Firewall in SystemSuite 4

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Lee, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Guest

Hi,

I would like to know if there is or are rules that can be created to allow the firewall in SS4 to work with the Proxomitron or Webwasher.

I tried Ontracks support before they sold out to V-COM but they said that they didnt have a clue, every time I do a scan with the firewall and proxo the scan reports port 8080 closed instead of stealthed any ideas.

Many Thanks

Lee o_O

2. snowy

snowy Guest

Lee

by chance is your os linux ?

3. Lee

Lee Guest

Hi Snowy,

Sorry no, I forgot to put W98 SE.

Many Thanks

Lee :eek:

4. Lee

Lee Guest

As a matter of fact it has never happend on Sygate ( uses tuch memory) and OutPost ( no trouble with at all). ;)

Many Thanks

Lee

5. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

thanks...my reason for asking was that I could not locate any information on that firewall. I am sure there are others here who know the firewall and will perhaps post later...........

6. Lee

Lee Guest

Snowy

Thanks for the effort and time, the firewall is known as net defence and is based on sygate.

Many Thanks

Lee

7. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

wow...I was just trying to search for information that may help you.......will see what comes up.....

8. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

if its based on sygate..would the sygate rule set apply??

if so....I think you can find info on sygate rules at one ogf the links at the topic "teach me about firewall""

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Yep, it is indeed based upon Sygate (I guess the free and not the pro version.....).
    I have the previous version of SystemSuite (version 3) that came without a firewall component.

10. Lee

Lee Guest

I think it is based on one of the early versions of sygate and not the most recent. I dont think the older version is as configurable as the new version.

Many Thanks

Lee

11. root

root Registered Member

Hi Lee. I'm not sure what your reason for using the SS4 firewall is, but I personally would not use a stripped down version of any firewall. I think the importance of a software firewall incorporated in a multi layered defense system is such that one should choose the best possible firewall for their situation. Since it is highly recommended not to have two firewalls even installed on one computer, to me that indicates that the firewall in System Suite 4 is pretty much useless. Just my opinion, fwiw.
    I had SS4 installed for a long time but I never did install the firewall, so unfortunately I cannot answer your question with any certainty.
    I believe when using Proxo you have to have a loopback rule in place. Something that came to my attention lately is that with proxo using port 8080, the loopback rule should be written to allow loopback to all ports except port 8080.
    There was a discussion about this at the Outpost forum a while back.
    I do not know if this would solve your problem and I don't have a clue whether you can write rules like that with the stripped down version of Sygate. That would probably be one of the drawbacks.
    If you can try that, please let us know if it helps. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to block inbound to port 8080 or any port that doesn't show stealth.
    Buth then again, I don't know if that firewall can produce full stealth readings. Sygate itself is a good firewall, but I don't know what your needs are and what financial considerations there are.
    Good luck. :)

12. Lee

Lee Guest

Ideally I am looking for for a full suite product that contains a firewall, AV and privacy, I liked SS4 because it has it all but if the firewall is no good I will use something else, any ideas? o_O

13. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

being the weekend replies may be slow in coming.
    as to your question.......naturally there are both shareware and freeware.......that of course is your decision.

firewalls are such a personal issue that I would be hard put to advise which is the best.....others can better comments. of course you do need a firewall asp.....perhaps you could use this time to look at a few posted under freetools......

14. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

one comment...my personal pref is to have seperate programs...not a suite

15. Lee

Lee Guest

Hi Snowy,

Why seperate programs and not a suite?

Many Thanks

Lee

16. snowy

snowy Guest

Lee

layering!! Firewalls can be disabled..corrupted....as can anti scanning programs.....an like a house of cards if they are tied together everything comes crumbling down
    thats just one of numerous reasons.......a firewall is not the holy grail.....it should be protected just as it offers protection....same for anti scanners......imo each program should be layered with protection...an each layer does its job before any particular program gets hit...this is the short and sweet of it without going into an indept explanation.

17. root

root Registered Member

Layered protection indeed!
    My first line of defense is my brain. If I don't use it, all other attempts to secure my computer may fail. After that I use tools to help me.
    Let me just give you my preferences. To start with I want and AV. That AV is even better if it does a good job of detecting trojans, as long as it does its primary job of catching viruses as well as any other AV can.
    Next, I want an AT, preferably one that might catch some keyloggers, and back doors, as well as trojans.
    Next, email protection is a must. The AV might watch for worms, but I like an email program that will not become infected to begin with. I use Poco.
    As one backup system I use Regrun 3 Gold. As another backup, I use System Safety Monitor. Some people like a Worm Guard, but I think I have that covered.
    My last layer of defense is my firewall. I need to trust it to be a final stopper, if something got past my first lines of defense. I also want it to protect my ports from connection attempts, scans, DoS attacks or whatever. It is my final chance at controlling what goes into or out of my computer.
    I only have 6 icons in my systray for security purposes. But all six of those program take care of my security. I do not cut corners on any of them.
    The initial cost is considerable, but after that, its just yearly upgrades or updates, so it's not too bad.
    Also after all that, I can have fun surfing and don't have to wonder if I'm going to be nailed to the wall by some malware.
    So theres my philosophy basically. Take it for whatever its worth.

18. Lee

Lee Guest

Hi Root,

What about privacy on your computer?

19. :eek:

I used Suites until I got fed up last year...

Suites generally are glaringly lacking in one or more areas.. They are cheaper, than buying the stand alones.. but they usually included with an inferior firewall, anti virus, or something else...

You can acquire programs for free that are better than standalones..
    For someone on a budget here is what I recommend..

1. Nod32 Antivirus .......................................$39
    2 Free version of Kerio, Zone Alarm, Outpost, or
    Sygate.....................................................$ 00

3. Script Defender........................................$ 00

4 A good Anti-Trojan for ............................$30-50
    (either TDS, BOClean, or Trojan Hunter)

5. Proxomitron $ 00

6. Definately MailWasher $ 00

7. Spybot S&D $ 00

The above is not my configuration, I like experimenting..
    However, I have settled on one Av, that being NOD32...

20. snowy

snowy Guest

LEE

soooo....have you decided on a firewall as yet?? Your question on privacy is something of another topic.....an certainly a very good question that needs answering...however, for the moment your lack of a good firewall imho is very serious.......
    there is a very strong possiblity that I will be dis-connecting from the internet shortly...so will take this opportunity to wish you the very best.....Root and Shooter wont lead you wrong......Jack..LowWaterMark..Pieter know their stuff...as do most of the members...you are in good hands......best wishes

21. root

root Registered Member

Lee, like Snowy said, privacy should really be dealt with in the privacy forums. And I agree, I would be happier to see you find a full function firewall that you were happy with and knew how to configure. Then perhaps you could discuss privacy concerns with other mods and members of this forum that know much more about that issue than I do.
    If there's anything I can do to help you with general information on firewalls and security, I will do what I can.
    Privacy is another field, and I am just not very experienced with all the problems, and or solutions. I think just about all of the other Moderators could help you in that area, especially John, Luv 2BSecure, Pieter, LWM, and indeed many of the regulars here.

22. Lee

Lee Guest

Sorry everyone I will keep the discussion within the topic.
    As for a reply to snowy, YES I think I will test drive ZAP, as for AV it's a dual between NOD32 or EZ-anti virus, Trojan-undecided. as a final word a big THANK YOU to everyone that has helped me, all the best and goodluck.

Many Thanks

Lee :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.