Firefox WebExtensions - Two years later, functionality test

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 23, 2019.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi JP. Usually the folder in Programs files gets deleted when you uninstall Firefox, but not the ones in Local and Roaming. The one in Roaming is really the one folder that's important that you delete before reinstalling Firefox. In that folder Firefox saves your user settings, Profiles. So, to start from scratch, after deleting that folder and rebooting the computer, you can reinstall Firefox. Good luck.

Bo

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

It's no different in Linux where the /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/ userspace directories are leftover and need to be deleted before re-installing Firefox.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

or you can start using ff portable by j.t. haller.

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@jpcummins

using 3rd party uninstallers is not a good idea. better to use windows' native built-in installer via progs & features.

5. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Reinstalled Firefox today and at least for now everything appears to be as it was. So I'm a happy camper. Thanks so much to bo elam and wat0114.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Glad you got it sorted, jpcummins. Too bad it takes such a drastic measure to fix, as was the same in my case. A search found some Mozilla sites that suggested other, less impactful ways to fix the issue, but none of them worked for me.

7. sabazi

sabazi Registered Member

I noticed the OP is using or suggesting AdBlock Plus. I switched from AdBlock Plus to uBlock Origin for Firefox a few years back after seeing some claims that the developers of AdBlock Plus had "sold out." I haven't really kept up with developments since then. For a while, it also seemed that uBlock Origin continued to work on websites that were deploying adblockers-mitigation strategies when AdBlock Plus would fail, but lately that doesn't seem to differentiate them much.

To anyone who cares to answer, are the two essentially the same, or are there real differences between them in their current forms?

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

@sabazi
    abp's an adblocking extension. ubo's a content blocking extension. with ubo, you can block (per site or global) 1st and/or 3rd party scripts, js, frames, etc. and ubo is better against anti-adblocking mechanisms. doesn't have "acceptable" ads nonsense. has its own filters too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.