FirePanel XP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by controler, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

FirePanel XP is an add-on for the new firewall found in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server2003 SP1.
    It extends your Windows Firewall, with features not normally available.It sets rules, monitors firewall's activity, displays logs, helping you keep realtime tabs on what exactly your system is being exposed to.

There are multiples panes to display all important security & network info.
    A sniffer: For real time packet watching.

A logviewer: Displays the contents of Windows Firewall logs.

Connections Panel: Shows all connections on your system, including the process that owns it.

Firewall Rules: Can set custom IP ranges and port rules, limiting the surface of attack of your PC. If its not on your ruleset, it isnt getting through. Applications can also be limited to a certain scope of IPs, or just your LocalSubnet if you like. Protecting servers from most unsolicited internet traffic and malicious probes, you can specify which addresses can even find your open port. If they arent on the list, the packet is simply dropped.

Routing tables: Shows all your available routes through your network(s).

Stats: Shows your bandwith consumption, protocol errors, and number of packets going in & out.

Web updates

A Filters pane:New IP filtering acts as your first line of defense, prevent any incoming or outgoing activity traffic you choose from passing through your connection; never even reaching the program or port rules. This is a tool never seen in the Windows Firewall. Add a rule with the remote IP as source, and you wont hear from him again.

http://www.router19.org/software.aspx

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The term "add-on" seems rather significant here. If FirePanel builds on Windows firewall's existing functions, then it would seem very likely that it would share its weaknesses (specifically the ability to be disabled or reconfigured by malware). However the sniffer looks like it could be useful - and it is donation-ware.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I cannot access the link at all o_O Outpost asks me about allowing access on TCP port 8080 (create a preset or allow once) - I permit once but the page remains blank o_O

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Try disabling Javascript in the Active Content plugin (the connection is due to loading the graphic router19.org:8080/logo.gif which is in a Javascript section).

There is a known problem with the Active Content plugin which can result in some web pages never fully loading if Javascript is allowed - this has been reported as fixed in the next version.

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks for the info on this as it also triggered the fact that my router will not allow some Java content to load unless I set the firewall down a little from the setting I am currently using! I have to do this in order to run the speed test at ADSL broadband UK too. I was puzzled as to why it wouldn't load as it did when I had a Netgear router. I had just installed the Efficient Networks router and then discovered what was happening. Thanks again, I was able to view with router set down lower and Outpost content filter plugin disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.