Firefox disables all add-ons - Problem & Solution

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, May 4, 2019.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Contemporary issues require contemporary articles. Fresh outta the oven, here's a short article discussing the ongoing problem with Firefox add-ons signing problem that disables all add-ons in the browser, solution and workaround to the issue, the importance of backups, and a bit more. Take a look.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-addons-disabled-bug.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Mods: I haven't see this posted elsewhere, please move to the right thread if needed.

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Sadly after using the about:config fix i still have my extensions disabled and no backup. :(

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

4. trott3r

hmm cant seem to find extensions in C:\Users\

5. trott3r

ahh found it now in roaming.

I disabled the extensions but I cannot find a box to re-enable.

finda replacement and remove are the only options

6. Soft Life

Soft Life Registered Member

I read this earlier and thought user error right away. No kidding later today my uBlock and Bitwarden were gone from my Firefox. And when I tried to add it back in said some error. haha

7. Mrkvonic

Trott3r, I had the problem on multiple windows/linux boxes, including both esr and 66. I simply changed the xpinstall setting, restarted the browser, and things were back to normal. If you still don't see the addons, after making the xpinstall change, try installing them again (the settings should be preserved in your profile).
    Mrk

8. trott3r

Tried the xpinstall setting first but no joy.

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i've had it confirmed that it works with installed versions too. you need to do it precisely the way and in the order in my post, and use an admin account for that. remember to make the "extensions.json" file read-only. use windows search to locate the json file. and make sure you replace all of the "-1"s with "2" (no - before 2) and "true"s with "false" in that json file, there are more than one.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have recovered from the FFF (FireFox Fiasco). Good grief -- I wonder if Mozilla plans to give us this kind of fun every week or so? :confused::oops::doubt::cautious::mad:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  11. imdb

imdb Registered Member

12. lofac

lofac Registered Member

For me, just resetting Firefox (Menu > Help > Troubleshooting information) I was able to re-install addons again.

13. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Following the information provided by lofac, I too was able to re-install addons. Haven't turned computer off and restarted it so am assuming they will still be there when I do. Thanks so much lofac for the information.

14. Surt

Surt Registered Member

I've been using Firefox just about everyday since 2002 when it was called Phoenix. (That having evolved from Mosaic and then Netscape beginning early 1990-something using Windows 3 and SLIP dial-up.)

Some one at Mozilla was asleep at the switch (I'd hate to be That Guy/Gal.) and our precious, life sustaining extensions got disabled with the official temporary workaround being a click on a data collection checkbox. Yes, I know that would reveal to all the world what are your favorite knitting stitches forums. No matter. "They" already know. :D

Fully understanding nothing else anywhere anyhow anyway has never ever had any problems whatsoever, egregious blunders by Mozilla have been quite rare let alone fubar.

So, with at least 30,000 hours of flying teh Mozilla browser and with many, many of those hours kicking about:config and hammering Add-ons, rest assured my friend, the answer to your question is...

No. :thumb:

15. XIII

XIII Registered Member

The problem just hit me, but it seems a new 66.0.4 is out:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/66.0.4/

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Where is the exe in that directory?

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thanks Mrk, your fix worked. And here was me praising Mozilla only yesterday. lol

18. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

There is none. First you have to select a subdirectory for the desired version e.g. win64, and then another subdirectory for language.

20. bellgamin

Me, too. Its current name, Firefox, actually should be "Red Panda". And, yes, my various editions of Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox have been 99.9% stable down through all these years. Before that, I was a Netscape groupie & a charter member of the ABIE Club (Anything But Internet Explorer).

21. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

That Guy/Gal more than likely is no longer working at Mozilla. ;)

22. bellgamin

Why not? Someone who has never messed up is far more likely to become complacent. In my shop, if someone messed up, they got a closed-door "you've had it" chewing, then we kept them on. Those who appreciated a 2nd chance became extremely reliable. The repeat offenders were soon seeking jobs at McDonald's.

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Surely something as critically important as security certificates couldn't possibly have just one person overlooking the project, could it?

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i have tried almost everything and this worked for me , maybe could be usefull for you , sadly i can't install other extension but it did activate all my installed extension

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  25. Mrkvonic

If you fire people for making mistakes, you will end up with zero-risk yesmen.
    You should always blame the management, because they bear ultimate responsibility.
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.