FireFox, Top Security/Privacy Extension

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by zpro, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've added the Antisocial & Malware Domains sub lists (again) in ABP.

I removed them previously in my mission to trim down addons. I think the Antisocial list speeds up a lot of sites blocking all the Facebook & Twitter elements. And since I run no real-time AV I think things like the Malware Domains list & WOT are useful front line tools, along with NoScript.

So my sub list is now:

EasyList
    EasyPrivacy
    Antisocial
    MalwareDomains

Addons:

ABP
    CS Lite Mod (cookies denied globally)
    HTTPS-Everywhere
    NoScript (scripts denied globally)
    RequestPolicy (no default block list)
    WOT (negative results only, no popups, warnings only)

... Element Hiding Helper for ABP (disabled)

2. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

well after further testing i decided to remove firegloves it indeed messes with the browsing experience and not just a couple sites as caspian mentioned, same goes for secret agent , ill be removing both of these theyre too unstable to be usable in a normal browsing experience unless you enjoy broken sites and the like, even the official firegloves site mentions it being in testing stage

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  3. luciddream

I've recently added "BrowserProtect" for hijack prevention, and "VTzilla" to scan potentially malicious links without opening the page... because you can't always trust WOT ratings.

I've also since added "Download Statusbar", and added VT Hash Check into it's AV tab to auto-scan downloads for me.

Browsing is just as snappy as it was prior.

BrowserProtect also makes a (free) product that protects IE, Chrome, and Firefox to install on your box... not just the FF addon.

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Who is Sheldon Lennon? Whois records for both browserprotect.com and browserprotect.org are inconclusive.

5. luciddream

Never heard of em... but I've tested this add-on and it does what it's supposed to do, and is not malicious. The main site is also clean. The only red flags I saw were some WOT comments hating on the guy, but you can find them about just about every product/dev. known to man.

I haven't tried the premium version, or whatever (the one that protects all 3 browsers), so I can't speak for that one. But this add-on works well.

6. Add

Sanitizer 0.50
    Ask for Sanitizer 2.1

Recommended.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Many of those protection/privacy firefox add-ons mentioned here I think are not needed anymore if you have Sandboxie. :cool:

8. luciddream

True, and I even removed BrowserProtect after considering that. Not to mention that my D+ would start cursing at me if something tried to hijack FF. I realized how utterly pointless it was.

I have caching disabled so Sanitizer wouldn't do me any good. Also have CCleaner set up to securely wipe my sandbox at close.

Some things have also been made obsolete by Firefox updates, like BetterPrivacy, now that FF treats flash cookies just like any other cookie. Also DNT+, now that the same can be accomplished via a check box in options.

9. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Application: Firefox 15.0.1 (20120906203140)
    Operating System: Linux (x86-gcc3)

- Adblock Plus 2.1.2
    - Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon 0.4
    - BetterPrivacy 1.68
    - Cookie Monster 1.1.0
    - Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.3
    - NoScript 2.5.6

10. sweater

With my Firefox in Sandboxie, the only add-ons I have for privacy/protection are Adblock Plus, HTTPS-Everywhere and WOT.

Also KeyScrambler, a free browser add-on that encrypts your keystrokes at the keyboard driver level and decrypts them at the destination application, giving keyloggers "scrambled," useless keys to record. ;)

http://www.majorgeeks.com/KeyScrambler_d5885.html

If you want to add more security measures for your privacy then just use proxies or VPN and even multiple proxies but it just makes browsing slower. Or another pc w/ a blank info.

We are a little bit paranoid about privacy, but we've forget the fact that we are already in an information age where informations are gathered and are everywhere and it's just one of the many side effects of being in the cyberspace using the internet.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

For me:

AdBlock Plus
    LastPass
    NoScript
    WOT

12. luciddream

I would think multiple proxies would def. slow you down. Even 1 does. But I run one VPN hop through another multi-hop (2) one and it's actually hardly any lag at all. I'd say a half second tops. On some sites with very few objects trying to load, practically no change. But sometimes I even run a tunnel (proxy) through that, and that's where the slowdown comes.

I know about KeyScambler. Used to use it too, but not anymore.

I'd say NoScript can help you even if you don't want the hassle of the script blocking and allow scripts globally. It does other (unintrusive) things too. RequestPolicy with a good whitelist. And for cookie management (if desired), CS Lite Mod.

But the real substantial (privacy) gains can be had via modifying the about:config

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  13. sweater

Yap, proxies and vpn could slow you down..maybe depends on locations, signal strength and which one responds well to your pc. Even some sites didn't showed up and are problematic with it.

What's you're currently using now...if you are not using KeyScrambler anymore? Maybe...it's more effective, reliable and "solidly built" than KeyScrambler but of course are still are free. :D

Also, we are very interested to know what things did you modified in the about:config to gain more privacy using firefox? Please, could you share it with us? :rolleyes:

14. luciddream

Look for a post titled: "Firefox - change these for better privacy" (no quotes). I don't have it favorited anymore. In there we discuss how to tweak FF to make it like the Tor Browser Bundle version. User DasFox came up with some great tweaks, and I'm sure it took time on their part so hats off to them.

Also, I didn't replace Keyscrambler with anything, I just removed it. I felt that Comodo D+ was already sufficiently protecting me in this regard. Nothing on my box has access to my keyboard, or keystrokes. So I didn't see the sense in granting exactly that to a 3'rd party program.

15. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

Are things like Tor, Jon Do, or other add-ons going to provide the anonymity a VPN would?

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

17. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Like this? ;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309748&highlight=Firefox

18. focus

focus Registered Member

19. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

20. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ok well this is what I saw;
    --------------------------------------------

I think you may be correct.

I've found that Cyberghost, Spotflux, and SecurityKISS do anonymize https.

However, Hotspot Shield does not. I must have tested this with Hotspot Shield previously. Shame on them.

--------------------------------------------

This --> do anonymize https has me wondering, what are we saying here that HTTPS needs some type of anonymization or else there's a problem?

THANKS

21. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

22. sweater

You can also add this:

Proxy List Addon for Browsers - Google Chrome & Firefox

"In order to provide users with a more elegant and user centric solution, we came up with the proxy list addon - an extension for Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The proxy list addon is quite an extraordinary one and will help proxy users to eliminate the headache of finding working proxies. Built with the aim of consistency, performance and user-friendliness, this extension has all that you need for anonymous surfing."

https://proxylists.me/proxylist-addon

23. happyyarou666

lots of interesting posts here i see

so from this old thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309748&highlight=Firefox

the solution to http session hasnt been found yet i asume , anything new on this ?, using refcontrol and set to block all default is still the best way on managing refs i guess thus Network.http.sendRefererHeader can be left at 2 and

network.http.sendSecureXSiteReferrer to false is still the best right?, the best cookie manager would still be cs lite i asume, used teabiscuit before

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  24. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

25. happyyarou666

ok after further testing i can say do not! disable network http use cache to false it will break youtube videos!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.