Firewall for two different style users

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tjevans, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjevans

tjevans Registered Member

Please help me figure out the best firewall for this situation. The family PC is used by my wife and I, and our 7 year old son (only supervised by one of us). I don't know the difference between IP and TCP and UDP, etc. However, I'm willing to learn because I realize a rule-based firewall is more secure than an application-based firewall.

My wife, on the other hand, just wants to use the computer, and doesn't want to be bothered with windows popping up telling her that application x is trying to connect to IP address y.

For that reason, we are now using Zone Alarm. However, I would love to move to a rule-based firewall. Is there any that anyone can think of that is a good compromise?

Is there a good source online to explain to me all these terms such as IP, TCP, etc?

2. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Of the rules-based firewalls I've used (Kerio 2.15, GhostWall and CHX), only Kerio has pop ups (and only if I configure it to do so). They either allow the traffic through or stop them according to the rules you've set up. In the beginning, you'll have to pay attention to your logs to properly set up the rules but once you're past that, the firewall can run in the background and you won't have to constantly attend to it.

Although I favor rules-based firewalls, app control is still nice to have. I can specify which ports are used with my firewall, but beyond that, the firewall can't stop an app from using those ports if they want to.

Unfortunately, I don't have any links for you to read up on, so I'll leave it for someone else.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

While rule based firewalls may offer more configuration options for rules, is there any other reason you feel ZA is not meeting your (family) needs?

A few links I have at hand:
    The TCP/IP Guide
    TCP/IP Fundamentals for Microsoft Windows
    Networking Protocols
    IP Addressing and Subnetting for New Users
    Internetworking Technology Handbook

Regards,

CrazyM

4. tjevans

tjevans Registered Member

Not really. I just feel a little nervous when, after installing a new application (and I like trying a lot of shareware/freeware) and I get a popup from ZA saying something like "Generic Windows Host Process wants access to the internet." (Those may not be the exact words, but if you've used ZA, you no doubt have seen the message I mean.)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There really isn't much reason to move to a rule based firewall unless you're wanting or needing more control over things. Chances are, the rule based firewall will bother you more with popups until you get it configured right and nailed down tight. ZA is really the easiest way to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.