Firefox 114.0 Werfault.exe error messages

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DjKilla, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

hint: users can download any zip from archive.mozilla.org and fill the firefox folder(s) manually.
    but as mentioned the update function within the portable is given if not otherwise forbidden.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Don't matter, clicking on "Restart to update Firefox" actually works.
    Yes it does as you rightly say.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, but if you're using the PA Platform, the old version number will remain until the new version is installed. Just FYI.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Mmm, gonna check that again...

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Alright, I don't quite understand this but I guess when you say "until the new version is installed" you mean to download the new latest portable FF version package from PA (btw not available now) and manually update. Well I know that, but a moment ago I downloaded PA FF 113.0.2 and utilized the internal FF updater itself then I got v114.0:
    ff1.png
    ff2.png
    ff3.png
    ff4.png
    ff5.png

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Yes, correct. Sorry I didn't make it clearer. If you look at the PA Platform, and hover over the Firefox entry, you'll see the old version number in a tool tip. Only when you install the new PA version, will you see the new version number when hovering over the Firefox entry.

And yes, you can always manually update to a newer version using the internal updater, while waiting for the newer PA version.

7. Brummelchen

my test with the PAF 113 results in this. and this is what i had in mind that the PAF is able to update itself since years.

and a look into %ProgramData%\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38
    "UpdateLock-FirefoxPortable"
    and its subfolders with logs
    %ProgramData%\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38\updates\FirefoxPortable
    (Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38 belongs to firefox 114)

the PAF starter should work for a long time, and even when parts do not work (currently there is) any firefox behind is working as expected.

Attached Files:

8. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

Going to do it as now also getting "erroor in GUI server [55/C0000155) every time.

9. henryg1

Now got it working, so thank you.

10. Brummelchen

11. henryg1

Likely AVG in that case, but why now (rhetorical)?

12. Brummelchen

sandboxie changes, avg changes. i know a lot of interferences to happen and i consider this fault to avg.

13. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

The \Device\Null is a dummy for a device that does not do anything
    so its safe to open it for all I'lla dd the
    NormalFilePath=\Device\Null
    line to the next build

14. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Registered Member

Is it better to add NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,\Device\Null under a specific sandbox settings or NormalFilePath=\Device\Null under the global settings? Does it impact security at all? Is it the same for Classic and Plus version? Thank you.

15. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Adding the path to the sandbox settings is specific to a box. Adding it to global settings applies to multiple/all boxes you may have created. NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,\Device\Null is specific to Firefox only which is causing the issue currently and can be used in sandbox settings or global settings. NormalFilePath=\Device\Null applies to all programs sandboxed and can be used in sandbox settings or global settings. In the next version, DavidXanatos will probably use NormalFilePath=\Device\Null and include it in the global settings so you won't have to add the line manually, also it will cover any and all boxes created. It does not impact security because it doesn't do/change anything therefore it does not interfere with security at all. Sandboxie Classic and Plus use the same underlying code so both paths can be used in either one.

16. Bellzemos

I just updated Firefox (64-bit) to v114.0 and, to my surprise, got no errors when running it sandboxed. I have Sandboxie Classic v5.60.3 and Windows 10 v10.0.19045.2728 (22H2). So, I won't enter anything into Sandboxie's ini file for now, but thank you for the great explanation! :)

EDIT: I just remembered, maybe I supressed that kind of error message before and that's why I don't see it now. Is there a way to see the supressed messages, like in a log somewhere or something? Or is the only way to make Sandboxie forget all the messages that were hidden? Asking for Sandboxie Classic.

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

@Bellzemos
    Along top bar select Configure and see if 'forget hidden messages' is ticked.

18. Bellzemos

Hi, no, it's not ticked. But I think this setting will make Sandboxie forget all the messages I hid? I'd rather just have a look at all the messages I hid - if that is possible? Thank you.

19. Bellzemos

Guess that is the only way, so I'll let Sandboxie forget all the hidden messages. Thanks. :)

20. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Bell. Open your configuration file via Configure>Edit configuration and look for hidden messages under User settings. There you can delete them if you just want to delete one or two, or more.

Bo

21. Bellzemos

I should have found that myself, I didn't look hard enough into the ini file. Thank you Bo! In the meantime I already updated to Firefox v114 but never got the Werfault error - even though I didn't enter the NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,\Device\Null into the ini file.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.