Firefox's massive overhaul moves to beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

current 57 nigthly broke at least one webextension (context search). and the rest of api is still not present, modified chrome extension are not usable.

2. guest

guest Guest

And there is no WebExtensions API for accessing of stored passwords. Such addons won't function too:

3. Brummelchen

there exist nothing to export in chrome(ium), only outsourced connections. (eg lastpass and similar).
    at least the last password filler has gone dead (already in v61)
    current method is browser-itself, in chromium i have to enter my windows-password to view my password eg for wilders. i think firefox will do it mozilla way as usual. (and known)

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Schedule Update.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 56 Beta 8 released September 1, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (6.8 MB - 64-bit).

The Firefox Beta page's Download button downloads Firefox Installer.exe (240 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b8.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 56 Beta 9 released September 6, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (6.0 MB - 64-bit).

The Firefox Beta page's Download button downloads Firefox Installer.exe (240 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b9.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Just discovered that Calomel SSL Validation might be a goner:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/calomel-ssl-validation/

8. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, the Calomel guy indicates that he's waiting for the dust to settle before trying to get the extension going again.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 56 Beta 10 released September 8, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (6.5 MB - 64-bit).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b10.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 56 Beta 11 released September 12, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (6.8 MB - 64-bit).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b11.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 56 Beta 12 released September 15, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (6.9 MB - 64-bit).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b12.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

14. Rasheed187

OK, since nobody has any idea why videos stopped working, is there an easy way to reinstall my profile without loosing any settings?

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Have you checked the Flash player?

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/

16. Rasheed187

Actually, Flash video is working, but HTML5 video isn't on most sites. It started about two week ago, so something must have triggered it. But like I said, all video plugins are enabled and with extensions disabled it still won't work. The only thing I can think of is changing auto-play and telemetry settings. If that doesn't work, I will have to do a reinstall or renew my profile.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 57 Beta 3 Quantum released September 26, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (13.3 MB - 64-bit).

The Firefox Beta page's Download button downloads Firefox Installer (300 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 56.0b3.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

Release Notes.
    System Requirements.

Also, Firefox 57 for Developers.
    Firefox 57 Site Compatibility.

WARNING: This version will auto disable all add-ons/extensions not compatible with Firefox 57!

FYI. Member summerheat has created a discussion thread here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/firefox-57-an-overview-of-whats-new-with-resources.396305/

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've been having similar problems. My workaround has been to use Chrome for those sites. I'm too lazy to reinstall Firefox with a new profile not knowing it it will fix it.

19. Brummelchen

simple as that - use v56 as working browser and v57 as experimental. i have done this way - beside chromium.
    but - major changes in firefox 57 were announce early enough - you have been warned, being upset now is only yours. you have 6 weeks to get an arrangement with firefox, thats more than fair enough.

20. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Funny. It's the other way round for me (on Linux): Firefox displays HTML5 videos as it should but Chromium (without flash installed) does not on specific sites.

21. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

Installed v57 beta 3 last night, everything seems okay. I noticed however that neither the downloads interface, nor (more importantly imo) the bookmarks interface have been revamped. I thought they would have been redesigned. Perhaps they think 'if it aint broke'. They look out of place with the sleeker design, I think.

22. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

What's wrong with both? I like how they are.

23. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

Matter of opinion, I think they look outdated. And the bookmarks manager definitely should be improved, even if superficially, updated to coincide with the newer look. Just my opinion.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hate the Downloads dialog since how ever long ago they changed it to what it is now. That's what add-ons are for I guess. I hope there will be some moving forward.

25. Brummelchen

get "Elite Download Manager"
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/search/?q=download manager&appver=57.0

more people with their own investigations/researches needed!
    too much people standing still.
    https://mozilla.github.io/extension-finder/
    yesterday i spend some hours to collect, examine, compare extensions, finding replacements. ok, i am on holiday but i did it before on weekend - brain storming.

get help to help yourself.

nerds using scripts they dont understand to mimic previous used extensions. ofc that works but its nothing for the masses.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.