FireFox Memory Usage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey Everyone,
    I am using my laptop running FireFox (latest version) and it seems to be using quite a lot of memory. I have it open with 1 tab open and this is how much memory is being used, sitting idle. Is this normal? The only extensions I have installed are: TabBrowswer, Adblock, and IEView (all newest versions).

Attached Files:

2. ice60

ice60 Guest

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks ice..I just tweaked it and it seems to have lowered the amount of memory usage and fires up a little faster as well.

Thanks again :)

4. ice60

ice60 Guest

good, i'll have to remember to use them when i undate firefox, i'm still using a slightly older version. i only really use Opera though at the moment. BTW it uses about half as much memory. if you like i'll have alook for the speed tweaks i use. on my PC it makes it very much faster. i have never used anyone elses speed tweaks. these are the ones i started using well over 6 months ago so i'm not sure what Firefox has changed to it's default shipping version now-a-days. anyway, in the past these tweaks made a big, big difference to speed. and caused no crashes.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=411626&postcount=50

5. ice60

ice60 Guest

for the speed tweaks, from the post above, go to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random nunbers and letters.Default User
    open, or create, user.js and copy and paste the tweaks there, then close the file and save it. make sure firefox is closed when you do it. as far as i know they are the fastest speed tweaks for Firefox :)

6. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Firefox also uses upwards of 35-40 MB of RAM on my system. I tried the "tweak", and it worked initially by immediately reducing it to 19 MB/RAM...but upon reboot, it's back in the 35-40 range. Doesn't seem to cause a lag on or affect my system performance, but does seem a bit high, though....

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Strange, I have never had a problem with Firefox and memory on my system. :doubt:

8. stumpmonkey

stumpmonkey Guest

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    About 15-20 tabs, i get 55K.
    Mrk

10. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

Look at my Firefox 1.5 memory usage!! It has been like that since I started to use this browser. What is wrong ?

Attached Files:

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

1.5 seems to have a problem with memory. I'm seeing the same and haven't been able to figure it out. Tweaks and all. :D

If anyone figures it out, please post.

12. dog

dog Guest

It's usually related to the overhead caused by extensions, disable them all and slowly add them one by one, giving time for browsing in between each one, checking the usage before, during and after and you should be able to isolate the offending extension.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A tiny bit off topic, my FF also uses a huge amount of memory also but my opera uses a bit also. Hate to admit it but my IE runs lighter than my two favorite browsers :doubt:

Attached Files:

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm going to try the safe mode for awhile. If the memory use is still excessive, I would suspect a plugin. Flash perhaps.

15. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Firefox has a memory leak, and everybody knows about it on spreadfirefox since it's quite an old leak - Yet they have not fixed it. It's actually more severe with 1.5, it can consume up to 1GB of memory (or more).

But the usual memory usage on my pc is around 30-50mb (if I remember to close it when done surfing).

16. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

My Opera 8.51 works smoothly with no more than 25-35 mb

Attached Files:

17. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe they can fix it in their next version... ;)

18. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

The Fox has always been piggy when it comes to memory load. The more RAM you have, the more physical memory it will use. You can temporarily release the memory by minimizing FF.

19. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I doubt it. The FF team knew about this leak well before FF went public, and they have done nothing to correct it.
    Don't get me wrong, FF is my fav browser, but the developers ignore certain bugs they can't fix.

And this includes the old memory leak.

20. sweater

Firefox is a dog, and I think it's one of the most intelligent animal in the world that's why dogs becomes man's best friend, and it will naturally have a good "photographic memory". :D Very active, uses lots of energy and also very loyal and friendly to his master. :cool:

For me I just treat this Firefox browser that way, just like some of the most effective anti-spywares around there that tends to also eats up and uses lots of memory in our pc. :(

Firefox browser is my favorite browser but still it's not perfectly made, we the users could still found some flaws on it. At least it was free, more secure and this becomes one of the best even if it's not perfect. :cool:

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

See my Avatar for the simple solution :)

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have 22000K in Task Manager, but I use only three extensions.

23. Arup

Arup Guest

BigC,

The reason IE shows less memory use is due to the fact that its already loaded in Kernel memory so what you see is interface memory load, my Opera is max at 30MB, no more, and Opera lets you go down further by turning off Java as well as configuring for a fixed memory allocation under preferences.

24. sweater

I tried the latest Opera... but I don't why, my net speed is slower. :p

Maybe Opera could be more better if one is in a fast net connection. :rolleyes:

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Sweater,

Did you set Opera to identify itself as Opera or was it set to default IE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.