FireFox 4 Is Ready and available for Download!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Warlockz, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culla

culla Registered Member

2. culla

culla Registered Member

thanks got it how i like it had to get new theme as in the dark hasn't been updated yet :D

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

For one, places.sqlite is now a minimum of 10 MB.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Cula & The Champ,
    Thanks for the help.
    I had to remove FF4 for now.
    Too many problems, such as click on the Roboform icon and get taken to the Roboform website. RF is already installed.
    And one of the tabs locked up and it took the whole browser with it.
    I had to close the browser using Task Manager.
    I'll try it again in a couple of weeks.

edit:
    Have since found out that Roboform v6 will not be supported in FF 4. RF wants you to buy new license for their v7.
    However, RF v6 works in IE 9.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

6. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Is there any way to get a bar at the bottom of the browser (its where my Noscript icon lived) on the last FF?

Thanks in advance

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Sure hit Firefox in the top left of your settings, go over to option, and then click Addon bar and you will have the bar on the bottom of the screen again like previous versions, except this time its much thinner. It took my a while to find it because I keep trying apps and though they were not working till I found how to add that :p

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Yesterday I started to do the update to Firefox 4, but aborted when the Firefox 4 installer said that it would disable the AVG Linkscanner Search Addon because it is incompatible with Firefox 4.

Do I need the AVG Linkscanner Search Addon for AVG Linkscanner to function properly? My AVG Linkscanner is the latest version.

Thanks in Advance.

9. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Thanks Ibrad, much appreciated :)

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

After a bit of changing and updating, only one extension remain incompatible with Firefox 4. Therefore I'm keeping this new version.

11. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

I tried the Firefox 4 portable version from portableapps.com
    It seems like a lot of addons aren't supported.
    For example addons I depend on the most like QuickJava and IEtab just don't seem to work right or at all. Does anyone know if there's an update to quickjava? When I went to the get addons screen there didn't seem to be a whole lot there.

12. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

13. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

Using this helped my Quickjava problem. It works flawlessly. I'm sure the developers will just update the version string in the installer file to make it compatible. Thank you for the article.

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Are you using XP? I used Portable Apps Fx 4 on an XP computer today for the first time (at work) after setting up the portable on Win 7 (bookmarks etc). When I first ran it on XP I had to hide the menu bar again & ABP & a couple other extensions weren't working. After updating the extensions they worked fine. I don't know if this is relevant to your situation.

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

It is nice to know that AVG is working on the issue. I hope that they release the "fix" soon.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=153935#post_153935

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

One thing that I have noticed is that either by using Ctrl J or a GUI button the 'Downloads' window opens with a black screen (only when empty) & the 'Search' bar is missing (when window shows no downloads) in Windows 7 64 bit. On Vista 32 bit it is fine. Oddly, if I double click on the GUI button (Customised) it opens normally. o_O

Anyone else had anything similar?

(I'm using Win 7 64 bit Home Premium AMD Athlon II X4 645 processor).

18. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Though I have an older graphics card, I am still surprised that the FishIE test does not appear to be improved, despite enabling hardware acceleration. Maybe my card doesn't support acceleration? I know it doesn't support it in IE9.

Bummer! I just checked and my card isn't supported.

Time for a trip to Newegg...

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

from what i gathered not all chipset are supported.
    not a big deal yet, imo.
    i dont think there are many websites that rely on this technology so far.

20. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Roboform v6 is not compatible with FF 4.
    RF wants us to buy their v7, which does work with FF 4.
    IE 9 and RF do get along just fine.

21. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Yeah, and don't forget to order a pair of glasses while your there :)
    Hardware Acceleration serves no purpose, you don't "feel" a speed improvement, but you do "see" the horribly rendered fonts and tons of other glitches.

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Gleamed this advice from a couple of helpful sites, hope these hints might help:

Here's a fix for the blurry font without losing GPU acceleration:
    set gfx.direct2d.disabled to True.
    And make sure that gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled is set to False (should be by default)
    You get to the Firefox config menu by typing "about:config" into the address window.

To check the status of hardware acceleration in Firefox at any time, type 'About:Support' (without quotes) into the Address Bar and press Enter. At the bottom under the Graphics section, check the 'Direct2D Enabled' and 'DirectWrite Enabled' fields - these will say True if enabled, False if not. The 'GPU Accelerated Windows' field will show '1/1 Direct3D 10' or '1/1 Direct3D 9' depending on the level of Direct3D support enabled, or '0/1' if Direct3D acceleration is disabled. To test and compare your actual hardware acceleration performance after making any changes, first exit and restart Firefox, then run this test to see how many FPS you get with each configuration.

An unfortunate side-effect of enabling hardware acceleration in Firefox is that the text rendering method changes to one which some users will find displeasing. Fonts may appear blurry, overly thin, oddly spaced or inconsistently rendered across various sites. The easiest way to fix this issue is to disable hardware acceleration and restart Firefox - text rendering will now revert back to its original and familiar look. However this loses all the benefits of GPU hardware acceleration. A slightly better method of fixing this issue is to keep this option ticked, but set the gfx.direct2d.disabled preference to True - see the Advanced Tweaking section for details. This disables Direct2D acceleration while keeping Direct3D acceleration enabled. Another alternative is to keep this option ticked, and install the Anti-Aliasing Tuner add-on, which allows customization of font appearance, while keeping the full advantages of hardware acceleration. Open the Options for this add-on (under Firefox>Add-ons>Extensions), and try this suggested configuration: set Anti-Aliasing mode to ClearType and Rendering Mode to 'Natural Symmetric' for both text sizes, then tick all the 'ClearType Level' and 'Enhanced Contrast' boxes and set them to 100%. This will not be ideal, but you can experiment further to see if you can further customize text appearance to suit your taste.

Acadia

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not using Roboform myself I don't know how well this advice works from another website but here it is:

If you use the Mr.Tech Toolkit addon and uncheck "enable addon compatibility check" you may find that RoboForm works fine...
    I use this for all older addons that i still prefer...

Also, you might find this webpage helpful:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1186...-to-make-them-version-compatible-for-firefox/

Acadia

24. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Actually, this will disable some hardware acceleration. Run FishIE Tank before and after doing this and you'll see how much slower it is (but at least the fonts aren't blurry).

25. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Correct, it disables the D2 but not the D3 ... whatever in the heck that means. o_O

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.