Firefox 3.5 out

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stefan_waelti, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Mozilla slates first Firefox 3.5 patch
    Article.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zeena, perhaps I should not have used the word warn, maybe alert or caution would have been a better choice, nevertheless, I do like this feature because it lets me know the sites that are or will be using this geolocation trend.

And since, in the words of Mozilla (I do take them at their word. They haven't shown me any nefarious moves, yet): Location-Aware Browsing is always opt-in in Firefox 3.5. No location information is ever sent without your permission, whether the function is ON or OFF, it makes no difference. While I respect your decision, it's just my opinion, I could be wrong. ;)

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hopefully one of the apparent bugs they're fixing (and I haven't heard anyone else mention having this problem) has to to with very poor DNS lookup and handshaking. After upgrading, every click results in a very slow (10 secs. or more) "looking up ..." phase, quite often followed up by an equally slow "waiting for ....".

I have to assume the problem's in Firefox itself and not "out there" somewhere, because when I gritted my teeth and tried again with IE-8 (with tabbing disabled) it went smooth as silk. I've got all of FF's anti-phishing stuff, and the related new features, turned off, so I don't think they're the problem.

4. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I find no way to close the last remaining tab in firefox 3.5.That is I cannot close a lone tab in firefox.The only to do this is to open another tab and close the previous.Is there a direct way to do this?

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Lifehacker has an article about this
    One other way is if u use mouse gestures.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Thanks.I am dreaming of a browser that could combine the fastness of opera and the versatility of firefox.

8. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Well i didn't test the tweak on lifehacker as i always have multible tabs opened,but after trying,i wasn't able to make it work.There is still one remaining blank tab.
    Overall i would say this is quite a buggy release.

9. yeow

yeow Registered Member

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2009/07/disable-tab-tearing-and-six-other-firefox-3-5-tab-tweaks/

To show close button on the last tab, i copy/pasted the following lines to notepad & saved file as "userChrome.css". Then copied the file to the "chrome" subfolder in my profile directory.
    Code:
    .tabbrowser-tabs[closebuttons="alltabs"] > .tabbrowser-tab > .tab-close-button {
    display: -moz-box !important;
    }
    .tabbrowser-tabs:not([closebuttons="noclose"]):not([closebuttons="closeatend"]) > .tabbrowser-tab[selected="true"] > .tab-close-button {
    display: -moz-box !important;
    }

10. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Screenshot

Attached Files:

11. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Great ...............

12. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Nice one, yeow! Thanks! :D

13. axial

axial Registered Member

14. HJO

HJO Guest

Trying FF 3.5 until Opera 10 comes out. :blink:

15. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

I don't get it. Could someone explain to me how not being able to close the last tab is a problem since it just becomes blank?

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I guess it's a control freak thing. :D

17. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Maybe I am missing something here or I just don't get what you are wanting to do with the one tab but why not just set Firefox to where it doesn't even show the tab bar when you only have one website open. You get back a little more screen real estate that way and you can easily add a button for opening another tab alongside your other navigation buttons for when you are going from only one open website to two.

Attached Files:

18. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

For what it is worth. Initially did the update to 3.5 via the built in updater.

Encountered some slight quirks. To numerous and odd to remember or get into.

Did a complete uninstall. Followed by a manual deletion of any remaining (hidden) :ninja: files\profiles\reg entries.

A fresh install + add-ons, also reinstalled VLC and Flash. Working like a charm now. Seems a bit snappier as well. Perhaps due to the new build, perhaps just the clean install. :doubt:

19. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

20. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No need for an add-on if you've got a 3-button mouse: any page can be opened in a new tab using the middle button instead of the left button. Click on the Home Page icon on the Navigation Toolbar using the middle button and the home page will open in a new tab.

21. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Heeehee it could be like wat twl845 said. Anyway, I/we just want to exit all opened pages but not the browser - then maybe leave the computer for awhile. So I just prefer a blank page with nothing loaded, loading or reloading.

With Opera it's similar, last opened page can be closed & leaving blank tab.

Attached Files:

22. Masterton

Masterton Registered Member

Firefox 3.5 uses 50% less memory than Firefox 3.0
    It's also much faster. I'm happy. :)

23. Masterton

Masterton Registered Member

I would like to always show tabbar.
    Different people have different preferences.
    There is no universal preference which can please anyone.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

This is the best idea. I did it and I enjoy the extra space. Thanks Firebytes. ;)

25. arran

arran Registered Member

I like the tab bar to always show, so as I don't have to reach all the way up with the mouse to file new tab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.