Firefox 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Searching_ _ _, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

Feels more responsive.

But even if it didn't... Firefox forever, no other browser comes close.

Those who transited to Chrome are renegades.
    Those who did it to Opera are flashy.

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Haha...looks like u r very devoted to ff :eek: :thumb:

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Renegades huh? Maybe I should switch to Chrome then, after all, the good die young :D In all seriousness, it's a browser. They all get you where you want to go.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't get brand loyalty. I'd drop Chrome in a heartbeat if I felt that Firefox was the best browser. To say that I'd never switch products when both are free seems silly.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Yeah I hear you. I was loyal to Firefox for a long time. I still use it as my main browser use Chrome here and there. Though I still prefer Firefox.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah... I am with Firefox now, but I have also used Chrome for years too. Even IE at times. The only one I just never liked much was Opera. But as dw426 says, they all get you where you wanna go....

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Same here. I know Chrome has the superior security, and that not having to update Flash all the time or use a PDF program is oh so sweet. But, I'm an extensions guy, and right now, Mozilla has Chrome beat. When 15 goes stable, and if web api allows Ghostery and ABP to work just as flawlessly in Chrome, I'm almost 99% sure I'll switch over. I know the Beta is there, but Chrome betas and me have never gotten along.

Anyway, I'm a very happy Firefox user, no matter its weaknesses.

8. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have tried opera many times but dont like so many features i just come back to firefox
    And i dont care about how much memory ff uses coz chrome anyway uses more...the thing i disliked about ff in 4 ,5 and 6 were browser didnt feel so 'fluid' and 'responsive' but now it does and as said above in terms of extension ff beats chrome

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I like this one.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No, I haven't ever tried that one. I prefer the Chrome method of sandboxing it though, if I'm going to view it online. I rarely view PDF files anyway, so it's not that big of a hassle :)

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey that's a pretty nice extension, thanks Dave :thumb: I just have to remember to white list the websites that use Flash in their design and not just use Flash for videos, lol.

13. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Does anyone know if Roboform will work with this release? I really can't do without my Roboform...lol.

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Considering it hasn't updated since June, I'm doubting it. However, there's a real easy way to find out, lol. The reviews there stop mid-August, so that won't be much help. It seems to have even had trouble working on v5.

15. Hungry Man

You'll be happy to know about the huge progress being made. Currently Chrome 14 can adblock with a new proof of concept extension.

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm really glad to hear that, thanks for keeping me informed. I'm sure they'll get around to having a stable ABP release around the time v15 is almost final.

17. Hungry Man

I think the full stable API is scheduled for 16 at the moment but we may see it enabled by default in 15. Too soon to tell I think.

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh that's right, how soon I forget my own past posts, lol. I remember it being pushed back to 16. Still, if it's currently good enough to, as you say, enable it ahead of time, that would be fantastic. Now, since ad-blocking is nearly out of the way, it's time to concentrate on making themes work elsewhere besides the recent thumbnails page. Unless I'm out of the loop on that too :D

19. Hungry Man

Not sure what you mean =p

But as adblock is out of the way for me Chrome has reached the level of functionality that I had when I used Firefox. Not missing a single thing that I used to use.

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, what I mean is that most themes I installed, only showed up on the recently viewed page (I don't remember the official name for it, but you get it, lol. I'd like Chrome to extend the theme to the entire browser, like Firefox does. I know that's rather picky of me, lol, it's just one guy's "thing" :D I'm still confused by one thing though, Hungry. Does this API effect blocking things like trackers too? Basically, does it help extensions like Ghostery and others do their job?

21. Hungry Man

Hm. Still confused honestly! haha My theme is on every page unless I'm confused.

Yes. Actually it's possible that if you have ABP enabled with the new API you won't need ghostery. I'm not sure though. It'll definitely allow for HTTPS-Everywhere though.

22. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hehe, let me give an example: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ponnpgmlmpfgloapnmdbbeimjeaedobg?hl=en. Now, this theme shows up on that recents page, as you would expect. However, on all other pages, above the address bar it should look like it does in the picture. But, it does not. I only see the standard look of Chrome.

Now, regarding Ghostery, it seems to be needed even with ABP in Firefox. Ghostery still is blocking a lot of trackers, even though the tracker lists in ABP should be blocking them first. If I understand ABP filters, if they are doing their job, there should be nothing left for Ghostery to block.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It would be helpful to Mozilla if people signed up but I guess "privacy" considerations will prevent most from doing so. Plus, it's easier to just whine non-specifically rather than contribute a bug.

25. Hungry Man

Sounds like an issue with your installation OR that theme. My theme applies to all pages I'm on.

Adblock plus might work slightly differently. For example you wouldn't want to block facebook.com because you couldn't access facebook without whitelisting the entire page.

You would want to block facebook.com on every other page though (or whatever their ad-tracking thing is.)

Perhaps that's the difference?

Either way I've heard that webrequest will allow for ghostery and https-everywhere as well as noscript and adblock plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.