FIREFOX 3 Vs. IE7 ; RESULT FIREFOX 0 - IE7 100

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Kas, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Following the exceptional tributes payed to Firefox and all the supposed advantages outlined on this site - I installed Firefox 3.

Absolutely NO problems, it all went in like a dream, not a hiccup in sight.
    GREAT, but playing with this so-called miraculous browser, I find it deficient in many ways compared to IE7. In fact I see no point in using it at all. IE7 is far more versatile and comprehensive than Firefox.

The control I have with IE7 as a user is near perfect, with Firefox I feel I am dealing with a second rate browser minus all the advantages of IE7. The difference between an amateur and a professional.

The Crawler toolbar on Firefox is pathetic and almost useless. It is minute compared with that on IE7 and the SERVICES has only 4 items compared to 13 on IE7. Many of the other useful toolbar items are also missing.

Also on Firefox, the Crawler Web Security Guard keeps giving a RED warning on many sites which are perfectly clean. It is stupid and very annoying, it makes using Firefox a pain. The same protection on IE7 is near perfect and only sends warning panels for really suspicious or dangerous websites.

The Web Security flags on Firefox are not present or if so are not reliable on search lists, whereas on IE7 they are perfect and shown throughout.

Also, I am very doubtful whether my existing Spybot, AVG, Comodo IS, Spywareblaster and Spyware Terminator are even active when using Firefox.

If not, then all kinds of infections and virus`s will simply walk right through my door undetected and I will then have a complete mess of creepy crawlies.

These programs specifically mention IE7 many times in their user control panels - no mention of Firefox.

Firefox - initial impression - LEAVE IT ALONE - FORGET IT, uninstall it and use IE7.

AV and Anti-spyware protective programs as stated above which work 100% with IE7, do not appear to have any relationship with Firefox. Are they simply inert spectators watching every kind of infection walk right in ?
    Virus`s, spyware, malware and just about any infection out there, ENTER - you are welcome.

Unless some expert comes up with answers to these questions and points, I will have the greatest pleasure in uninstalling Firefox, treating it as a bad memory and continue using a reliable system like IE7, which gives me everything I need as a user.
    Kas
    :argh:

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Where to start? Oh yes, nothing you mention is about Firefox..

Aren't you criticizing this "Crawler toolbar", whatever that is?

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

It is spyware terminator toolbar.This is too funny.Lol
    Kas is ok if u like IE ,many use it.

Kas. Active X,the fact that it belongs to the OS are some of the reasons while IE is more vulnerable ,and that's why the security software you use give it more importancewith toolbars(avg,spyware terminator),blacklists(spywareblaster,spybot)
    These things don't exist in Firefox
    Personally besides this Firefox addons and better rendering of web content is the main reason while i like Firefox,OPera in fact all other browser than IE

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What are you smokin' :D

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Kas, if you like IE7 and have no problems using it, keep it.
    I use FF because I got used to it and it suits my needs better then IE.

Usually security software covers both browsers, but advertise only IE because it is still used more then FF ( and to be mean: because it needs more protection :D ).

I suggest you to use browser with wich you feel more comfortable.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Answer to your complaints=Opera Browser

It seems opera's inability to add extensions would be a plus here :). It would avoid the crawler toolbar.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Obviously something fairly potent. ;).

Dude, why don't you give Firefox a reasonable try. There's really no comparison between the two. Firefox is far superior.

I despise IE so much that I use vlite and nlite to totally remove it from my install (along with Outlook Express or Windows Mail).

Later...

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

umm, all those programs u have mentioned work fine with FF. im using comodo IS myself and its fine, spywareblaster DOES give protection to FF, same with spybot. Spyware Terminator works with FF as well.

are u dumb or something? if ur talking abotu toolbars which are 99% of the time useless overlap, but the webguard on AV's work with ANY browser(unless there is a bug ofcourse), it scans ur web traffic not the fckin browser.

seriously, before u post things like this, know what ur talking about. Use IE all u like, no problem, but dont start saying false things about FF.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You're reading a diehard never change IE 6 loyal here but i now give Firefox all due repect because IMO it is finally come of age, and i'm long overdue for a browser that renders pages without crashing or inviting Active X and all other IE exploits in for tea. :cool:

Of course i've always kept Opera at the handy for those times i prefer SPEED and SECURITY.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

From the admittedly minimal research I have dedicated to this frivolous post it appears that the Crawler Toolbar can be added to both IE and to Firefox, although one must question why one would do so to either. I have yet to find any benefit, any many detriments, to installing any Toolbar.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

As always it seems, user preference comes down to what interface they enjoy using over performance or security. The interface makes or breaks the user's desire to continue use. Evident in this topic. Evident in most topics.

I am also in the camp of if you like it, use it. The only thing I would say is, while most peeps in the world use IE, most that are knowledgable will say that for the average user, IE is a hole that is not pluggable.

When you become advanced enough to use other measures, the hole is restricted immensely. So my advice for peeps is, unless you are a geek who understands, just use something other than IE and you won't have that particular worry anymore.

As many here are much more knowledgable than the average peep, they use IE without issue. But I would not advise my family to use it.

I doubt your argument declaring FF as bad will have much sway though.

Sul.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have to admit i'm geeked terribly over all Firefox's Add-Ons and it seems to be a ALL-IN-ONE information center for all sorts of useful info.

By the way, i only run FF portable because i really like the portability of any app that's able to run reliably in that manner.

Anyone ever heard of Newzie ( feature-rich news aggregator/RSS Reader?)
    http://www.newzie.com/

EASTER

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

The only things missing in your comparison are these:

People using IE getting infected? yes. *
    People using FF getting infected? no.

