Firefox 3.6.8 is available

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MrBrian, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Firefox 3.6.8 fixes the following issues found in previous versions of Firefox 3.6:
    *Fixed a single stability issue affecting some pages containing plugins

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, but it still hasn't fixed that pesky so called 'Twitter Bug' on my My Yahoo! page though! This bug (which also affects SeaMonkey) seems to be a common problem with AJAX web pages that use XMLHTTPRequest to continuously send data back and forth from the server to you in the background (so I've been reliably informed). Because the network traffic never stops, the throbber code thinks that the page is still loading. So this is a huge problem for developers, apparently.

OK, so how come the page works fine in Internet Explorer, K-Meleon, Google Chrome, SRWare Iron, Safari & Opera then? :cautious:

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Off-topic, I see this sometimes even with Chrome though I haven't yet managed to correlate it with anything in particular.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

This has been a common pattern:
    Every time Firefox releases a new version,
    they release another one right after 2-4 days.
    3.6.7 was immediately followed by 3.6.8 in just a few days!

This doesn't happen with any other browser...

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Probably because they also fixed a critical security vulnerability:
    If there are security vulnerabilities, I'd like an update as soon as possible, even if that means there would be 3 updates in 3 days or things like that, instead of waiting for the next scheduled update like some big companies do.

6. Daveski17

That's interesting, I'm pretty sure I've never seen this with Chrome (yet) but Chrome sometimes won't load some slide shows, particularly from National Geographic, the page just goes blank (after trying for a bit). I suppose fixing the 'Twitter bug' isn't an immediate priority for Mozilla as they are trying to get Fx 4 out as soon as they can. I'll bet it won't be fixed in the first release! Good job I have Chrome. :cool:

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Yep, they should leave the bug in the browser for weeks. That would be cooler and more professional.:shifty:

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't think that was the intended thought :rolleyes: . The poster is right though, that seems to have become the norm for Mozilla lately. It can come across as "Hey, here's the new release!" *next day* "Oops! Forgot, we left a bug there, hehe...here ya go!" *two days later* "Well, damn, forgot this too, here, NOW you're set. Enjoy!".

I get the posters point. Obviously my previous statement was meant in jest, but yeah, it doesn't look all that good when they keep doing that.

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Mozilla always worked this way. Firefox had the most (security) bugs in 2009 according to the statistics. But they were the fastest to fix them.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To me it just looks like they're rushing a bit too much.....

12. Daveski17

Although I'm inclined to agree about the 'rushing', if my memory serves me right, Mozilla have always behaved like this with these supplemental bug fixes after an upgrade.

13. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Writing in this version seems to be lagging by a few seconds. I type and it has to catch up. Odd Is anyone else having this problem?

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

A little more here:
    Mozilla re-patches Firefox 3.6 to fix plug-in problem
    Second time in two months that a just-released update needs a follow-up fix
    Source

15. johnny_dacu

johnny_dacu Registered Member

I'll be happy when a major release will be available. Expecially when transitions in css3 will work. I know, is not an webdev topic, but i think FF is a little behind other on this issue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.