Firefox to deactivate most plug-ins by default

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Firefox to deactivate most plug-ins by default.

-- Tom

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is good, right? :doubt:

3. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

hmmm...I hope shumway comes to desktop sooner.
    than i can happily put flash plugin to curb as i did with adobe reader plugin :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It's a good thing.:thumb:

5. lotuseclat79

I have plugins from back before release 4.0 that I still use by virtue of having installed nightly tester tools by which you override the compatibility check for plugins in each new release - and I plan to use them regardless or as long as it still works that way.

I don't like that Mozilla makes decisions like this without a public discussion - so, no, I don't think it is such a good thing. For example, I depend on using NoScript to keep things sane for the browser. The question is will Mozilla create an equally good way to have all of the features that the plugins bring to the table less any security problems on the way they will implement what they believe to be the same as a plugin?

Since I use on the order of 40+ plugins, will Mozilla block ads like Ad Block Plus when the Aurora release hits the street. I expect then the s*it will be hitting the fan with Firefox users like myself. We will have to wait and see.

-- Tom

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Hmm not sure it is a good thing, but well, it at least improves security. Bit strange move though from Mozilla, with all their user-friendly "improvements" lately and now this user-unfriendly change. If they want improved security and be user-friendly, they better enable TLS 1.2 by default and finally start implementing sandboxing protection.

I think you might have Extensions and Plugins mixed up. Plugins are things like Flash, Silverlight, Office plugin, PDF plugin etc and Extensions are Adblock Plus, NoScript etc.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, I usually have to hack a plug-in (wmp dll file) into Firefox/SeaMonkey just to watch videos on BBC pages. This is de rigueur with the PortableApps versions as well as the local drive versions. The same thing has to be done with Chrome to watch the same BBC videos. Maxthon usually works without this procedure (it's probably using IE's wmp plugin). I don't know what's happening with Mozilla these days. This is why I favour SeaMonkey so much when I want to run a Gecko browser.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Good move. Plug-ins are an outdated concept. Time to move on to using cross-platform standards. Personally waiting for HTML5 adoption to increase and replace Flash on the web.

@lotuseclat79

Plug-ins and add-ons are different. Don't worry..
    enjoy your use of NoScript, ABP, etc.

9. lotuseclat79

Thanks for reminding me safeguy! Meanwhile back at the ranch, I have the following plugins:

Shockwave Flash Version: 11,2,202,310
    iTunes Application Detector
    VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 3.0.1)
    Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)
    DivX® Web Player
    QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

I have noticed a few websites that previously only worked with Flash have been adopting the HTML5 standard as an alternative way to view the swf files, so this is good work-in-progress to make that standard conversion happen down the road.

As for the future compatibility of each of the above plugins regarding their functionality, I would guess that new packages would provide the same, eh?

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.