Firefox Browser Not Updating Automatically

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

i already went to the settings to check and it's already set as automatic..it used to update automatically but now the newest version isn't giving me a notice or not updating automatically to the newest version. Have this happened to anybody before? If so, when this happened did you go to help and check for updates or did u uninstall it and install it again? i dont know about installing again because i have FF add-ons installed to the extension as well like ad-block plus.

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I'd uninstall and install again. Then reinstall the add-ons again. Won't take long, five minutes.

Anything you needing in the latest version? Usually when a new version comes out, some add-ons aren't compatible, so keeping the same firefox version for awhile (and updating every few months or so) isn't a problem.

3. arran

arran Registered Member

But why would you want it to automatically download updates? why is it so important to get the latest updates as soon as they come out?

I personally don't like apps always calling home and making out going connections, I block them and up date them manually when I feel it is appropriate.

4. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Why Silent Updates Boost Security

5. arran

arran Registered Member

For automatic updates it really depends on what type of app it is.

Some programs are always calling home and you don't know what data they are sending and receiving.

Some programs can be quite annoying, they download updates when you are busy gaming, using up all the bandwidth causing high Pings when gaming.

And depending on your security setup browser updates are not really important, especially if you run your browser in a sandbox.

6. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

In your situation manual updating sounds like it would make a lot of sense.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have my FF set to auto update, but it has never notified me when a FF update is available. However, it always notifies me when an extension has an update. Go figure. As a matter of fact, I get notified of most of my various app updates while surfing Wilders even before the apps send out the releases. :)

8. progress

progress Guest

Permissions

Firefox may disable software updates if the user you're running Firefox as doesn't have permission to change the Firefox installation directory. To get Firefox updated, log in to your computer as a user with sufficient permissions, for example an administrative account. Check for Updates... should then be enabled. To make Check for Updates... enabled permanently, change the permissions on the Firefox installation directory.

There are no problems with power user account :)

9. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

It's not soon as they come out because it's currently 3.0.8 on this computer and on the other one it's 3.0.9 but when i went to help it does say check for updates and it also says apply downloaded updates now. But now it doesn't say apply downloaded updates now after I signed into AIM messenger and got a pop-up browser. It said "downloading updates and firefox will restart soon" or something like that but after a browser pop up popped up on the screen(it does this everytime i log into AIM messenger and takes me to aim.com site), it doesn't say that anymore. Would it still be ok if a browser poped up on my screen after I log into a messenger in the middle of downloading? It did say that it got installed when I opened a new FF browser though.

And for the other computer that's 3.0.8 it just didn't give me any update notification at all. I'm thinking of updating it manually or install the new version over the old one. But if I do that, do you think it wouldn't mess anything like slow my browser down or won't going to affect anything?

Last edited: May 6, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.