Firefox vs Chrome memory usage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Oleg, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Seems like Chrome is no longer memory hungry anymore. Tested Chrome memory usage against Firefox. And Chrome is only using %2 more of RAM. Has Chrome fixed high memory usage compared to Firefox?. Using the same extensions and amount installed with Chrome as well.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  2. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

With Chrome, due to it's multi-process architecture, when you close a tab, memory usage reduces. You don't get that with Firefox currently.

3. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

What i did was. I have opened 6 tabs with the same webpages loaded, without closing them in Chrome to compare the usage of RAM.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

here (with no website)
    firefox fully loaded ~400mb
    opera fully loaded ~2gb

you need to compare blank browsers and with no plugin installed - so it depends on your system and installed other software.

and ofc - e10s will blow firefox too, not that much as chromium but i will.

to inspect firefox memory and where memory is leaked -> go about:memory

HTH

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

That's one of the biggest problems with "new generation" browsers, they are all resource hogs. With Opera 12 you could open 50 tabs, and it would only use about 600 to 800 MB of RAM.

6. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

You got a good point there. I am using some extensions that have the same functionality, but a different extension . For instance Page load time in Chrome and app.telemetry Page Speed Monitor in Firefox. Also extension size could matter as well.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I don't use Opera but that statement of yours reminded me of Firefox V3. I used to love that browser. I easily had 70+ tabs at a time with Tree Style Tab add-on.

8. Rasheed187

Yes, I know multiple process browsers are good for security, and most people have enough RAM nowadays, but I still prefer lightweight browsers. I mean it's ridiculous, even with no tabs open, Vivaldi is already using 500 MB or so. I would be willing to pay for a new Opera 13 version (single process) based on the Presto engine. For security you can always use a third party tool like a sandbox or AE.

9. Brummelchen

well, firefox 3 was faster, idd. but it is out of date and out of technology. and true, firefox became slower through the years but machines much more faster ;) even when opera 12 with the latest fox against ssl may a recommendation i would suggest firefox current v48 or ESR v45 with no extension. it is slow, even on my old machine with 2.4ghz single-core. matter of security.

when firefox e10s will be activated it is possible to limit instances to "1"

how fast firefox can be i always see when i start it for testing purpose on this machine with a clean profile. but since using opera with similar options firefox got less maintained by me. bit pity. opera (or chrome in general) is now perfoming like firefox will do next year with e10s and webextensions (which can be used on all browsers). that will be the next big step for firefox users - i can smell lots of upcoming rants now (like always when mozilla changes "important" things).

10. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Lets wait until Firefox e10s will be fully implemented...;)

11. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

But that doesn't isolate browser processes against each other.

12. Rasheed187

I think you already explained this before, but honestly I have never encountered any security problems related to this. The biggest threat to browsers are exploits, and those can be easily mitigated with AE + sandbox. I would choose a single-process and lightweight browser over a resource hungry and more secure browsers any day.

13. summerheat

It's not only a security problem. If in a single-process browser one tab crashes, the whole browser crashes. This doesn't happen in a multi-process browser. Besides, a multi-process browser is snappier and more responsive. I've been running Firefox with e10s enabled and 10 processes for some time and I can feel the difference. Yes, it needs more RAM - but today's computers usually have enough RAM (at least I have with my 8 GBytes) unless you have many big applications running permanently. RAM exists in order to be used.

14. Rasheed187

OK, I see. I agree that freezing and crashing of the whole browser is very annoying if it occurs. But I don't believe that Chrome/Vivaldi is more snappy than Opera 12, it's only faster to load web-pages because the Presto engine is outdated. But when it comes to opening tabs and switching between tabs there is no difference on my system.

15. Brummelchen

i think it will separate. opera main frame has high integrity, one child with low integrity the rest untrusted, all DEP.

explanation here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625963.aspx

only root process has privileges, supervising. so called "sandbox"

PS firefox crashes per anno i can count here with three fingers, in most cases only the plugin (flash) crashes - who cares with html5.

16. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I was a huge fan of Firefox. And was experienced crashes and freeze ups with it, but not with Chrome. Yes it's uses more RAM especially watching a true 1080p HD content. With Netflix and Hulu video quality is not even 720p.

17. Brummelchen

firefox has the ability to point out system issues ^^
    and ofc somehow trouble with almost all ATI drivers since ever, very few with nvidia.

we should wait for servo/rust and how firefox will behave.
    comparing firefox and chrome is like apples and oranges, too many differences.

18. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Also. If you know how to tweak software or OS you are using. You are good to go.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  19. Brummelchen

ofc i know.

ps weird translation?

20. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

It's just funny. Even after tweaking Firefox it still would crash.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  21. summerheat

Quite frankly, since you didn't tell us what you tweaked, which add-ons you're using and under what circumstances Firefox crashes, nobody can help you.

Well, one hint nonetheless: Start firefox -p and create a new profile. Try if Firefox still crashes with that new profile.

22. Brummelchen

he can start with infos from about:support - copy (not raw) and insert here.

tweaking firefox to make it faster or using ram - pointless up to useless.
    tweaking firefox concerning some data - ofc possible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.