Firefox addons

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

There is no word about some fee, so your conclusion might be wrong. and currently that promotion is already active, people frequently using AMO are aware of this "new" design in the upper part.

Developing for chrome costs 5 bucks to post extensions.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I was unaware of this but verified that you are correct. I am not surprised though.

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

4. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Does anyone have any thoughts on, or experience with Addons such as this: External Application Button?

I'm looking for a way to switch to another browser when a web page doesn't render properly.

5. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

It doesn't happen very often here that pages don't render properly. If it does happen, I simply copy the URL and open it in another browser. If it happened quite frequently that pages don't render properly, I would check my browser settings first.

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I use uBlock origin and other addons with Firefox and sometimes things get blocked (not here) that I might need displayed to continue, so I use a 2nd browser such as Chrome to do a quick check to see what might be wrong. Copy and paste is a solution, but a bit awkward. Also, some websites don't always do a good job of supporting Firefox, so I like to have a 2nd opinion.:)

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Yep, it might be a bit awkward but even though you use ubo and other addons, it shouldn't happen too often that pages are rendered improperly. If an addon is the reason why pages are not rendered properly, I would simply remove it or at least I would try to use less aggressive settings.

PS: Are you using NoScript by any chance?

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

No, I don't use Noscript and I don't have any problems with my addons. Even though pages may not be shown correctly very often as you indicate, I find a 2nd opinion much quicker in deciding whether I need to further investigate my settings/addons. That is why I'm asking about a one-button solution instead of going through multiple steps doing it manually. I know it's no big deal, but just wondering if anyone else here is using an addon that allows opening another browser for a 2nd view. Whether pages should render properly, how often not, or whether my setup is correct is not the point here.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  9. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OK, how about this FF addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/open-in-microsoft-edge-browser/

I have not tested this addon, so I don't know if it is good or not.

10. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I don't have a problem searching.:D The addon I mentioned in my OP is also from the developer Andy Portmen and basically allows the same thing with other browsers. I was just looking for some feedback before I go and try one out. The subject webextension addons mentioned by me and you require manually installing a minimal NodeJs native client in order for the addons to function properly.

11. Brummelchen

In such cases you should speak up here and describe the problem properly. My browsers has the same config, so they behave the same, if one fail the other will do too. But in fact ublock has an On/Off button (the blue big thing when you click the symbol). You will tell us that off won't resolve issues for you? I have doubt, for ublock. Otherwise, it's not ublock than any other installed extension.

12. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I asked a simple question about an addon and not about a problem I'm not having. When things are blocked, I can usually help myself. I used uBlock as an example as to why I might want to use another browser. You have your methods, I have mine. I guess I could ask why use 2 browsers that behave the same. I'm well aware of the big blue button. Doubt all you want, but I've never had it solve overlapping fonts on a web page by turning it off.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  13. Brummelchen

To cite you again - so why do you mention it if it is no issue for you? Wouldn't it be better to find out why? I know why some sites now got stuck, show a blank page, or grey, no scroll-bar. And it's a matter of cookie consent which are resolved in most cases with a click on the "eye" (cosmetic filters = DOM"). Same for pages which seem stuck without cookie consent, then click the "eye".

I don't need to switch browsers, although some sites nowadays behave different due cookie consent. Thats why i am asking/demading you to tell about those cases. The more you can give the more we all have benefit of it.

14. Adric

Adric Registered Member

As I said previously, I used it as an example (Beispiel) as to why I might want to launch a 2nd browser. I don't currently have any issues with uBlock, but I'll let you know when I do.:D
    Thanks for sharing
    asking/demanding? (eine etwas übertriebe Reaktion oder?) :thumbd:

There's not much more I can say that will benefit everyone, other than maybe stopping the discussion here. If you have something to say about the addon I asked about, please do so, otherwise let's move on.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  15. Adric

Adric Registered Member

In case anyone is interested, I went ahead and installed the Open-in addon to use Chtome and it is working as advertised in Firefox 78.3.1 ESR. I was hesitant at first because the webextension requires a NodeJS native client to function properly, but that ended up being a no-brainer and everything is pretty much transparent as far as I can tell. The install/uninstall of the client and addon is painless and you can specify the path of your alternate Browser in the options if need be. I ended up testing with Chrome version (86.0.4240.75) from PortableApps.com without any problems whatsoever. So, for whatever reason you might have for wanting to launch an alternate browser from Firefox, this addon might be for you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. guest

guest Guest

"Legacy version" also available:

Chameleon for older versions of Firefox (pre-v75)

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

20. guest

guest Guest

Mozilla ends the Promoted Firefox Add-ons Program
    January 23, 2021
    https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/23/mozilla-ends-promoted-firefox-add-ons-program/

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

22. Brummelchen

"HTTPS everywhere" will die in the near future from my POV. Firefox offers http only mode (see regular settings) and in case of an unsecure connection it asks for allow or quit page.

I have it installed in chromium because this one don't have such switch.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

Anyone knows any sites where it will load the http version despite there being an https one? If no, then https everywhere is kinda useless

25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

fox already has buit-in https-only mode as i'm sure you're aware. :cautious:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.