Firewall Personal Ad

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hipgnosis, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

PC seeking software firewall for long term relationship...

Must be light on resource needs,
    Must not require constant attention or pampering,
    Must be reasonably intelligent and not ask the same question over and over again,
    Need not be up to date with latest firewall fashions as long as secure and reliable,
    User friendliness is a plus but not required,
    Meet this criteria? Please reply with a description of attributes and a photo of resource usage.

:D :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

look n stop firewall should be perfect for you
    or the lastest kerio but i prefer look n stop

3. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 or Look N Stop, both should meet your criteria and I seriously doubt you get any lighter than those two firewalls.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sygate

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Some choices include kerio 2.1.5, look n stop, filseclab or jetico.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

lodore - As per your signature, Spysweeper 5.2.3 has been released.
    As for the firewall, Comodo.:D

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sig updated =}
    lets hope soon i can remove the coming soon section and use it as my using now section=}

8. Hipgnosis

Between Kerio 2.1.5 and Look 'n' Stop 2.05, which would you choose....AND WHY?

By the way, I'm kind of confused by the Look 'n' Stop website. It has an option to buy version 2.05 but it also says....

"The individual Look 'n' Stop 2.05 licence has no time limit. There is no annual fee." Then why would I buy it? o_O

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its a one off fee for look n stop and i would choose look n stop because its very light popup comes up only once for programs, no annual fee just one off fee, its just a firewall no pointless extras.

10. Hipgnosis

DOH!...I see now :D a one time $39 fee

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Check out Comodo firewall before you pay. Nice interface, easy to use, you can set it to automatic, and it's free for life. :D

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Thats all going to come down to a decision by you.
    I used Look N Stop for a long time before switching over to Kerio 2.1.5.
    Nothing wrong with L n S at all, I just like the flexibility for creating rules with Kerio more than L n S.
    Basically with L n S you use the enhanced rule setting and you're done although you can still configure the fw a little more to tighten the security.
    With Kerio 2.1.5 it involves a little more detail in creating rules, I use BlitzenZeus' rule setup found here http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,8023708 and added my own rule setup to it.
    There is also another thread here at Wilders that gives info on setting up Kerio.
    If you buy L n S its a one time fee and you're done for good, other apps may charge a small yearly fee.
    Best thing to do like with all the other million choices given here at Wilders is to download the different firewalls and see how they work.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  13. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

look n stop sure is LIGHT.

That's what I love about it :-*

I've used it for almost a year now with no problems at all. Although i'm thinking of switching to something else because there hasn't been a new version in who knows how long...

...but it does do its job so :thumb: :thumb: from me ;)

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I prefer look n stop as it is still being developed, its light and the one off license fee is excellent too. Kerio 2.1.5 is great in the fact that its light and free but its no longer being developed.

15. Hipgnosis

Thanks for the input and suggestion, however, in regards to Comodo, I tried that for a few months already and decided against it. I was for the most part happy with it at first, even though the high resource use was a concern. The latest version improved many areas but it also noticeably slowed by web browsing, caused problems with my local network, and my print server. Those issues in addition to some personal reasons caused me to disqualify it.

16. Hipgnosis

I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

I have downloaded both Look n Stop and Kerio 2.1.5. I have installed Kerio and am checking it out now. I must say, it is a breath of fresh air. Over the past couple years I have tried Kerio 4, Jetico, Ghostwall, Filseclab, X-Wall and Comodo, and thus far, I am very impressed with Kerio 2.1.5. Creating rules is easy and straightforward, resource usage is very nice and no slowdown with web browsing. I'll probably install the Look n Stop on another PC; that way I can trial them both at the same time and decide which to keep.

Thanks again to everyone for your input. :thumb:

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I found Comodo to actually speed up my computer after uninstalling Zone Alarm suite. If Kerio is a breath of fresh air after you tried Comodo, it must really be something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.