Firefox likely to win race to fix PWN2OWN contest bug

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dogbiscuit, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Article

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

3. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Yes, point taken. However...

To be fair, IE can't be included as they knew about and found a way to mitigate against the exploit technique before the contest started. As pointed out, the patch was already included in the version released the next day.

All this proved was that Mozilla fixed Nil's Firefox bug faster than Apple fixed his Safari bug (both browsers running on a MacBook).

Personally, I don't consider the 'race' by itself of much significance. What's more important and why I posted the article for discussion was the larger question it raised about who fixes their bugs sooner, especially the serious ones.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Fairness is a wonderful attribute. Unfortunately, it also often has little to do with reality. Microsoft's fix was delivered one day later, Mozilla's in three weeks, and that's all that matters if we want to talk about the race to fix the PWN2OWN bugs. And if Microsoft's one day somehow doesn't make them faster than Mozilla's three weeks, then all I can say is that it's Apple who was "fastest", not Mozilla.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Mozilla patches Firefox's critical Pwn2Own bug

But if you are running IE8 on Win XP, the browser is vulnerable: Hack contest sponsor confirms IE8 bug in final code

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Mozilla released it's patch for this bug (484320) 8-9 days after it was reported to them, a little over a week, not three weeks.

What are you talking about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.