Firefox default plugins: Keep or Remove?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Devinco, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I will be using an alternative media player (not Windows Media Player).
    Should I remove any or all of these default plugins?
    Are any required?

Mozilla Default Plugin npnul32.dll
    Windows Media Player Dynamic Link Library npdsplay.dll
    Microsoft DRM npdrmv2.dll DRM Netscape Network Object
    Microsoft DRM npwmsdrm.dll DRM Store Netscape Network Plugin

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I would leave that default plugin where it is, the rest is optional, if you need those you could always re-install them.
    The default plugin facillitates the install of other plugins, amongst other things.
    For extensive information see the knowledge-base at

http://www.mozillazine.org

Lamehand

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id keep the default plugin.

does ur alternative media player have a plugin for firefox? if not, id keep those plugins just in case u view any internet audio/video.

4. Devinco

Thank you Lamehand.
    I'll keep the default plugin and I'll make a backup of the plugins folder just in case the others are needed.

Unfortunately I couldn't find info on this topic where I searched. Before posting, I searched through firefox help, mozilla.com help and KB, and mozillazine KB and the forum. The closest thing I could find was the article to help speed up the acrobat plugin loading.

5. Devinco

Thank you WSFuser.
    I'll be trying several, so I don't know yet if they have a plugin.
    I'll try them out and post the results.

6. Devinco

How to remove default Firefox 2 plugins that don't get removed easily.

Disclaimer:
    You don't need to do this and if you mess something up it's your fault. :D

I don't use Windows Media Player and wanted to find a way to stop Firefox from loading these unnecessary extra plugins into memory.
    I've found a way.

Let's say you don't want a lot of plugins loaded into Firefox for reasons including memory use, alternative media players, or security. Here's how to remove them.
    If you have problems with some plugins that you need or something else plugin related does not work right, just reverse the steps.
    Make a backup copy of these first (your paths may be different):
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js

A clean install of Firefox 2 includes some plugins.
    Typing about:plugins in the URL will show you what plugins are currently installed in Firefox.
    It shows the DLL names of these plugins as well.
    Some of these plugin DLLs are stored in the plugins folder, usually: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins.
    If you delete any of these, be sure to exit the browser first.

npnul32.dll
    This is the Mozilla Default Plug-in and it is the plugin finder that gets initiated, when you try to load a page that requires a plug-in, which is not found. According to this: The Mozilla Default Plug-in, it can be removed and still have a similar basic function.
    I don't see a problem keeping it, but it seems to be optional.

npqtplugin.dll
    npqtplugin2.dll
    npqtplugin3.dll
    npqtplugin4.dll
    npqtplugin5.dll
    QuickTimePlugin.class
    nsIQTScriptablePlugin.xpt
    All these make the QuickTime Plug-in 7.0.4.
    Apple and Mozilla must have made a deal to include this in the default browser package.
    There is nothing wrong with QuickTime, but if you don't need it or you want to use an alternative, delete them.
    You may have additional plugins in this folder if you installed Firefox 2 on top of an old version.

But where are the other plugins that where shown in about:plugins and are not in the plugins folder?
    Plugins like:
    npdsplay.dll Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
    npdrmv2.dll Microsoft® DRM Netscape Network Object
    npwmsdrm.dll Microsoft® DRM Store Netscape Plugin
    You may have other plugins shown like RealPlayer and more.

These DLLs are not in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins folder.

Firefox has a list of plugins which it scans your computer to load into memory.
    If you want to see the full path location where these plugins are stored, type about:config in the URL.
    Now look for plugin.expose_full_path and double click it to set it to true.
    Type in about:plugins in the URL and you can now see that the full path to the above DLLs is not the plugins folder.
    But you don't need to delete the DLLs listed above in order to stop them from loading with Firefox.

Exit Firefox and edit C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\greprefs\all.js with a text editor that supports Unix line endings, such as Wordpad or NoteTab. Do not use Notepad to edit configuration files.

Scroll down near the bottom and you will find a section similar to this:

source with additional notes below.
    So just add a // before pref on the plugin that you don't want Firefox to scan for and it will be removed from the about:plugins list.

Save the all.js file when done, run FireFox, about:plugins, and the plugins are gone.
    If you later decide you need the plugin, just remove the comment // from the appropriate line and add the DLLs back to the plugins folder if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.