Firefox (FF) - create desktop shortcut from tab to website

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by henryg1, Feb 27, 2024.

1. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

I should be able to drag a site's "padlock" icon in the address bar to my Desktop to create a shortcut to that website, but with FF sandboxed and whatever the isolation setting (inc Application Compartment) this does not work. It works with FF when not sandboxed.

I tried adding C:\Users\xxxxx\Desktop as an OpenFilePath but that made no difference, nor did disabling drop-rights.

I don't think this is due to any particular recent version of SB or FF. I used to use an extension but that doesn't work with the current FF platform. Dragging the padlock would be much easier anyway.

Is there a setting I can change without losing the benefits of SB/sandboxing?

2. henryg1

This happens with a brand new install of SB+ in the default sandbox, and whatever isolation level is set. It is SO ANNOYING!

3. henryg1

If you use Firefox with SB+ can you drag the padlock icon to the desktop to create a shortcut?

Due to another problem, I created a refreshed version of Firefox in a sandbox and this drag/drop problem still occurred.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  4. busy

busy Registered Member

https://sandboxie-website-archive.g...s/viewtopicd95cd95c.html?f=11&t=24375#p127822

5. henryg1

6. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Have you tried finding out at which sanboxie version your explorer.exe problem surfaced? It would help David to pinpoint what may have changed.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Henry, do as I wrote and suggested in that old Sandboxie thread (last post). It still works. I tested it last night.

Bo

8. henryg1

Hi Bo

But unfortunately,
    explorer will not run sandboxed on my setup.

I have tried a complete un/re-install of SB with only the default sandbox, and it still crashes every time. It doesn't matter what method is used to launch explorer sandbox, all fail.

Henry

9. henryg1

It's a good point and I will try a few older versions, but I have no idea how many versions to go back.

10. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Number just picked for example:
    I would just go back like 5 and test it. If it doesn't work go back 5 more. If going back like 15 versions and it still doesn't work I would say it is something with your windows (and other third party software installed) than sandboxie since not a lot other users mentioned this problem(talking about the not working sandbox explorer.exe). If it starts working I would remember at which version and would just go up 2 and test again.
    Take that with a bit of salt since my logic can always be flawed and wrong :D
    Remember to reboot after each uninstall and test with a fresh default sandbox. At least that would be my way to try it.

11. bo elam

You don't need to run Explorer sandboxed creating the sandboxed shortcut (the way I suggested you go).

Look below, detailed instructions for creating the shortcut:

Configure>Windows shell integration, click Add shortcut icon, in the Menu that opens up, you select the sandbox where you want the website link to open up sandboxed, after doing this, in the Desktop menu that opens up in the left top corner of the screen, find the unsandboxed shortcut to the website ( make sure it is located in the desktop) and click it. Afterward, you ll find the sandboxed shortcut in the desktop.

Bo

12. henryg1

Maybe as I'm using SB+ but I don't see the "add shortcut icon" you refer to - are you still using classic? Also, it not a specific website link I want, but the ability to quickly save any website link to the desktop.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding.

Henry

13. henryg1

I went back through various version to 1.9.8. No joy.

14. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

R U looking for Create Shortcut?
    Vintage View => Sandbox Tools
    Advanced/Simple View => Box Content
    png_18690.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  15. bo elam

Hi Henry, perhaps it is simpler and easier to create the sandboxed shortcut in Classic (Yes, that is what I am using). But you still should be able to create one using the guide I wrote along the screen posted by bjm in the post above.

Creating this shortcuts take about 10 seconds or less. Just follow the instructions.
    You know henry, in my opinion, if you are going to use Sandboxie, you should use it all the time not only part of the time which sounds to me is what you are doing when you want to create sandboxed shortcuts. Force your browser and forget about playing the game of sandboxing some websites and not others. I sandbox every website. I dont care what it is or how safe or dangerous I think it is. I treat all websites the same. Doing browsing like that keeps me safe, and it is how SBIE works at its best.

Regards

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.