Firefox 8 crashing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It seems like whenever I click the submit post button at any forum Firefox just closes (maybe someone is trying to silence me). :D It also does so at other times that seem to be random. It did not just start with v8 but seems to be worse. It does it on every machine I use (my desktop, laptop, and my machine at work). It seems to be independent of any particular AV product as it still happens with none installed. It didn't happen on my laptop until I updated the video drivers. All machines involved have ATi cards in them. I guess I could see about trying to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox to see if that helps. Anybody else getting this? I can tolerate using IE9 but it is not my preference.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Try it with all of your extensions disabled.

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It sounds to me like an acceleration issue, did you try to force hardware acceleration in FF? I would think the issues would be settled this far into supporting the feature, but there may still be some graphics cards out there that Firefox blacklists.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is an odd one. I can only think that there is an extension common to all of them that is causing the problem. It usually is.

5. xxJackxx

Nope, not forced but I think I will try to force it off. I assume it is in the config file somewhere. I'll google that info and try it. I've removed all of the extensions before and still had the problem.

-Edit
    I see it's actually in the options now. No need to dig through the config.

-Edit 2
    Scrolling sure is a lot more jerky with it off. I should probably mention I am dealing with dual GPUs as well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Did you turn "smooth scrolling" on? That should help with the jerk scrolling.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Hearing this, I now are hesitant on downloading and installing Firefox 8. :doubt:

Still using Firefox 7. :D

Are you guys experiencing some more problems with Firefox 8....aside from crashing? :cautious:

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

..It's one person, lol. I've not experienced a single hiccup from 8, and I don't expect to as it's not very different from 7 at all. Besides, the OP stated that this issue didn't start with 8...don't panic over problem reports, his computer isn't yours ;)

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Seems strange Jack. No issues here and I've run it on three different machines so far.

Sounds like hardware acceleration but you've already disabled that.

10. xxJackxx

Don't let me stop you. I'm sure it's some isolated thing I will eventually figure out.

11. xxJackxx

After googling I have found a lot of people complaining that Firefox crashes when they click a javascript link or button. That sounds like pretty close to what is happening to me. I get it a lot when clicking on buttons to submit replies on forums like this one. But not always. And the post gets though before it crashes. But it looks like it is the correct direction for me to be searching. Does anyone know if Firefox uses javascript.dll?

-I guess I could have answered my own question with Process Explorer. No, it does not seem to use javascript.dll. I assume they use their own engine to process javascript. Any way to troubleshoot it?

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What search terms did you use? Alternatively, could you copy/pasta some of the links to these complaints?

13. xxJackxx

I searched for "Firefox crashes when clicking links" because I have narrowed it down to the fact that it always happens right after I click a link or button.

A good example of where it happens is on this very site when I click the "Submit Reply" button when posting here. or any other vBulletin based forum for that matter.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks! I searched using that phrase and briefly looked through the results but didn't see much that gives the impression that it's related or unique to this latest release.

15. xxJackxx

No, as I stated in the first post it did not start with this build, it just seems worse. It has been happening since v4 for me.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Ouch! Have you been retaining your profile all this time and keeping it on the various machines? I have never seen this problem on my PCs or on a couple I've installed Fx on.

Maybe it's some tweaks you do to all of them? I think it's an angle worth looking at because from what I can see over at various forums and Google groups, it's not really that common.

17. xxJackxx

Nope, separate profile on each machine and I have even deleted them and reinstalled a time or 2. Which I am about to try again. The only tweak I do at this point is to disable the virus scan on downloads because it is redundant. It doesn't do it with the same frequency on all machines. My desktop does it a lot. I am using the laptop at the moment and it has not crashed yet today. But it did yesterday. It's very annoying. And the only browser that does it. But it's the one I want to use. :(

18. guest

guest Guest

Did you try everything stated here (http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic Troubleshooting) ?

Especially:
    Did you try completely uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox ?
    Did you try completely uninstalling/reinstalling all plugins as well (including but not limited to Java/Flash/antivirus components/etc) ?

If YES, I would like you to record the buggy behavior with CamStudio (freeware) or similar, because it's really very weird.

19. xxJackxx

Reinstalled on the laptop. Seems fixed. Most problematic on the desktop. Removed. Deleted profile/all addons. Deleted any leftovers in the filesystem. Reinstalled. Still crashing. Too random to capture. Just about ready to dump it for IE9. :doubt:

20. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Running sandboxed here. No problem so far.

21. guest

guest Guest

It this behavior was happening on my PC, I would investigate it a little more. Might be some third-party software conflict with Firefox. I see names in your signature like KIS, Sandboxie and so on. I would make some selective tests without them, with different configurations, etc.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

In addition to guest's excellent advice, you could also post your problem here:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php
    and
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/topics?hl=en&gvc=2

Although you can post in the support section of the first link without signing up, I'd say it's not a bad idea to get an account there especially if your problem takes several posts to resolve.
    The second would require a Google Account. The groups moderator, Chris Ilias, is a really patient guy (and knowledgeable).

Both places have some "wise guys" but you can ignore them :D

As usual, the more information you provide the better the chance of a solution.

All the best!

23. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

No problems with 8 (so far), though I was starting to get quite a few crashes with 7, which I let their auto-reporting thing pass along. I have to assume Mozilla tracked the problem down and fixed whatever it was in 8, although this was happening when 8 was getting very close to final release.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't know whether this means anything but from what I can gather Fx 8.0.1 should be released at about the same time as SeaMonkey 2.5 final.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Good catch. One is marked "critical" and has the top guns frantic since it's hard to analyze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.