Firefox's massive overhaul moves to beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, I don't want to tempt fate though. :doubt: lol

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Enter about:buildconfig in the address bar and then click on the "built from" link and it will tell you which version it is. I'm running the beta 5 I just downloaded from Majorgeeks. So far I am liking this version. I didn't expect to. I guess it's better to try something than to just complain that it will be different.

3. Daveski17

OK cheers for the tip. I've just checked again and it says I'm up to date still, although it appears I'm on beta 4. I'll check periodically and see what updates happen. I tend to agree with you about Australis. I originally downloaded the beta because I wanted to see how much had changed from the regular release. After configuring the beta to how I like Fx, including most of the extensions I tend to use, it doesn't seem too different and looks better I believe. I've had no problems or bugs so far either.

aboutbuildPEG.jpg

4. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Let's also mention "explicitly ask" as well, since that is the middle ground that both informs users and assures there are no surprises.

It's certainly possible for someone to be given "make this opt-out" orders by a person above them. Personally, and professionally, I think there are lines that developers should not cross even when ordered to do so. Those above me would know better than to try that on me. If a coworker were pressured to cross a line, I'd be very supportive and try to get yet more coworkers to take a stand as a group. I've never had to do this, I'm pleased to say.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Daveski17

Don't ya just hate it when that happens! I think I'll wait to see what happens next.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Meanwhile, Aris has been working really hard on Classic Theme Restorer, brand spanking new and already indispensable:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/versions/

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Please look at this post: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=13451369#p13451369

It lists some of the Australis "features". What concerns me is the section titled "Locked". AFAICT, there are no settings (even in about:config) to unlock the locked items. If you find a way to access settings to unlock locked items, do let me know.

Right now, Aris' CTR does unlock some/most of the locked items but using an extension isn't the same as accessing settings available in a vanilla install.

In short, it would be okay if things were made somewhat inaccessible but Australis has gone beyond that.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Correct, my "their" is a typo; it should have been a "this" as stated in a previous Post of mine.

BTW, the site is labeled by Mozilla as a support resource: Get community support (Additional resources).

FYI. The Download Firefox Beta in your language is now showing all 29.0b5.exe's.

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

mine just got updated to Beta version 5, apparently some security issue.

anyway, so far so good.
    i had some issues with FX shutting down properly but that only has happened once in the last 3 days.

i like the new look a lot better than the previous version.

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

13. Daveski17

I've just checked the updater and I'm now up to 29.0b5 as well. So far, so good!

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Daveski17

OK, cheers.

16. Daveski17

Just updated to build 29 0b7 release. Looks good.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do you know if the number of betas is typically fixed? In other words will Firefox v29 be released after beta 7 or 8, etc, or is it open ended? I'm curious as to when v29 with australis is going to hit the street.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Victek, according to Releases Scheduling, April 29th is the target date. Also, see Rapid Release Calendar for other branches' target dates. I think the number of Betas is predicated on the issues that they find, although the above calendar shows Beta 9 will be the final before release.

20. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

It is said they will change how "sync" works? Please do that, this "sync" function never worked well, and is ridiculously bad.

21. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

22. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for this! I love Cf and have to admit your post was somewhat disappointing, however, after reading the information in the link my opinion now is that things don't seem so bad! Kind of hard to imagine Cf is a one man show. Months and months ago I asked him If I could donate and he replied he didn't need/want any. Great person!

23. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

This is wonderful news!

24. Daveski17

Fx 29 ob8 Build1 seems to be going well.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It is. I have had no trouble with any of them. Looking forward to the final.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.