IE compliance with W3C standards? no.
    FF compliance with W3C standards? yes.

Crawler toolbar? Eh, what? Say what what?

But you convinced me, I have started using the new AOL-powered IE9 Alpha, which allows you to visit pre-cached, pre-approved sites at lightining speed, at only USD47.99 a month, plus free subscription to Twitter.

Mrk

* not ALL users, most of them ...

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Any reason why this is in the 'other firewalls' sectiono_O?

However as mentioned previously,if you don't like Firefox but do like high speed and security Opera is the answer! Using it I can honestly say I've never once been inconvenienced by the total lack of any 3rd party toolbars.

15. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I tried my best to explain my impression of Firefox after having a play with it and take nothing back from my post.

I resent remarks about "what are you smoking".

I resent remarks about being some kind of dumb idiot which I am not.

I resent a barrage of criticism regarding the Crawler toolbar - I did not ask for it, when I opened Firefox - IT WAS THERE !

I resent patronising comments. The object of raising a subject is to get constructive comments back - not slimy remarks about "if I do not know what I am doing, then don`t post such matters on this Forum"

I resent the attitude of several replies, but note that a few are sympathetic to an honest poster - be it that I am not as experienced as many on this site.
    IT IS THOSE MEMBERS WHO I LOOK TO FOR CONSTRUCTIVE REPLIES - not to be crucified. I may not be the world`s leading computer expert, but in other fields, I could take these experts to the cleaners.

I am NOT frivolous.

If nobody has any better things to say than some of the replies so far, then I will delete the post - PERHAPS THEN YOU WILL ALL BE HAPPY.

In the meantime, enjoy your Firefox and I will enjoy my IE7.
    KAS
    :thumbd:

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well crawler toolbar doesnt come with FF, its SpywareTerminator that installed it and crawler toolbar IS next to useless, im sure u can remove it by just going to add/remove programs.

17. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Just another point I would like to emphasise to all those patronising experts.

A Forum IS NOT the exclusive property of experts to bandy their opinions about in, it is open to EVERYBODY - eggheads and dumb-bells alike and if you disagree with that, then perhaps you had better study the basic objective of what a Forum really means.
    KAS
    :mad:

18. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread moved from the "other firewalls" section to a more appropriate location.

Also, let's all try to be more understanding and polite, okay?

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Kas, you started with a patronising comment. In fact, the entire thread was such:

>>>> The object of raising a subject is to get constructive comments back - not slimy remarks about "if I do not know what I am doing, then don`t post such matters on this Forum"

No one said that, but do read a few threads here and there and you'll see that responses pretty much fit the spirit of the OP ... Raise a subject, but be civil about it. Claiming A sukz, B pwns pretty much leaves no place for any sort of comments save jokes and snides. Right?

And if you are not an expert, as you say, then perhaps you should ask others for opinion on why things are the way they are.

If there's one place where you'll get an understanding / reasonable attitude, it's definitely Wilders.

Mrk

20. AKAJohnDoe

That is one of the few I have not tried. I actually just yesterday went back using to RSSOwl (from FeedGhost). Are you going to try, or have you already tried, Newzie? There are a lot of RSS readers out there.

21. AKAJohnDoe

The original post could be interpreted as a pre-meditated resentment.

In any case, use whatever you like. But it certainly appears that your assessment of browsers is based upon extensions that were installed by software other than the browsers. Get your facts straight.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

virtumonde in his reply mentions it comes with Spyware Terminator, and i remember now. It's not bundled with Firefox, it's ST that is putting it there.

Everything in your OP, i think, is about this toolbar - it's not Mozilla's fault.

23. Kas

Kas Registered Member

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT ! - a fine expression to use for a "teacher".
    It is the Professor who must "get his facts right" NOT the student.

I have already been told that my rhetoric is not exactly conforming to the Bible class. My expressions are not intended to offend, neither do I expect a barrage of equally unpleasant replies to my poster. It is a Forum NOT a slanging match.

Getting facts right is the prerogative of experts. THEY have a duty to be correct. Ordinary plodders only state what they experience and come up with conclusions which may be totally wrong. Then they turn to the experts for answers, like I did, but so far I have received very little but a smack on the wrist.

A true expert would recognise my cry for help as inexperience and give an explanation as to why I find Firefox so utterly useless.

Spybot will NOT immunise Firefox content.

I cannot see a POP-UP blocker in sight (does Firefox know they exist ?) and pop-ups are doing JUST THAT, bouncing about like a Yo-Yo`s.

How would I know that ST would install the Crawler toolbar ? I`m not an expert or psychic. Do I disable ST BEFORE installing FF ? Nobody yet has said I should. Do I do it in Safe Mode ? Can I do it in Safe Mode ? Who knows ?
    I am certainly not disabling all my security programs to do it.
    I need ST and Crawler for my IE7 so I cannot use the uninstall facility. There is not a separate ST/Crawler record listed for IE7 and FF, only one.

Wonderful Firefox has Doubleclick/net/com and variants in the BLOCK list.
    The only thing is that wonderful Firefox is wasting it`s security time - I AM BEING BOMBARDED BY DOUBLECLICK POP-UPS. So either the FF block list means nothing or again it is the terrible Crawler Web Security Guard that is doing it.

It would be nice if somebody out there would simply recognise inexperience and explain these matters to a humble key basher without expecting the entire world`s population to be computer experts.
    KAS

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I do not use that toolbar (i don't even think it's useful), so i wouldn't know how to disable or enable it for one or all browsers.
    Whatever the security program not working with Firefox is most likely that program's problem, not Firefox.

25. AKAJohnDoe

If I am the teacher, then you have just earned a time-out in detention. Good day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.