Firefox slowdown

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Gen, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Hey all, me again =)

I got a small problem with my Firefox browser. Basically it takes ~30 sec to load and I have no clue why.. It stalls on 8000-9000 cpu usage when I start it and when finally it goes up to 40000-50000 then the browser launches.

I disabled addons, 3rd party software but all the same. It takes that long to start my browser, with or without sandboxie and im going crazy. My IE starts under 3 secs 0.o

Anyone got a clue?

Here's my setup:

-Sandboxie
    -Avira AV
    -Defense+
    -Windows Vista Firewall

-AVG LinkScanner
    -Firefox (Keyscrambler, ADBlock+, CS Lite, NoScript, IDND, RefControl)

2. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

Happens to me as well, the loading time before FF starts can be up to 30 seconds sometimes and it can be quite frustrating. I have like 20 addons but i`m not sure if they are the problem, i also tried disableing some of the addons but i couldn`t tell so much of a differance before and after so i`m guessing the addons is not the problem here.

Any suggestions?

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Which vers of FF?

Did you do a clean install or just update over the top?

4. nightfox

nightfox Registered Member

Latest version 3.5.2 and i think i did over the top.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

My experience is slightly different in that I have found that since Firefox 2, over time it slows down considerably, especially starting up. That's with minimal addons and no Sandboxie or the like. However, I have always seen that Sandboxie itself also lengthens the start-up time for Firefox, but does not for Internet Explorer and Opera. I have no idea why, but it certainly does, at least in my case. I will say that approximately 30 seconds is an extremely lengthy amount of time for loading, you may want to start over with a new profile to see how that affects it.

6. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Version 3.5 for me.

I'm thinking of having a fresh install for the 3.5.2 version, dunno if it might work but it's worth to give it a shot since i'm out of ideas.

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

8. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

I run Firefox 3.5.2 on my Vista Business SP-2 box and it “feels” heavier and slower than Firefox 3.0 was.

I even have problems when trying to update the extensions I have installed [ by the way, the only one I have running is NoScript 1.9.8.7] and when I try to update it upon firing up FF I get an error message stating that NoScript had problems when trying to update.

Then, I repeat the update twice more and it finally updates if a new version of NS is available.

May be all these problems happen because I installed FF 3.5 on top of FF 3.0 but...who really knows ?

Regards,

Carlos

P.S: I do not run too many security applications on my computer, just only NOD32 4.0.437, WD, Ad Muncher 4.73, Windows Firewall and Windows7FirewallControl.

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Since when does FireFox qualify as Other Anti-malware Software?
    I would've thought Software and Services, maybe.

30 seconds loading is odd.
    Was it gradually up to 30 seconds or all of a sudden?

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I turned off my firewall and got it down to 18 seconds on a cold start and 4 seconds on a subsequent start. SpywareBlaster also accounts for a few seconds.

11. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Speedyfox looks like it does about the same thing as the Vacuum Places extension. Has anyone tried it?

http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

I agree this thread should be moved.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

And: Is there a difference between defragmenting ('vacuuming') and compacting the Places database (with SQLite Database Browser) or is it the same thing?

http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.