firewall change,need advice

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cet, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using Antivir premium and OA paid for some time.My PC is 8 yrs old,so I can not upgrade RAM.I only have 512 MB ram.So I want a lighter set up.I am thinking to change the firewall.I can add winpatrol .I am a safe surfer.I am thinking about ashampoo,pctools or sygate firewalls.Which one uses less RAM and CPU and can get along with Antivir Premium.I also want to use the firewall out of box.Any adviceso_O

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Do you have a router.. frankly unless your worried about Outbound protection badly if you have a router just turn windows Firewall on if you have XP. if not a Router will provide plenty of inbound protection and eat no CPU cyc. I am on a 2100 AMD Athlon XP and 2 Gigs of ram OA gave me loads of problems with how much CPU it wanted why I was in game.

other then that I use a Router Firewall my self came with my Linksys router I bought tho I have modified the firmware.

and Eset because of sooo little resource usage

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Yes I have a router and I modified it's settings too.But I still feel the need of a software firewall to control the outgoing processes.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

PC Tools Firewall is very light & easy to use. Sygate also is light but not as easy to use. I really like Sygate but I( have used it on & off for a long time. I have never used Ashaampoo.Ypu might also like Kerio 2.1.5 & that is really light.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

If you want something lite for XP and are concerned about outbound protection I would suggest Jetico 1. I believe with PC Tools firewall you have to disable webguard in Avira Premium for outbound protection to work properly. You may need to do that with Jetico 1.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Incidentally you said
    what do you mean,..the reason because it is 8yr old - surely not - or are you already maxed out?
    Anyway, from the firewalls mentioned already the only one I cannot recommend is ashampoo, only because I've never used it.

7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Maybe you can just upgrade to the Avira suite?

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Turn XP's firewall on it has outbound prompts. its free non hog on resources.

and I met by Modified firmware as mine is not stock I used a 3rd party one that I have compiled. has a better firewall in it :argh:

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sygate is great, but you may want to rethink that one as it has proxy issues and if Avira web and mail scanners use a proxy approach, then they will blow right thru Sygate without asking.. Kerio 2.1.5 would be a super light approach, if all you're needing is basic outbound control, nothing fancy. Jetico is also another possibility, but probably more difficult and annoying to set up.

10. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Kerio 2.15 is what i would choose on your setup.
    ellison

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If your PC is 8 years old, I'd say that's a great excuse to get a new one. I'm not selling Dell, but if you configure a set up on line they often throw in 1GB RAM free.

12. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I am using a 6 1/2 YR old DELL 8200 P4 2GHZ. ZA FREE V 5.5.094 works very well for Me. To speed up Trim down Uneeded Services. I also have 512 MB Mem.

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes, they do.

14. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

For me, comodo 2.4 was very light, and still provides good protection, and as you are a safe surfer, I think you should try it.
    But on the whole, I have to repeat what thousands of users of this forum have said. Nobody can tell what is right and wrong for your PC, its a matter of you trying them and listening to advice as a secondary thing.

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I have a 10 year old Laptop with Windows 2000 on it ZA free also only 32 megs of ram but it runs lite for me :eek:

16. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you for all your replies.I installed kerio 2.1.5 and it is running very light.I added winpatrol free too.
    That was what I had used before.Antivir premium,kerio 2.1.5. and winpatrol.I think it is enough for me.I disabled webguard in Antivir too.
    My comp is 8 years old.I had tweaked it 6 years ago.I also have a vista premium laptop but I love this old XP machine in a different way.I will try to use it as long as I can.And I am plannimg to buy a Win7 desktop after this one.I will skip Vista.

17. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello cet:

Had a Learning thread on Kerio 2.1.5 that would interest you I think:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=182158

One thing I remember about Kerio was that the order of the rules is very NB the PC processes the rules from the top down.

The user (you) should put ip's, ports etc into these rules in order to gain better control over outbound.

Also you need "block all" rules at the bottom of the rule set to minimize leakage.

Another idea would be for you to try OA 151 the free version which does rule building for you and gives a HIPS.

But, only one FW and or HIPS at a time.:D

Good luck .

PS: I have an 8 year old PC as well, works fine.

18. cet

cet Registered Member

Wow that is too much for me.All I can do is to use Kerio 2.1.5 out of box.I really do not understand anything about firewalls.
    So which one is more secure if used out of box; sygate or Kerio 2.1.5
    Since I do not use the web guard function in Antivir Premium,proxy issue only effects the mail guard.Is there a way to fix it?

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The best non-techie FW as is out of the box is Online Armor. If I like it it's simple to use. :D

20. cet

cet Registered Member

Awwwww,so I have to go back to my first post.I was using OA and wanted a lighter firewall.From what I have understood if you know how to make rules you can have a light set-up,if not you have to use more RAM.
    I want a light and out of box firewall,which I think does not exist after reading all the posts.:'(

21. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

You want tallemu to send u their firewall in a boxed package?
    Kaspersky has a nice light firewall but its in a suite :(.

22. cet

cet Registered Member

If you can read my first post in this thread you can see that I was using OA paid.I uninstalled it and I have still 560 more days of subscription.LOL

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Cet:

Nope, If you can't do kerio I understand.

Try OA Free out of the box it doesn't take much resources.

Just uninstall all other FW's first!

24. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

You've pretty much nailed it. The trade off is: out-of-the-box = little or no user intervention = automatic function-setting = more RAM needed to cover all important bases

VS.

user-defined = more flexibility = more fine-tuning control = (usually) less RAM needed because you can eliminate a lot of stuff included in automatic out-of-the-box apps.

FWIW, I use OA AV+ on one of my machines and it uses a total of 20 MB of RAM (on average); and I use Comodo ver. 3.xx on my other computer and it uses a little less. My lightest set-up was Jetico ver 1, but it needs considerable user intervention to set it up right, and is still not as comprehensive as either OA or Comodo. Jetico 1 also used about 15 MB of RAM, so not much of an improvement in that category.

You also might want to try IObit's Advanced WindowsCare Personal v. 2 (it's totally free, not shareware). It has some nice clean-up functions, including the best RAM cleaner/compactor/defragger I have ever seen. I usually don't recommend a RAM defragger for those who use XP (like me) because XP does a decent job of freeing up RAM on its own, but IObit's made a pretty good one that can seriously scrub off unneeded RAM usage. I went from a steady 40% RAM tie-up on a 2 GB RAM lap top, down to a 20-25% tie-up. Of course it will creep back up if you don't clean it regularly, but that's not hard to do, takes just a moment, and it's still a pretty good way to free up limited RAM resources.

Sam Spade

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  25. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

LOL he just left OA. now your telling him to go back o_O

On another note OA. on my system made playing any games unplayable it would try to use 30% CPU constantly why in game made the mouse non responsive and made the FPS drop 30-40 any idea maybe why ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.