[Firefox] Careful with TweakTube - YouTube Enhancer/Video Downloader

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was looking for an extension to dim Youtube lights, so that only the video gets focus, and so I started looking at Mozilla official website. The one I first downloaded was TweakTube - YouTube Enhancer / Video Downloader.

Link: -https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweaktube-youtube-enhancer-vid/

So, I installed, and as soon as I opened by Firefox Youtube profile, which can only connect to Youtube domains, and no other, I could see connections being blocked that would go to tracking services... There were also other connections which I do not recall.

Example:

lu. thetrafficstat.net (Evidence can be found in the file similarweblight.js, which can be found in the folder \chrome\content\user_scripts\.)

Just thought of sharing with you folks. It was freakish to see the amount of connections it tried to make, which were blocked by BlockSite Plus.

The Privacy Policy isn't very helpful either. o_O -https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweaktube-youtube-enhancer-vid/privacy/

I'm now using a Userscript with Greasemonkey, which works great.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Yep :)
    Thanks for sharing ;)

BTW, I prefer home-grown CSS to control appearances in YouTube over extensions. Plus, the fact that Google keeps tweaking YouTube ensures that I often have to tweak back and keep educating myself :D Still, it's better than relying on someone's extension. That requires peering into the .xpi and searching for what-nots just to be safe only till the extension is updated again.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I believe you're being a bit sarcastic, because I didn't share the Userscript I'm using. :D I could have mentioned it, but forgot it, so the name is Youtube "Lights Out". :)

For anyone not knowing, you first need to install the extension Greasemonkey, and then download and install that userscript from the Userscript official website.

Sadly, I never delved into CSS. :oops:

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hence the wink ;)

Well, if your planning to stay with Firefox, there are some great tools for tweaking CSS and a "formal" education isn't necessary.

And, so far, these tools are being actively developed by people who are closely involved with Firefox development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.