Firewall Problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Thebazman, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thebazman

Thebazman Registered Member

Hi
    First of all i'd like to say thanks in advance to all who reply.

I received a wireless router from my isp provider, a netgear wgr6-6vguks.
    Setting up was no problem but after installation when i went to shield up to test my firewall as id previously done before installing the router and passed no problem i was shocked to find that the router firewall plus online armour failed as it replied to a ping.

What id like to know is how to rectify this

cheers

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Suggest you talk to the isp or router company about this. When running shields up my understanding is you are testing against the router not the SW FW.

On OA paid version can be set to not reply to requests for or provide pings so something is odd there. Which version do you have. Can you post the screen shot of this "failure" please over at the OA support forum?

3. Thebazman

Hi
    Im using the paid version on trial .
    I tried talking to the manufacturer but they refused to help as it was my isp who provided me with it.
    It was my isp who gave me the manufactures phone number (im a ball in a game of tennis)

So i thought id pick some brains here

cheers

4. Thebazman

this is what its saying

Solicited TCP Packets: PASSED — No TCP packets were received from your system as a direct result of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed below — they are all either fully stealthed or blocked by your ISP. However . . .

Unsolicited Packets: PASSED — No Internet packets of any sort were received from your system as a side-effect of our attempts to elicit some response from any of the ports listed above. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system remained wisely silent. (Except for the fact that not all of its ports are completely stealthed as shown below.)

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

5. subset

subset Registered Member

If your router replies to their ping, there is nothing OA can do against this.
    The only thing you can try is to configure your router (if possible) to not reply to ping requests.

My results with OA from grc.com:
    "Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests)."

Cheers

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, It is only your router being scanned, not OA. Your results posted in #4 are perfectly fine. The response from your router to pings is harmless. There's nothing to worry about.

You should, however, make sure to secure your wireless settings using at least WPA encryption with a strong passphrase.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You can usually configure your router to either reply or not to pings. See if you can log in to the router admin and go thru the options. It doesn't really matter if it responds to pings or not, but if you prefer it not to, you can usually make it so.

8. Thebazman

hi

When i configured the router i could not see anything regarding firewall options.
    On the box where the router came from it says firewall (sp1) intrusion logging and reporting, denial of service protection vpn functionality n nat.

thanks for replies was just a bit shocked that my pc failed the test. I knew it wasnt OAs fault as it passed b4 i had router.

i hav secured it with wpa encryption
    cheers

9. Thebazman

hi

could someone tell me what the yellow lightbulb is, thats beside trusted in online armour-firewall-computers

much appreciated

cheers

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Thebazman,

As mentioned, it is your router replying to the pings. There should be a setting in the router to allow/block replies to pings from WAN, but if not, do not worry. You also need to be careful with disabling such as your ISP may require a reply from you to see if you are active/connected (some ISP will check, some will not)

It shows if that IP is active.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.