Firefox 20.0 Final

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by moontan, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

They revived the 64 bit "nightlies" after a public outcry. At some point they're goiing to release an official build.

Right now the only stable unofficial current build of 64X remains Cyberfox.

Waterfox seems to want to be a 64X ESR version of Firefox.

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I knew about the outcry and the bringing back of nightlies, but I do believe Mozilla made it crystal clear they had no plans on supporting these nightlies officially, and in no uncertain terms made it known FF would not go x64 in the known future.

As to Waterfox, I believe you're right.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Honestly I cannot even check this because the telemetry settings are missing from the GUI in Arch Linux's Firefox build. However the toolkit.telemetry.enabled setting does exist in about:config. I don't know what the setting name is for submitting crash reports though.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Some are passing on this build due to the noted issues. That said, whose to say that the next release will not be worse than this one. :cautious:

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've yet to have any issues with 20. I haven't looked into this telemetry stuff. I expect 20 will end up having the same annoying quirks all FF releases do, namely hanging and often not shutting down its processes after closing the browser.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Yeah, that seems to be a common issue with Firefox on occasion, especially on pages with heavy Flash content.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Happens to me too.. not too often, but now and then. Annoying, but...

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

...it's our favorite browser so we tolerate it :D ;)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, you got that right... :)

10. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

The hanging seems to me to be more frequent after the last flash update that we had. I'm thinking it hangs sometimes without flash, but far less often.

I'm a little less tolerant of it than you guys though, I think. Firefox may be relegated to 2nd string on my desktop, again, pretty soon. I can't remember what the specific reason was before, but I switched from it to Chrome and stayed with Chrome for a good while until I had an issue with it and switch back to Firefox, and wound up just staying with it primarily. It's getting close to time for me to switch again.

Always handy to have two or three browsers installed and ready to go when needed. :D

11. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Firefox 20 Fixes 11 Critical Flaws, Adds Per-Tab Private Browsing:
    http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/f...itical-flaws-adds-tab-private-browsing-040213

12. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Cfox doesn't have the Data Choices tab.

13. encus

encus Registered Member

Hello.

After installing Firefox 20.0, when I visited a site, came a notification at below saying that Firefox sends some information to Mozilla to help make your browser better (more or less) with an option to adjust this. When I clicked it, a setting window pop up like the one you attached; it seems that the setting for Enable Crash Reporter is enabled and Enable Telemetry is disabled by default. Is this the right settings? Is it safe to send crash report to Mozilla? (do they collect some data of me?)

Thanks.

14. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

had an issue with firefox reverting back to default settings (along with add-on settings) after upgrading to version 20 and version 11.7.700.170 beta of flash. problem replicated multiple times, seems to be an issue with flash.

imaged pc back to before the flash beta update and then updated firefox to version 20, all ok.

15. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

for Linux users:

it hit the Mint repos just minutes ago.
    so check your updater throughut the day.
    ----
    doesn't seem that much different except for that Crash Reporter and a button for the download manager.

well, as long as they keep fixing bugs and improving it i'm ok with it. :)

17. guest

guest Guest

PDF viewer needs more love. :(

18. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Anyone else notice that the add on bar shows up at the bottom every time you restart a fresh copy of Firefox 20? This is probably a bug in this version 20. I have been unable to figure out how to hide it permanently.

19. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Raza do you use NoSquint addon?

20. Raza0007

Yes. Is this a bug related to NoSquint?

21. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I think so. If "Show current zoom levels in the status bar" is checked in the NoSquint settings it will make the add-on bar appear every restart.

22. Raza0007

It shouldn't be as I have had NoSquint since Firefox 3 and this problem only showed up with this new update to Firefox 20. In fact, this problem and the new download manager are the only two changes I have noticed in this update so far.

Firefox has a setting activated through right click on the title bar to hide the add on bar, apparently that is broken in v20. Hopefully they will fix it soon, as it is rather irritating to have to hide the add on bar every time I restart Firefox.

23. encus

encus Registered Member

24. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I don't know why i have the maintenanceservice .
    I updated to version 20 via help about since i don't wanted to install and now i see it in add remove programs .

25. ght1

ght1 Guest

But it doesn't need bugs and ads like Foxit. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.