Firefox 20.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by moontan, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Sadly no.

It seems the only alternatives are: disabling history, using private browsing, or just manually clearing the download list periodically. I've opted for the last option however the list can get fairly long if I ignore it.

Edit: Looks like someone reported this bug already:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=843292

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Zmechy, your Firefox was crashing on your computers before you updated Firefox to 20.01 and SBIE to 4.01.05. It is likely that a security application that you are using in both computers is conflicting somewhere and is causing Firefox to crash. I don't think the mentioned updates are the problem.

I also think your sandbox needs to be deleted. Even if you have it set to delete on closing, check the sandbox if you have not rebooted since the last time Firefox crashed, probably it contains files. If it does, reboot and after the reboot, delete the contents. There is a reported problem with 4.01.05, when Sandboxie issues message 1308 and 2314, Reghive files remain in the sandbox and the sandbox doesn't delete. Someone else reported this issue and I can confirm it. This doesn't crash SBIE or Firefox but your Firefox might run better if you run it in a clean sandbox.

By the way, when users are having problems like yours, to diagnose if a setting is creating the problem, it is recommended to run (in this case) Firefox in a new default setting sandbox. If Firefox crashes running in a default setting sandbox, probably the problem is a conflict. If it doesn't, them it is likely that a setting in the Firefox sandbox is the problem

Bo

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I'm going to do a clean install of Sandboxie.
    But.
    My Firefox up to version 20 never crashed with Sandboxie; therefore,
    I think about Sandboxie as a very reliable program.

I've started having issues with Firefox 20.0 from the very beginning. Updated it to version 20.01, but problems are still there.

I truly believe that various Firefox developers wanted so much to change and so much to improve in a short period of time.

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Firefox 20.01 is working fine for me here.

it's not the job of Mozilla to make sure Firefox is working with Sandboxie.
    but the other way around.

maybe it's time to go over the SBie forum and ask Tzuk and the others for some help.

5. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Here you may find some help for Firefox crashes, I've been working on various ways myself, too many updates too fast makes for too many crashes, in my opinion that is.. :)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes

6. bo elam

Firefox and Sandboxie do NOT have a problem.

Bo

7. bo elam

Personally, I am disgusted with Firefox 20 but what can we do. I like FF better than the other browsers so have to live with the changes they are making. Thats how I see it.

By the way, I have never had a Firefox crash while using Sandboxie. Before you do a clean install, check and see how Firefox behaves in a "new" default sandbox. If it is another application that is conflicting, you will not gain anything doing a Sandboxie reinstall. HTH.

Bo

8. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I followed your advice "to re-install Sandboxie".
    After I installed Sandboxie, I ran Firefox in the default sandbox.
    No issues so far.

Thank you for your recommendation.

9. bo elam

@Zmechys. I didn't recommend you reinstall SBIE. I recommended, to help diagnose the problem, you run Firefox in a default settings sandbox, not in your DefaultBox. I am glad you got things working but if Firefox crashes again, thats what you should do, IMO.:)

Bo

10. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've changed my mind, and decided that having a patched browser outweighs having D-S & Keyscrambler functioning at this point. I run a very static setup that is in a VM most of the time for one thing. And let's face it, Keyscrambler aint doin me any good. There are no keyloggers on my box and my Paranoid D+ would curse at me if anything tried to log my keystrokes.

And I'm sure Download Statusbar will be updated before long to be compatible with FF 20+ anyway.

Plus I can shell scan downloads with VTHC before recovering them from the sandbox anyway. It's a few more mouse clicks and not automatic, but achieves the same end result. Less concessions need to be made in SBIE restrictions too, so in a way it's kinda more secure this way. Though less convenient.

came to my senses...

And for the record... I'm having no issues whatsoever between FF 20.0.1 and SBIE v 3.76 32-bit.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Firefox 20.0 and plugin-container.exe

hi

may i ask a question about plugin-container.exe?

do you notice an improvement and a more fast surfing disabling plugin-container.exe ?
    with adding this variable
    MOZ_DISABLE_OOP_PLUGINS Value: 1 ?

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Re: Firefox 20.0 and plugin-container.exe

i think Flash and others need that to run, no?

13. bo elam

Re: Firefox 20.0 and plugin-container.exe

Its not needed. Flash can work in Firefox with Plugin container disabled. Myself, I don't disable it.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.