Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, May 5, 2012.
Very happy, missed this from Chrome!
It's also available in Firefox 12 now, through about:config. plugins.click_to_play
I use this in Dolphin Browser by default on android.
For me, pros:
- Websites load quicker than before
- blocks a fair amount of advertising
- safer for those sites you open in a new tab, want to read only the text, but all sorts of advertising and possible malicious links/images would have otherwise loaded in the background tab.
- can be slower when opening multiple video links (eg. youtube), and instead of buffering ahead of time, each tab has to be clicked-on
- can block a page element which you can't quite get to work unless it is turned off (rare, but happens eg. ads in front of page elements you want - just don't appear with the plugin set to on-demand - I sometimes have to switch it off altogether)
Definitely needs a button/icon to turn the functionality on/off.
I have beta (13) installed and that doesn't work for me. It does, however, work quite well on the Nightly (also works on the version of Chrome I have (Dev 20)).