Firefox 23 final will be released on August 6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by siljaline, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You are welcome moontan. I still think you are better off using NoScript:cool:,

Bo

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

right you are.

i just re-installed it. :thumb:

please let us know how it goes.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Nothing broke, my addons (NoScript, Adblock and Downloadheper) work just fine. It feels nice, I just don't like the Chromish look and cant change things as much as you can now. For instance, I like tabs under the address bar and having a button for opening bookmarks on the side and cant make it happen on this version as it can be done in V23.

Regarding Click and play, you wont have to change "plugins.click_to_play" in about:config in order to get the Ask option in the Plugins drop down menu, its done by default.

Bo

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I threw it into a virtual machine and took a look. All of the appearance of Chrome (actually Chrome has more options) and less security. When they look the same I will probably switch to Chrome. :(

6. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

The new setting is in plugins section. Set flash plugin to "always ask".

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i noticed there is a 64 bits version of the Nightly.

i'll wait for the final though.
    there's no rush.
    ----
    as long as NoScript is working i think i'll stick with Firefox.
    the only thing i like about Chrome is the sandbox.

and these days i find Firefox snappier than Chrome anyway.

8. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Ok, considering of what is Firefox turning in the Future and now that it seems to be more clear that Palemoon is at a higher chance able to keep being Australis free, perhaps i can use that instead :) Alternative Browsers which i do use right now (some smaller Linux/Windows Projects) do work nice, but in the end, nothing beats good old Gecko :D

I seriously dislike all that preparation changes of Mozilla, just because Australis can not use a feature rich concept anylonger.

I seriously refuse using such a restricted Future System, so no thanks, no Firefox 23 and onwards for me :D

9. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I ran this for a few days with NoScript, AdBlock+ and a couple other "go-to" plugins, but I went back to Chrome.

Chrome handles cookies better, imo, it's of course more secure in its base form and there's no extension for FF as good as "Edit This Cookie" available for Chrome. NoScript is really the only reason I can't completely let go of Firefox.

10. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

had major issues with firefox v23, tried all manner of troubleshooting with no joy (keeps crashing on websites with flash), seems to be a known issue with certain AMD cards and the new rendering system in v23.

reverted back to v22 and all ok again.

seriously thinking of switching to chrome at this rate

11. guest

guest Guest

I think you will enjoy Palemoon:D

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would go with Chrome also except for one issue that I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do: High cpu usage on flash videos.. So I stick with Firefox, which seems much better in that regard. I don't know what it is, but I just can't seem to use Chrome anymore....

13. Orhin

Orhin Guest

I already do :D It is so much better as "Googlezilla Firechrome" to what Firefox is mutating when Australis takes over :D

Still, i am so ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ that Mozilla clearly gives it's Power User Corebase a serious hit in the face after such a long time of Usage. 2 Times Chrome (Chromium included) is more then enough :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  14. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

gotta say what a big ouch.

So I will switch to the v24 ESR build for a year then switch browsers if by then they havent come to their senses.

Analysing their changes it does appear these changes are aimed at breaking addons that undo firefox gui changes, so addons have been made to restore legacy firefox behaviour such as.

classic toolbars
    status4 ever

etc. and these sort of addons will be broken by firefox 25. They have no logical reason to make the changes they are making, they talk as if they have to make changes when they dont.

15. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

will the firefox devs keep claiming they not trying to copy chrome?

16. Orhin

Orhin Guest

It seems the Devs DO want to see users switch to Chrome.. so.. if you switch.. switch to Palemoon instead, do not let Google win with its evil strategy ;)

Joke aside, there is a set of wise words.. Who pays the bill, decides...

What does that say now about the Relationship of Google and Mozilla? :thumbd:

17. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

they certianly appear to be too close for comfort.

I noticed not only on the gui changes but how firefox implement new useless features at the same time of chrome as well like all this new peering stuff etc.

18. Orhin

Orhin Guest

You only have to compare what Chrome right now does not have and Firefox have.

Afterwards, compare what Firefox with Australis is missing or is sharing with Chrome suddenly.

Firefox Australis & Chrome=no Add-on Bar, no custom Bars, no Sidebar Buttons, no Tabs at Bottom, no Keyword.url, you can not move Navigation Bar Elements around or to other Browser Elements, same Menu Button (3 lined one, on the right side of the Browser)

I just wonder if it is hot love what Mozilla has for Chrome or if they are just so afraid that Chrome will eliminate Firefox at the end of the Browser Wars...

Anyway, both reasons are ridiculous to convert Firefox into a kind of Chrome. At least in my opinion.

19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Firefox 23.0.1 is rumored but not on any official Mozilla update servers.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

22. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Btw. VERY interesting Blogpost which shows clearly that the new Upcoming Firefox Versions are not intended anymore for Power or Advanced Users, but instead for simple Rookie Users which barely do know how the Web works!

http://infinite-josiah.blogspot.co.at/2013/07/the-state-of-thunderbird-team-and.html?showComment=1376751830230

"Simply making everything an about:config preference isn't actually that
    helpful, since we still must support that preference. This would leave
    us with hundreds of things to test, which makes everything much harder. So
    you see, just because a small percentage of our users want these little
    details, doesn't mean we can make it happen. As much as we would LOVE to
    make everyone happy, it unfortunately isn't a reality."

Means that Power or Advanced Users are not having any priority anymore!

23. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Why do they remove many useful options in the name of simplicity? Javascript options were very useful. I used to disable allow scripts to hide address bar option and also to quickly disable javascript for a short time.

Is seamonkey better alternative?

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You left out the first half of the post, which explains that Mozilla is making tradeoffs to focus more on speed and security.

"Many (power-users/development-minded) people have been under the
    impression that Mozilla is now dictating what users get and what they
    don't. I myself do some work for Mozilla and the "Australis" project, so
    I just want to clarify that this statement is simply not true. Although
    it may seem like we don't care, we actually do more than ever. But our
    user base is growing rapidly and to make "most" of our
    users happy, making the browser faster, more stable, and less dangerous
    is what we want. That's what we've been targeting recently. Firefox
    hasn't changed much in the past few years, mostly because of the amount
    of work and time it takes to keep track of all the little features we
    support. We just recently decided that some things need to go in order
    to advance."

25. Orhin

Orhin Guest

Yeah, it has the old Firefox look :) But i guess if you do want only a simple Browser, you should better go with Cyberfox or Palemoon.

Nearly 1:1 Firefox without Mozilla's removal of Features for "Mozilla Chrome" ;)

And these Forks even seem to have good 64 Bit Builds available :)

"You left out the first half of the post, which explains that Mozilla is making tradeoffs to focus more on speed and security."

That was the reason why i posted also the Link, so everyone can read the whole article. But do you really believe it was only because of that? Mozilla is following chrome and simplification for years, they can reach speed with more more other variants.

Or do you believe something like removing simple customization options give speed? If they put out Social API and stuff which is TRULY useless, this would offer more speed as just killing the add-on bar or the ability to have tabs at the Bottom.

Mozilla is only following ONE thing in the recent past.. To compete with Google Chrome and their solution is to adapt chromes restriction in Customization. And that is a fact :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.