Firewall and Anti-Virus Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dragon, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member

I've recently declined to reinstall my subscription of Trend Micros Internet Security Suite and opted to try Agnitum's Outpost Pro (Trial version) and NOD32 (Trial). I was disappointed in each. Outpost because it had obvious conflicts with my existing anti spyware programs and on a number of occasions had to be disabled in order for me to access the internet. NOD identified two viruses that pc Cillin had missed but it took Bit Defender's online scanner to remove.

During my search for adequate protection I learned of a program surrounded in controversy: eAcceleration's Stop Sign which uses the most powerful anti-virus I've ever come across. What's questionable is their firewall and full time monitoring. Does anyone have any first hand experience or knowledge? I know they were in the hot seat a couple of years ago for spyware and aggressive marketing the word is that they've been given a clean slate in that area.

Can this program be trusted and can anyone address their firewall?

Thanks

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Of course it is up to you if you use it but it will never be put on my computer, I like my computer to work the way it does, fast and clean. Pc-cillin nod32 or almost any of the av's mentioned in the forum will give you better protection than stop-sign.

3. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member

Stop Sign

Can you please explain you comments? It is my understanding that Stop Sign is powered by Dr. Web (one of if not the most powerful AV in the market place. The main reason for my question is that they supposedly have they have created a suite of programs that should provide a great firewall (whose source I don't know) combined with some type of online monitoring.

You made a comment but offered no explanation.

4. bigc73542

it is not particularly the brand of av they use as much as the crap they install on your pc regardless of what their site says. i have tried it out simply to see what it tried to do and after my trial of it i definatly won't install their software on my comp or any of the computers I work on. but as I stated earlier it is your decision if you want their software on your computer.

5. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member

Got it. I really did not understand what all of the fuss had been about. I'll go back and try NOD 32 again. What about a firewall? I think I'd prefer to keep the two separate from now on.

Thanks

6. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Try NOD32 again... I abandoned it for a time... Now I'm testing it one more time and I'm liking so much...

7. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member

NOD really does sound like it might be my best bet with Bit Definder as a back up. That's exactly what I was doing. Perhaps I was better off that I realized.

I see you're using Look n' Stop as a fire wall. I've only heard of it but decided to check it out when I saw you were using it. Wow! I'm impressed with the first reviews I found.

One more question. The trial version of Outpost I was using seems unwilling to leave me. I have tried my Add Remove program with no success and it has no actual uninstall feature. All I get is a small window that looks like an error window (though it doesn't say) that reads 222. When I click OK nothing happens. How can I get Outpost off of my computer?

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I think what bigc was alluding to :doubt: is that eAcceleration's Stop Sign had a HUGE cloud of controversy hanging over it in the past, with it installing uninvited 'guests' on your PC. eg: 'Drive-by' installs without user's knowledge. VERY UNprofessional.

It was extremely difficult to 'optout' of it once installed and there was a *massive* thread on it a while back at DRL Reports that ran for pages.

I followed that thread [unfortunately could not relocate it] and it was a joke IMPO even with StopSign staff adding to thread trying to justify it.

Now, I must also point out that StopSign **was** on Eric Howes' Rogue List of Anti-Spyware programs which has since been removed and they do appear to have lifted their game. HOWEVER, it's still a stigma [rightly or wrongly] which will never be fully overcome IMO. I too, along with many many others, who had anything ever to do with StopSign's history, will *****never***** install it on any of my PCs....period!

Lavasoft's AdWare also had StopSign listed in it's database of 'bad' listings, but has since downgraded it's 'dangerous' level, but it is *still* listed.

Source: Blog article here: http://www.lavasoftresearch.com/blog/?p=94#more-94

As to question of AV, stick to NOD, I use KAV and either of those 2 are very good.

As to Firewall, well, up to you to try. Many different opinions here. Personally using Kerio 4.2

Cheers, TAS :)

9. kkkkk

kkkkk Guest

Did you set NOD32 on maximum settings? There is nice goide of how to do that on NOD32 forum made by Blackspear.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks for the good explaination Tassie. I was unaware of these things. I switch AVs every year or so. I will stay away from this one.

