Firefox addons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, you have to admit, it's a freaking joke that you will have to do all of this for a feature that should be standard.

Thanks, but I'm done with Firefox. I use Vivaldi all of the time, and Edge and Waterfox purely for testing stuff.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Alight. Personally, I don't trust the chromium engine. But to each his own.

Just to show you what it can look like, and the power off CSS, I've attached a screenshot of my set up.

ScreenShot_20210815121835.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  3. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

4. n8chavez

Perhaps. You are subtracting anything Google from the engine, but you are also losing a lot of the features and configurability that (Gecko?) the firefox engine has. Yes, Chromium has flags. But it's nothing compared to the about:config options and security that you can get with them.

If I had to, I'd go Vivaldi. Their features, not to mention m3, are amazing. But the engine itself is not nearly as secure or configurable. I like being able to set DoH and sock5 at the same time, which cannot be done with anything Chromium.

5. nicolaasjan

I know, but it's more like a backup browser for the few sites that don't work (well) with Firefox.

Regarding your signature; I see you're using Privacy Badger together with uBO in LibreWolf.
    On the uBO Reddit sub I've read posts that claim it's not necessary and may even conflict.

https://old.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/search?q=Privacy Badger&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

chromium is the blue print for all other derivates. chrome contain closed source so edge has. the ungoogled build is left alone behind, it need an additional extension to install from store - or offline, but only few are able to grab them and install and to maintain at least, there exist no update routine for extensions without google connection. and sync is also not possible. in fact the ungoogled build is lesser portable than the regular chromium. at least - vivaldi is a chromium build, it has its own store but is able to use also from chrome store. and it has contact to the vivaldi server instead google. feel fooled?

concerning ublock - uBo is able to replace over a dozen other blocking extensions. privay badger from the eff - eff just boil the same water with a different code. uBo just need another list. from nothing to basic to paranoid filtering, AIO with uBo :D

7. n8chavez

Thanks for this. I didn't know Privacy Badger changed their policies to remove their "learning" features. That's the only reason I use it. Without that there's no reason for it. Removed.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

The learning feature is still available but disabled by default.

9. n8chavez

Right. But it was disabled by default for a valid security reason.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Understood.

11. nicolaasjan

:thumb:

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

What is your opinion about PRIVACY with all the PERMISSIONS you gave to those extensions?

14. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

The security vulnerability was patched, but learning mode is disabled by default due to fingerprinting concerns. Learning mode may make you more identifiable if websites bother to take advantage.
    None the less, µBO used in any mode, especially medium or hard mode, makes Privacy Badger superfluous. It is simply one "no tech knowledge required" option for some folks.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  15. Brummelchen

Do you refer to something special?

i assume that your alu-helmet questions is going nowhere without any evidence. permissions are clear and defined:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/permissions

in case of changed permissions user is asked:
    https://extensionworkshop.com/documentation/develop/test-permission-requests/
    there exist NO opt out, accept or deny. deny means to stay on the older version.

so permissions are no hidden secret, user is asked on each new extension installation or on updates if that will happen.

16. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

True. Nevertheless many add-ons request rather broad permissions (e.g. "Access your data for all websites"), and it's often hard to properly assess the risk involved.

There are only 2 ways to minimize that risk, IMO:

1. Stick to recommended extensions whenever possible. They undergo a full code review by Mozilla staff and are subject to ongoing re-evaluation.
    2. Use the Extension source viewer add-on (which is ironically not a recommended extension but written by Rob Wu who is a Mozilla employee and Firefox developer) to check the source code of add-ons before installing them - which admittedly is not always very easy.

Option no. 1 above is certainly the easiest way to stay safe.

17. zmechys

LOL!
    It's not about PERMISSIONS that are clearly presented to you when you install a/any extension.
    It's about semi-advertising your Internet browsing to more and more various companies/developers/instances.
    But...
    It's a difference in opinions about PRIVACY.

18. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I just reviewed all of my installed extensions permissions. They all give the permissions needed for the add-on to do it's job. I see no issues. Privacy wise, nothing is private on the internet, yet I'm still using it. I am comfortable with the way I use my browser.

My list as changed since my last post.I added 4 and removed 1.

19. zmechys

That's what I wanted to prove.

Nothing is private on the internet!
    The difference is only about
    1.) do you want to see me in "Kardashian" outfit,
    or
    2.) do you want to see how I dress to go to work.

20. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Nope. Or anywhere for that matter. For anyone that carries a smartphone and thinks they have any level of privacy tweaking their browser or extensions...
    When more than once I can be elsewhere and talk about a thing and when I get home the next time I pull up YouTube there is a video about said thing...

21. zmechys

It's about HOW MUCH you want for the rest of the world to know about you.

22. Brummelchen

your last question let us assume another context, please more exact next time ;)
    your conclusion about other permissions of extensions are no matter of extensions, its a matter of user behavior.

extensions at least need some trust. no trust -> uninstall, short and precisely. mozilla offers some methods to keep extensions clear, works not perfect, but anyone can report malicious extensions.

concerning privacy for extensions which is not quite visible have a closer look to any FVD extension, example: speed dial. SD do a request on their server anytime you create a dial if some fitting image is available. so they track your given address to improve service on their side.

for the privacy you want to track whatever you can only investigate in your own client. not my business.

23. xxJackxx

What is your definition of rest of the world? Tech companies and governments? Or the general population? If the former they'll get your info anyway. :eek: If the latter, don't tell them. :blink:

24. zmechys

LOL!
    If my Government is interested in What I'm Doing, then, ...:'(

Tech companies - it's in the animated movies.
    In real life, there is John-on-the-spot working for this/that company that could make some jokes about me.

Even in this forum, we have members who find those "VICIOUS SPYING TRACKERS" in almost any VPN app,
    or other members who are trying to create very elaborate computer/network sets in order to by-pass ...WHAT(?).
    I'm that guy in the middle of our forum Privacy/Safety scale.

25. xxJackxx

That's probably a good place to be. :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.