Firefox Speed Tweaks *** WOW!! ***

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LockBox, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, it only logs dog house addresses. Funny that. :doubt:

:D *puppy*

2. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm ... it must be my [highlight]intrusion attempts[/highlight] on the [highlight]~inner sactum~[/highlight] :p :D (firewall logs)

I don't know what LongHorn :rolleyes: :D was talking about, the security is tight around here. :blink: :ninja:

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

3. newb

newb Registered Member

Can this speed improvement be measured via a speed test? Sorry for sounding skeptical, but if it works I might switch over. I average 1 kpbs on my DSL using IE of course.

4. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

Well I didn't say it was 100% psychological, I'm sure they help. In any case, have you tried to quantify the speed increase by official tests? Or is it merely, they feel faster?

Also Have you experimented with nglayout.initialpaint.delay ? That one is a 100% psychological tweak. But I find it's the one that makes the most difference in terms of how fast it feels.

Well it's early days yet. The main problem with pipelining is that it increases the chances of a broken request, this will be worsen the more tabs you try to open at the same time. Some older servers do not support this feature either.

Whether you will experience such problems depends a lot on the speed of your connection, and to a much lesser extent your proccessor speed.

Some people have told me that the maxmium is 8 anyway. Values above that will have no effect.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Perhaps one way you can prove that tweeks work or dont work .... is to actually try it yourselves. In the links posted to the neowin forum you will see that most will say that these tweeks have made a considerable diffirence . however there were a few who did not experience any great benefit. If you still consider every one who has gained speed increase dillusional .....then thats your choice..... however if you do see greater speed increase then thats an added bonus. . Regarding quantifying the speed increase by an official tests. I have not heard of such being done .

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This is sort of reminicent of an issue with internet explorer. I still have XP sp-1 and therefore I can increase my maximum connections per server to 10. If I had sp-2 i could increase it quite a bit higher.

i read somewhere that microsoft originally was concerned that DOS attacks using computers that were controlled remotely could cause more damage, and that certain problems could spread faster.

since it is no longer a concern of microsoft's i guess either servers have gotten better or microsoft doesnt want IE6 to be slower than firefox!

By the way n., the way I access this setting is through a free program called "XP-Antispy vers. 3.92" it lists many settings that most people would want to change from the default settings. it is a quick way to change settings. like i said, in my case i can only increase up to max connections to 10. Still that makes a difference

-HandsOff

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  7. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

Heh, I've being playing with this tweaks long before this product was called firefox or firebird for that matter, and my tests are inconclusive, it depends on a lot of factors.

Hmm no need to get emotional. I didn't say anyone was "dillusional", it's just a fact that a lot of these things are psychological in nature, eg the placebo effect.

Espically since the improvement in speed if any is likely to be very small. And no, I didnt say that there was definitely no increase in speed.

I presume you know that there are all sort of pages that time how fast a page is rendered. I'm asking whether you have tried to quantify the speed increase for you versus factory settings.

8. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

So are these speed tweaks "safe" or what?

9. dog

dog Guest

Hi Spray-on Dust, ;)

Yes :)

The best way to judge if they'll work for you is to try them out. The easiest way to change your config file is to use the extension, solarpowered candle mentioned. https://addons.update.mozilla.org/e...=firefox&id=327 If they don't jive well with your system, simply use the extension to revert back to the default. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Live a little. What's the worse that can happen? A complete hard-disk crash? I'm sure you have your backups for that eventuality.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I haven't been able to update my Kav 5 since yesterday which is a little concerning seeing as it updates every hour with the extended databases. Well I figured out what the problem was, it was the firefox speed tweaks that were somehow prevent it from connecting to the update servers. I guess I can do without the speed tweaks to be able to get my Kav updates. I might check to see if it was preventing anything else from updating.

bigc

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If indeed that's the cause....I'll definetly try to remember this while assisting with other programs here at Wilders that users have update problems with.

