Firefox extensions FEBE and Foxmarks

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Scoobs, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

I have used FEBE in the past and still use Foxmarks.

FEBE can be used to backup all your firefox extensions to a file that you can then port to another computer or use as a backup.

Foxmarks is an online bookmark syncroniser that does the same for your bookmarks (except that it stores them online)

Does anyone think there might be security implications about using either of these extensions?

2. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I don't know about FXMarks, but I installed FEBE, backed up my settings and started surfing. Immediately I noticed some strange outbound connections thru my firewall. After checking them out, they were outbounds to FEBE's home page. I still have my FEBE BUs and FEBE available to reinstall to FX add-ons, but I uninstalled it from add-ons. When I uninstalled FEBE, the outbounds stopped.

3. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Personally, I don't find FEBE or any 'backup' extensions necessary since you can just open up and backup the entire profile folder

C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla

4. Scoobs

Scoobs Registered Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Reimer - does this contain everything? Bookmarks, Extensions, extension settings? Very handy info if it does!

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Yes thats all in there.

As for your original post, Ive used Foxmarks and I didnt find anything wrong with it. Then again, Im not paranoid :p

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I use FEBE, never noticed outgoing connections. I in the middle of a fresh XP install but will check this out.

While it is true you can backup your entire profile folder and do esentually the same thing, I like the reminder and schedule features. I also like that I can be selective on what is backed up.

Even though I do file and image backups regularly I find that FEBE is a nice addition to have.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

FEBE + CLEO is cool fir backing up extensions and creating a single extension package. I like to backup extensions separately, and the mentioned extension plus the sister one work well.

If you only wish to make a local, internal copy, simply copy the profile folder.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.