:ninja:

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Dragon

If you like DrWeb, then why not use the real thing, instead of a clone?:)

12. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member

Tassie,

Thank you for taking the time to render an explanation that helps me to understand exactly what all of the fuss has been about. I just became aware of this forum and the great information being shared here.

One more question. How can I get the Outpost Pro (trial version) off my computer? I've tried add remove programs but it won't leave. There appears to be no uninstall feature available. I keep getting a 222] message when I try to uninstall and when I click OK nothing happens. Has anyone seen this before?

13. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Where did you find Bit Defender's online scanner? I went to their website but didn't see an online scanner.

14. bigc73542

BitDefenders online scanner is Here

15. JVM

JVM Registered Member

Thanks!

16. Carol30

Carol30 Registered Member

JVM..

I haven't used Bit Defender's online scanner, but I have gone to the link suggested within this thread. Just above the license agreement on the right, it does say, "Scan Online".

As I said, I haven't tried it, but I would assume, if you agree to the license, you should be able to use it.

Carol

(Sorry.. hadn't seen above 2 replies when I "submitted" this)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2005
  17. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Dragon .
    Try :
    To uninstall the drivers:
    Press "Start", "Run".
    Click "Browse" and go to the Outpost install folder.
    Click on "install.exe".
    In the Run dialog's "Open" field you will see something like C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\install.exe (note that the this may vary depending on where you installed Outpost).
    Add "-u" to this string to get C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\install.exe -u
    Deleting the folders:
    Delete the Outpost install folder (default is C:\Program Files\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\)
    Delete the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Agnitum Shared\
    Clearing the Registry:
    Press "Start", "Run"
    Type in "regedit.exe"and press OK
    Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall\
    Delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Agnitum\Outpost Firewall
    Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Agnitum\aupdate

18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I just installed Pc cillian 2005 Love it!! Im back to my old AV !! but i do use online scanner's as back up!! And Msoft Antispware along with spybot trojan hunter 4.2 enough for me ! TREND ALL THE WAY :eek: :eek:

19. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Life gits tedious don't it........:D :D :D

Cochise,:cool: Thinking of cutting my wrists because my Firewall is trying to control my life......................NOT............Get a life for Gods sake.......and stop whining.....

Cochise,:cool:

20. davidnason

davidnason Registered Member

Dragon,

thanks for your comments about eAcceleration's StopSign product. Much has been reengineered in the past year(plus) to make it a useable antivirus/antispyware product. The same effort is now in progress on the realtime scanner. And we are about a week away from release of a significant update to the firewall (to that end, I would like to hear about your experience with our firewall in the past).

Lavasoft's Ad-Aware has removed StopSign from its bad list as well (reduced to Tac3 in 10/05 and removed completely since).

eAcceleration has undergone massive reorganization and the software products through major refactor/rewrite. We are aware that we have past history to overcome, but bit-by-bit we are succeeding.

I urge anyone to try it anew. And, FYI, eAcceleration does NOT install anything beyond what you select.

One of our strengths has been our realtime Technical Support. No matter how thorny the problem, our Technical Support teams will work directly with you to fix it (email, chat, phone).

Another is our Custom Cleaner mechanism: much of the nasty malware encountered today requires a solution specific for your computer at the specific moment. We're automating the process of getting customized fixes for your computer.

In any case, thanks for the positive comments. I hope you come back to StopSign some day.

Best Regards,

21. Yannis

Yannis Registered Member

Hi to all of you
    When it comes to AV and firewall combination you can see below what I am using, and it works just fine!!!
    Consider this as an alternative combination proposal.
    I hope it helps
    Yannis
    :) ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pentium 4, 512 RAM, 3 GHz, Win XP home SP2, IE 6
    ZoneAlarm freeware, Avast 4.6 home for real-time protection, Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper 4.5, SpywareBlaster, Spydefense beta, ArovaxShield 1.2, Arovax Antispyware, MSantispyware, Ewido 3.5 for
    real time protection.
    On demand scanning with AntiVir freeware and AVG free

22. JVM

JVM Registered Member

That's a lot of protection you have there :)

I am only using NOD32, LnS, SpywareBlaster, and Ewido at this time. I also use Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.