Firefox's massive overhaul moves to beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Mar 21, 2014.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've tried many things, but it seems to be changes they made to hardware acceleration. This would be a smart time for them to make some major improvements. With Windows 10 coming and IE being mostly hidden from the user it will lose a lot of market share. I don't expect that Edge will make up the difference.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 40 Beta 3 released July 10, 2015. Available via Internal Updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button downloads Firefox Setup Stub 40.0b3.exe (238 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 40.0b3.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Just Posted a Multiple Tab behavior that it's also happening with Firefox 40 Beta, however, this version has removed a couple of Tab options from its General section:

2015-07-11_115657.png

Gone are: Warn me when closing multiple tabs and Warn me when opening multiple tabs might slow down Firefox.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Note that warning upon closing multiple tabs is an option in Tab Mix Plus in case that functionality needs to be restored.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Victek, I don't like to use many add-ons, yet, that's a very good suggestion for those who do. Thanks!

PS. The Save and Quit tweak via auto:config, works on this Beta version as well.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 40 Beta 4 released July 14, 2015. Available via Internal Updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button downloads Firefox Setup Stub 40.0b4.exe (238 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page still downloading 40.0b3.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions @ time of post.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Can someone tell me why some images do not get displayed in Firefox whereas they show with IE. I'm not sure at what point this happened, but I get a lot of square boxes showing up on various sites when browsing. Here's an example.
    FF FF.jpg
    IE IE.jpg

9. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Do you use the Firefox addon NoScript? If so, check option Forbid @font-face.

fontface.jpg

10. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Well, I had a problem on Win10 where I was getting a tab loop in conjunction with the windows store app being launched. I couldn''t get rid of it even in safe mode. I had to do a refresh which fixed the loop and allowed the store app to launch, but now I am in the process off reinstalling my extensions. I haven't gotten to NoScript yet.

After looking into this a bit further, I found the problem is caused by not allowing sites to use their own fonts (Options, Content, Advanced...). A lot of sites don't do a good job on their fonts, so I had the option turned off. Turning this option on to get rid of the boxes is not a good solution for me, but more and more sites are starting to sarcasm: improve esarcasm: their design and the boxes are appearing more and more and sometimes you can't tell what they do when mousing over them (PITA). I did find another addon that alleviates the allow all or nothing problem though. It's called Document Font Toggle

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. subhrobhandari

subhrobhandari Registered Member

13. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Is there a "Click to Play" like in Chrome? For videos.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Infected

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Infected, you're welcome! Take care.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 40 Beta 7 released July 24, 2015. Available via Internal Updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button downloads Firefox Setup Stub 40.0b7.exe (237 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 40.0b7.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

18. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Thanks, JR! :thumb:
    Just updated.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ArchiveX, you're welcome! Take care.

20. Infected

Thanks JR, just updated. :thumb:

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

https://github.com/mozilla/idea-town
    There are Idea Town UI/flow diagrams @ https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7dz7be1zm372mu/idea-town-WIRES.pdf?dl=0. Based on those and a couple of other datapoints, it appears Mozilla is intending to make this dependent upon, and revolve around, having a Firefox Account. In addition, it appears that these will be experiments involving code that requires testing. So in addition to bugs and possibly not yet incorporated safeguards that may jeopardize participants' security/privacy, there is likely to be phoned-home telemetry which may do so as well. Hopefully, the browser's telemetry related settings will be honored.

On a related note, Mozilla is pursuing something called Universal Search and it appears that it will be one of the Idea Town experiments. It appears to be a browser-based front end to searching, one that will have a monetization aspect to it, and one that will have a server/service component. One of the things I came across was an etherpad, which links to a related privacy study: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xYs5oWhO5Okp2oUJaJGEjOPWC2fbx2nFAhT-Ne0zK0E/. It appears that the study involved looking at a somewhat similar Cliqz addon as well as the addon Mozilla is working on, and the results weren't good. So you might want to approach both with caution and dig deeper if you intend to expose yourself to either one.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 40 Beta 8 released July 28, 2015. Available via Internal Updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button downloads Firefox Setup Stub 40.0b8.exe (237 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page downloads 40.0b8.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 40 Beta 9 released July 31, 2015. Available via Internal Updater.

The Firefox Beta page's Free Download button downloads Firefox Setup Stub 40.0b9.exe (237 KB).

The Download Firefox Beta in your language page now downloading 40.0b9.exe's 32-bit & 64-bit versions.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.