Firewall prompts that I don't get... (Kerio 2.15)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cochese, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Thx for the quick response Diver & Kerodo, just set the rules for both of it ;)

Kerodo...i aint that familiar with LnS yet but keeping an eye on it progress...tried that nearly 5 months back but find it way too complex but looking at their new product....tried a week back seems so much of improvements already. I would better learn the Kerio in & out then would move to LnS sometime later. is it easier to make rules in LnS...how does it filter when it comes to application?

Cheers
    :cool:

2. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

I am sorry a question back again regarding svchost & udp..the remote port i have set is 123 & should be the local port remian any ports or 123 the same? o_O

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

For the time service only, both local and remote ports are UDP 123, inbound and outbound. You can get the address of the time server from the log.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Very good.. I too am just using the enhanced rule set provided with LNS. I did load Phantom's but like you I found it a bit complicated. I did, for example see that he added a rule to block fragmented UDP packets, however, LNS already blocks these by default (I've seen them blocked in my logs here), so what's the need for this rule? I'm wondering if some of the others are the same way. Maybe he adds many of them just for logging purposes? Not sure yet, but I'll experiment more with them in time. I prefer to keep my rule set as small and simple as possible. I've seen people with zillions of rules in Kerio too, and that's not my style. For me simple is best.. Seems to me that the less rules there are to process, the better.

It is different from Kerio, but I'm liking it a lot. As far as ram usage, I've seen it range anywhere from .9 to 6.5 megs. That's pretty light alright. So for now I'm running it here and observing. But I really like it. I'm reading the LNS forum also. Haven't tried any of the beta drivers yet, and probably won't. If there's a beta driver with new features, wouldn't that require a new .EXE also to take advantage of those features? Don't know...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.