13. bigc73542

The problem started after I applied the tweaks and it didn't ring a bell till today. Kav says it uses IE settings to update, but it is really a coindence it quit after the tweaks and it auto updated right at reboot after removing the tweaks. I set the tweaks again and it would not connect to the server. And after removing them again it immediatly auto updated. That is enough for me to believe that the tweaks are not compatable with the Kav update server. The standard updates and the extended database updates both were affected.

bigc

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  14. solarpowered candle

bummer Bigc .... has no effect on my kav extendia updates

on another note.. a nice short read on firefox for any one who may be interested, and tweeks . these tweeks are all set for either broadband/ cable/ dialup. the readme tx needs to be read before applying your selection. http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=187044

15. bigc73542

solarpowered candle, does extendia update from extendia or from Kav?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  16. solarpowered candle

proberbly thru anti virus labs (g data)

17. bigc73542

Everything else I have was still updating according to their logs. It has to have some setting to do with the Kav server. But what the heck Firefox is fast without the tweaks. :)

bigc

18. solarpowered candle

Bigc if you want to try a really snappy version of firefox http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/
    no tweeks needed. unofficial builds designed for maximum security, stability, and speed .
    If you want a fresh start you could delete firefox and clean up your profiles folder (which will clean out your old firefox tweeks/ settings / bookmarks etc) > click Start > Run > type %AppData% > Enter. You will be taken to the "real" folder, which is normally C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data.There you can delete the mozilla /firefox folder with the profiles etc. I deleted my old mozilla /firefox folder and after installing firefox moox imported my fav from ie on to my firefox moox. you can leave the folder there but the old tweeks are better deleted.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  19. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm well I applied the original tweaks and have had no consequences except that FF does seem faster - and I do say faster as I have not tested via any speed test but it does feel faster. Whether its in my mind or not - bah I don't care I'll leave it this way so long as I have no trouble with it :cool: .

20. Firefoxguy

Firefoxguy Guest

Hate to say it. But I told you so.

These problems tend to creep up on you.

21. solarpowered candle

22. Notok

Notok Registered Member

23. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Notok, I looked at the site and read:

"No panic !!
    The new XP SP2 limit the number of TCP/IP connections to 10 !
    The idea of MS is to reduce the spreading of worms and other harmful programs. But 10 half-open connections is a little bit too less. With a higher (e.G. 25-100) number of waiting for connection connections the benefit would be almost the same, but less normal users would feel disturbed by this.
    I developped a GUI for the patch of Lv|Lord. Easier to use ! The English is available !!
    "

I thought the 10 connection limit imposed in SP-1 was eliminated in SP2. I wonder if MS waffled on this. was it changed back to 10? That's progress!

- HandsOff

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

these are the tweaks i've been using and never had any problems with. for me these tweaks make FF alot faster then IE.

// Enable pipelining
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", :cool:;

// Turn on timer-based reflow management
    user_pref("content.notify.ontimer", true);

// Sets the allowed time between reflows in microseconds
    user_pref("content.notify.interval", 750000);

user_pref("content.interrupt.parsing", true);
    user_pref("content.max.tokenizing.time", 2250000);
    user_pref("content.maxtextrun", 8191);
    user_pref("content.switch.threshold", 750000);

// Set the number of reflows to do before waiting for the rest of the page to arrive
    user_pref("content.notify.backoffcount", 5);

// Turn initial paint delay to
    user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 500);

// Set Maximum Connections Per Server
    user_pref("network.http.max-connections", 4:cool:;
    user_pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 16);
    user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy",16);
    user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", :cool:;

then i use these too. i don't know if the first one has been fixed or not :doubt:

Fix a memory leak in Firefox 1.0

Step 1. Type about:config into Firefox's Address Bar and press Enter.

Step 2. Right-click any row, then click New, Integer. Type or paste the following preference name into the dialog box that appears (this is a hidden preference that doesn't exist in the Configuration Console until you create it):

browser.cache.memory.capacity

Step 3. Click OK, then enter the following integer number into the next dialog box, representing 16 MB of RAM for the cache:

Step 4. Click OK to close the dialog box, then close all instances of Firefox and restart it.

here's the discussion at the FF forum -
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=172041

Force frames to be resizable on Web pages.
    if you visit Web sites that divide their pages into rectangular frames, but some of the frames aren't wide enough for you to see all of the words, you can tell Firefox to put borders around all frames so they're resizable.

To do this, use about:config to change layout.frames.force_resizability from "false" to "true."

Speeding up Firefox on Windows XP
    You can speed up the loading of Firefox on Windows XP by adding it to the programs that XP "prefetches."

To do this, right-click the Start Menu item for Firefox, or any icon you use to start Firefox, and open the Properties dialog box. Add a space plus /Prefetch:1 to the command line and click OK. The resulting line might look as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

25. waters

waters Registered Member

I am amazed to hear about kav update problems.
    I have used the tweeks for a long time ,and have kav and had no problems at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.