Firefox 3.5 download window hanging before finishing on Vista 64

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Albsterama, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albsterama

Albsterama Registered Member

Ok, this the spec of my laptop:
    Vista 64 SP1
    Nod32 64 bit 4.0.437.0
    Firefox 3.5.2

Issue Description:
    Trying to download http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/images/Firefox-3.5.2.en-US.win64.installer.zip file. However, at the end, the FF pop-up download would show the "Few seconds remaining..." but then it would be stuck(hang) there.

There is no other option than to cancel the download.

I tried IE 64 bit to download this same file and it's fine 100% of the time :cautious:

I also tried the Firefox about:config and setting the DownloadScan to FALSE and that did nothing.

Turning off the NOD32 entirely does nothing and still hangs the download. If I uninstall Nod32, it downloads perfectly fine.

Any ideas o_O

2. JuliusB

JuliusB Registered Member

Just tried downloading it and it everything is O.K.

specs:

Vista 64 SP2
    Nod32 64 bit 4.0.437.0
    Firefox 3.5.2

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Try downloading Firefox with another Browser like IE 7, I used Opera and it went fine.

4. Albsterama

I tried again and it's hung. When I cancel it, there is a message in the Downloads window: "Canceled-wilderssecurity.com"

I just noticed you had Vista SP2. SP2? How come Windows Update didn't alert me to this o_O

So, I'm just now downloading Service Pack 2 and see if I have any better luck with it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. Albsterama

Carver, I can download with IE8 64 bit and it's perfectly fine. I am and it seems like others are well, people using FF 3.5.2 specifically are having some problems with downloading hanging.

Now here's the kicker - some files download OK but sometimes and from what I have seen - predominantly the .rars, has problems with the hanging. The real problem is that I don't know which one will hang and which one will not.

This FF download file is one I know I am having problems with specifically and I can replicate the issue consistently using my laptop.

I am going to upgrade to SP2 and see if it improves the situation.

Thxs for all the input guys. If anyone else has a solution I can try, please post and I will try it. I am not the only person with this issue as I posted a similar thread in the mozillazine forum http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1022075&p=7332095#p7332095

6. Albsterama

:thumb: THAT'S IT! It works!!!! I downloaded Service Pack 2 for my Vista 64, installed it and it 6 out 6 times I successfully download with no hanging.

It will take about 24 seconds to scan the file but it worked!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.