there may be about using the firewall especially for newbies. ZA IMO is perhaps the easiest of the 3rd party firewalls and fairly secure in the default install for new users. Still, just about any good firewall will have outbound application control and the user will need to make decisions on which programs to allow out on the internet and which to deny access to the net. That's usually what confuses people. And ask questions if you need assistance in setting up the firewall or have problems.

Quite frankly, though, at present the easiest firewall to use is the one which comes with XP. You can search in the XP Help file for firewall and it will give you instructions on how to activate it. Older XP installs don't come with the firewall enabled, but many new PC's do have it enabled by default so you should at least check to see if it's activated or not. People criticize XP's firewall because it has no outbound program monitoring, but for inbound it does block ports. In fact, if you're not using any firewall at all at present and XP's firewall isn't running, activate it now and then check your PC with an AntiVirus program since it doesn't take long for unfirewalled default installs of XP to be compromised on the internet (like minutes).

It depends on your internet use and habits, and if you have other users on the PC, as to whether the XP firewall is adequate for your needs. The outbound monitoring provided by other software firewalls is an added measure of security. But XP's firewall is certainly better than none at all.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Chele57, Here is a very simple firewall that gives both inbound and outbound protection and it is free for the basic A-Wall from www.sphinx-soft.com

I have been trying a few firewalls lately and this one struck as avery simple to use, one suitable for new users and those that do not want to learn about rules etc. It does not suit my needs but it is well worth a look at.

Remeber also to look at Javscools free tools to be found in these forums, the other thing to do always update your Antvirus - Daily if possible, also use windosws update regularly and get the security updates when they become available.

HTH Pilli

5. Chele57

Thanks for your help so far :) it has given me a few clues to start with anyway. When downloading the firewall program should I save it to disc or just let it load and do I have to turn off my XP firewall before installing. I want to make sure that I get this correct the first time. (its a virgo thing)
    :rolleyes:

Chele

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Chele

I always like to save a current copy of my software on disc (HD/CD). Download first, you could then disconnect and disable the XP firewall prior to installing the new one. Once installed reconnect and let the fun/learining begin :) And as sig mentioned, don't be afraid to ask questions if you need a hand with configuration.

Regards,

CrazyM

7. Chele57

Hi Guys,

Me again :D. I downloaded sysgate to my computer now I have to ask how to turn my XP firewall off . I did try to find it myself before asking but to no avail. Also do I turn it back on once I have sysgate up and running?

Thanks

Chele

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi,

open network connections
    rightclick on your adapter
    properties
    advanced
    here you can switch on/off the firewall

Better leave it off when using another firewall

Greetings,

Gerard

9. Chele57

Hi,

Thank you Gerard :D. :eek: o_O :'( But OMG what did I do wrong.. I downloaded Sysgate to HD and then turned off my firewall, installed it, rebooted my computer and oh my it told me that it couldnt boot as a sys32 file was missing. I did as the computer said and put in my recovery cd but it wouldnt repair and only thing I could do was take it back to factory installation (reformat I think). And no I am not blonde. Did Sysgate replace an existing file and if so how do I prevent that next time? :blink:

Sorry to be such a pain in the rear end.

Chele

10. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Chele

hold on there girl...LOL...don't be a danger to your computer with those CD's LOL

That misiing file didn't just fly away.....all you did was disable the XP firewall..if I am understanding correctly...an then you instally sygate..........YOU DIDN"T REMOVE ANY PROGRAMS........you just disable the XP firewall...righto_O If so, then no reason for any files to come up missing.....nothing was removed!!
    Did you already reformat o_O?? Or do a Restoreo_O?

11. Chele57

LOL I am a danger, a woman with a new toy is always a danger.

Yes all I did was disable the firewall and do an install. As soon as I rebooted it didnt even get the startup screen got a bios? type screen that told me a file was missing. I put the CD in to try a restore like it said but it wouldnt let me get to the startup screen it kept insisting that I do a reformat. So I did exactly what the prompts told me. I didnt remove any programs. The only thing I installed was Sysgate.

Beginning to think someone out there dont like me.

12. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Chele

LOL....oh I do understand LOL

Now....so, you reformated.....an your computer is "like-new" again....all the programs you previously installed are gone..is that correct ??/
    If so....update your anti-virus....and everything else that needs updating....you will also need to get the M$ security patches....do all this before even considering installing any programs.
    An Chele....IMMEDIATELY MAKE A START-UP DISC!!!!! You could have avoided all this!
    An hey....don't you dare feel badly that this happened........its happened to most of us one time or another......its JUST A THING!
    For now I would suggest you get the computer updated. An if I understand correctly sygate IS NOT installed......don't concern yourself with that right now.....first thing first........post back when the updates are installed......MAKE THAT START_UP DISC Miss Chele

13. Chele57

You got it right on Red.

I had a clean slate and first thing I did was install Norton Internet Security and Anti Virus and run the updates after I installed instead of being online and installing.

I was a good girl this time and didnt even attempt to surf or anything whilst I did it.

I wouldnt have a clue how to do a start up disc and its too late anyway as I have already installed a few things :rolleyes: typical woman cant wait :p

14. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Chele

Yes you were a very good girl.....got everything update....great!
    An nope..you are not going to get out of making that start-up disk LOL
    here is how.......got a floppy disk handy.....
    go to MY COMPUTER..(open) there you will see: Control PANEL (open).. then look for ADD?REMOVE PROGRAMS (OPEN THAT) and then you will see a TAB at the upper right that says :START-UP DISK...click on that an you will see "CREATE DISK" put that floppy in A drive and click "CREATE DISK".........THATS ALL>>
    Keep that Start-up disk somewhere safe....I've a feeling you will be needing it someday..LOL.......the disk is very important.
    Now whats with this firewall issue ??
    ZONE ALARM is the known Newbies firewall....of course you didn't understand it...you are new at this....you are not suppose to understand......LOL......so lets back up here a bit.......before you un-installed ZA did you remove it from start-up......or did you just shut it down and un-install it? I didn't read the entire post here so have to ask. quicker....
    you see Chele...unless you disable ZA from starting it does not fully un-install.....an thats can cause misery....mean misery. Enough to make a grown man cry.
    Your operating system is clean now...you have a second chance.....consider your options well Chele......take your time.
    Sygate is a good firewall....however, there may come a time when you will need to make a RULE for it to block "something"...an Chele you just wont know how......not yet anyway....but you can learn....it just takes alittle time......on the other hand ZA is just a matter of ALLOWING OR NOT ALLOWING....once set-up there is not much else to do.......
    Nither are those the only firewalls.....Kerio is good as is Outpost......"out-the box" Kerio offers good protection....however Kerio is also "RULE BASE" an although Kerio makes the rule for you........you still need to know to Allow or Deny..........as you can see Chele..its six one way or half a dozen another way....
    Right now your system is in no immediate danger because you have the internal XP firewall blocking incoming......you can afford to give this firewall business some thought......an remember..the firewall should fit you....no one else..........whats easy for one person maybe a nightmare to other......
    You tryed ZA...an didn't like it...ok, so much for ZA.....its not in the running. As you planned give sygate a try....if you don't like it....nothing wrong with that.....THIS IS GOING TO BE YOUR PERSONAL FIREWALL....find the one that fits you....not me..not anyone but CHELE.....
    Now..go ahead an install sygate.....yes disable the XP firewall first and re-boot before installing sygate.....go for it girl......you are a natural......in a few weeks these people will have you talking geek with the best of them...

15. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Chele

I've been at the forum on borrowed time...was suppose to be elsewhere but had a slight delay........so, chances are I could not return or be back for awhile......
    Pieter,,LowWaterMark, CrazyM, SIG, BigC..are all good teachers....not to say that many others here aren't...but those guys you can depend on to be here.....an they know firewalls. Listen well to their advive Chele..

Best To You

16. Chele57

Thank you Red,

I am sure you are right they are all good teachers and I wont hesitate to ask for help if I need it. But I would never have the nerve to call them geeks your a brave person :rolleyes:

Chele

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Chele I am sitting in front of this window to the internet more time than I should but I really like it. So liking computers to obsession and staring at this little glass tube in front of me for hours at a time I believe makes me a geek, so you are welcome to call me one if you wish. :D ;)

18. Chele57

OH no way geek is such an ugly term for someone with intelligence and I am too much of a lady to say that but I do appreciate the help everyone has given me and now I know about this forum I will be using it :D lots and lots. I will be :ninja:

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am glad you have had a good experience here,come on back anytime you are in the neighborhood :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.