Firefox 5 in June

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

On that note, what on earth is wrong with having a Home button? It seems like it's considered a red-headed stepchild, everybody is trying to lose it. As far as the social crap, I'm afraid that's a battle we're losing. Enough people want the stuff that browsers, websites and increasingly more types of programs are plastering it all over.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

according to the article there still is gunna be a home button, its just gunna be in the tab bar

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Someone at userstyles.org will figure out a way to "unpermanent" it using css.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There's a comment from Kevin Dangoor who says he's from Mozilla indicating that few of the features listed will actually make it to Fx5:
    Source:
    http://www.conceivablytech.com/6581...sharing-home-tab-pdf-viewer-tab-apps#comments

I know that folks from Mozilla monitor the quoted site and comment on pieces or attempt to correct misinformation.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Hopefully Mozilla is going to accelerate the review queue speed at AMO as well. If they really manage to churn out a new Firefox version at every two weeks, then 1 month and counting to extensions is going to be completely ridiculous; they're going to be breaking left and right.

Attached Files:

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm slightly pessimistic about their release schedule, but we'll see what happens. I agree that AMO is going to need have the whip cracked on it though. I'm actually more curious as to how the add-on devs will handle the short release times themselves. We could see some add-ons go the way of the Dodo bird, if major tweaks need to be made to become compatible, or the devs just don't want or have the time to keep up. Which could be what happened to the "NotScript" dev over at Chrome.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Some of my extensions are still not compatible. It would be fun to go to version 5 and have even fewer of them compatible. It would break the foundation of what Firefox is.
    Mrk

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.h-online.com/security/ne...on-slow-starting-Firefox-add-ons-1220906.html

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So you would want one less choice in browsers? It sounds that way, when reading your post (I'm not attacking, just wondering about your feelings).

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have some of the slower ones, lol, ABP and NS. Those and BetterPrivacy are all I ever run anyway.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ironic that FastestFox is the 8th worst offender. o_O

Acadia

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Not at all. It's just producng versions to compete with the rival is silly. It's like saying who makes more babies. Who cares? It's all about QUALITY. Firefox is popular because of its extensions. If you can't have those, it loses its major advantage. The quick cycle so you can "show" how you progress is nothing but yet another hype.
    Mrk

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now I see what you mean. Well, sadly we live in "If Chrome does it this way, so will we" times. It's not really a knock on Chrome, but if I want "Chrome-like", I'll use the original. If any of them adopts something from one another, it honestly should be NoScript functionality. That alone would benefit users far more than new ways to present tabs, social functions (this one ~ Snipped as per TOS ~), even hardware acceleration. I'm still not certain whether Mozilla can shorten their cycle so much, they're getting good at delays. Again though, we'll just have to see.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I must admit that I've wondered about this. Does Chrome even need a NoScript functionality with its sandboxing? I honestly don't know.

Acadia

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Now I'm saying this as a person who does no thorough testing and goes by what is read, but the answer still seems to be yes. Chrome still seems to be fairly vulnerable in this area, though one could argue that the sandbox does lower the danger/damage. How much, I simply don't know. I have two reasons for wanting NoScript functionality in all browsers. One, for the obvious security reasons. Two, though others are able to whitelist scripts (Chrome seems to fail here, as it still seems to be an all or nothing deal. You can whitelist websites, but all scripts on those sites are allowed, 3rd party and all.), it's a major pain to do so. Simply turning scripting on and off cannot keep you safe, imo. If you need to whitelist scripts, it's far easier to right-click NoScript and choose which scripts you need, while keeping all others from running. It won't be that way in other browsers, I'm sure. But, if there is at least a list of scripts somewhere in the browser settings when scripting is turned off, it can help with whitelisting not being such a PITA, and, most important, it would give all browsers a boost in security.

20. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's only 1%, you actually made me look at that list thinking "wtf" how could it possibly cause a slowdown, then realized it was right at the bottom. :D

I highly doubt it's needed. I don't even use it in Fx, though, never been much of a fan of it.

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I'll edit my post. It doesn't even look right to my own eyes now.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Apparently, you have not read the rationale behind the decision to have a shorter release cycle. Please do.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Check the versions page for that add-on, it's possible that the developer has updated it but it's still stuck in the review queue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.