Firefox Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by encus, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi Eset.

I've been using ESS 4.2.64.12 and noticed that Firefox takes too long to open (approx 10 seconds) lately. Usually it opens very fast, like only 2 seconds.
    I haven't installed any new software so far, so what's the problem here? o_O

Thank you.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you check the size of the file "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\%Profilename%\sessionstore.js" ?
    Does excluding it make a difference?

3. encus

encus Registered Member

Hi Marcos.

I don't know cause it seems like I'm having trouble on finding that file you said above.
    Anyway, I've already tried to disable the protection of ESS temporarily then I opened Firefox again and it's back as fast as it used to be (took only 1 second). So my guess is that the problem comes from ESS.

Thank you.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try clearing your internet history in Firefox.

5. Marcos

Firefox stores information about open tabs or visited sites in the above mentioned js file which can grow to dozens of MB. Since js files are thoroughly scanned for script malware, under specific circumstances it may take seconds to scan sessionstore.js.

6. encus

encus Registered Member

Done that but still no change at all :'(

Thank you.

7. encus

encus Registered Member

Since the first time I installed Firefox, I've made the settings so all history (including browsing history, temporary files, cache, cookies, stored username & password, site preferences, etc) will be cleared when Firefox closes.
    So I think that is not the problem here :'(

Thank you.

8. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Have you downloaded any add-ons lately? Those and Firefox checking for updates during loading of the browser may cause it to take longer than usual.

To test whether or not ESET is involved, you could always temporarily disable protection, check Firefox's start time and then re-enable protection. I've always experienced long lag whenever loading Firefox for the first time after a reboot of the system.

9. Marcos

If disabling real-time protection makes a difference, I'd suggest excluding the js and htm? extensions from scanning for a test, one at a time. Narrow it down to the particular option will shed more light.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'd say that's a good guess. :)

11. encus

encus Registered Member

No, I haven't downloaded any add ons lately.
    And yes, I have tried to disable the ESS protection temporarily as I've mentioned before in the above post.

Thank you.

12. encus

encus Registered Member

Done that but still no luck :'(

Thank you.

13. Marcos

Does disabling real-time protection make a difference? If so, generate a Procmon log at the point the issue occurs, compress it, upload it somewhere and PM me the download link.

14. encus

encus Registered Member

Thanks, Marcos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.