Firefox 114.0 Werfault.exe error messages

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by DjKilla, Jun 5, 2023.

1. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

Looks like Firefox 114.0 (64-bit) is causing Werfault.exe error messages in Sandboxie Plus 1.9.6 (64-bit). I did a clean install but that didn't help. This happens with the orange and red boxes. I haven't tried the other boxes. I'm using Windows 10 22H2 (64-bit).

Werfault.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

did you also created a fresh profile and a fresh box?

Currently v114 is not released yet, on tuesday. RC3 means NOT final.

3. DjKilla

4. Brummelchen

anything else is still not official, so at least you are trialing the RC3 which seems getting the final build (check hashes of content).

a closer look to your image - i am not sure if firefox is your problem, the log only shows werfault.exe, not firefox.exe. at least firefox is triggering a process which crashes but is vital for firefox.

tried older builds of sb+?

5. DjKilla

For many, many years, Mozilla has posted the final release version on their FTP site usually a day before it gets posted on their website. This is part of the preparation which includes getting the release notes and links ready for each language version which takes time. So this is the official release version and not a RC or beta. The werfault errors is being created each time Firefox 114.0 is started. So what I'm posting is an issue which several people could have when the links on the website go live to download Firefox 114.0. If everyone wants to wait to see if this issue blows up, that's ok with me. It's only one day to wait. Looks like you and others are unaware that final versions of programs are posted by many developers in advance of their live links all the time. For instance, Ublock Origin posts its final version on github but it takes time to be approved and posted in the Mozilla, chrome or edge stores for download. I just simply go and get the final version from the source before anyone knows it's coming or before it gets posted else where. I've even gotten the latest version of Sandboxie in github before the link gets posted in the forum or the link is updated on the web site. Anyway, next time I'll just wait a day before posting any Firefox issues with Sandboxie.

All language versions of the final Firefox 114.0 (64-bit) can be found here:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/114.0/win64/

For example: if you click it/ you'll get the Italian version

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is so true.

7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

For some, a Firefox release version is incomplete until also a matching releasenotes (and possible a security advisory) is published, which will likely be seen tomorrow typically late morning U.S. Pacific Time.

I, too, have installed version 114.0 and have yet to find anything negative/objectionable.

HTH

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
  8. busy

busy Registered Member

Try:

Code:
    NormalFilePath=\Device\Null

9. Brummelchen

thats why you got stuck in mistakes. the linked folder is not the official release page, neither nor. its a repository, nothing else.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/

and currently there is still 113.0.2 available, or you got it with the internal update process.

in many cases ublock was not signed and thus not usable in a regular Firefox. not approved means not signed and there is no way for gorhill to change this, otherwise it is another build which is not.
    For chrome it does not matter, anyone can use it offline with developer mode.
    currently no content, that's same as the release page, if both are ready, then it's official, very simple ;)
    Using since nightly, and also the beta is running very smooth. i have doubt that they changed a lot to make it crash.
    to read https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-release/

If it now crashes, any beta should have crashed also, beta state is now 4 weeks old. it's on users and developer to take care about Firefox and in this case sb+.

So if some can trial the early beta (beta1) and have same result while 113.0.2 do not crashes, its in firefox, in any case its sandboxie - in special sb+.
    for me the plus build has too much unresolved issues due its development in the shorter past. i would bet that sb+ is causing the crash.

edit: sb classic latest, no crashes on win10 x64

edit2: trialed SB as portable not to break my classic version, with the settings (ini) of my classic, firefox 115 is running with no issues. so if 115 is working at least 114 must run also fine.
    to mention that my classic settings are very classic, means very simple.

this brings me to some thoughts, maybe conclusions for you:

- your default settings for a (new) box are to sharp -> use another/clean sandboxie.ini

- firefox internal tools causing this:
    quit firefox, then delete "default-browser-agent.exe", "minidump-analyzer.exe", "pingsender.exe", "private_browsing.exe", restart firefox. those are not important for usage, only helper tools.

- another kind of security software is intercepting

10. DjKilla

Firefox 114.0 is now out on the website. I did a clean fresh install of Firefox 114.0 again, did a clean fresh install of Sandboxie and the same thing happened. I entered all of my settings manually in both Firefox and Sandboxie. I didn't copy over any profiles or ini files. So once again, proof that the latest Firefox 114.0 is not playing nicely in Sandboxie. Still getting the werfault.exe error messages. But a shining light has once again shined through and an answer has been given (See below).

@busy - NormalFilePath=\Device\Null fixed the issue! Thanks again for a quick fix!

11. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Registered Member

Hi,

what does the NormalFilePath=\Device\Null do exactly?

And where should it be entered in the ini file, under global settings or under the sandbox settings?

Thank you.

12. DjKilla

I added it to the sandboxie ini.

1) Click the 'Edit ini Section' tab
    2) Add NormalFilePath=\Device\Null to the bottom of the other settings
    3) Click 'Apply'
    4) Click 'Save'
    5) Click 'OK'
    6) You're done!

SB.jpg

Since this only affects Firefox 114.0, I added NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,\Device\Null

You could also enter it in the global settings if you have multiple boxes set up.

SB2.jpg

13. Glitzersternchen

Glitzersternchen Registered Member

SB FF Fehler.png
    I just updated to FF 114 portable and can confirm the error-message.
    But FF starts in the sandbox correctly

Sabine Win11, SB 1.96

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Where did you get that portable?
    TIA

15. Brummelchen

maybe from portableapps? but itself is able to update.

what i can see, that Djkilla has inserted c:\programdata\mozilla-###
    that number seems unique, please verify again, or create a less sharp rule.

and also the profile path \storage\ is very sharp, why not the whole profile which is vital for usage?

see also localappdata for mozilla, thats the cash path which is set right.

last - ever insert such text not as images, not helpful nor usefull for us, not able to reproduce.

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Downloaded portable FF from portableapps.com and it didn't update itself.
    ff.png

17. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

I'm getting the werfault error too. Doesn't seem to cause any issues, so far, so I'll leave my ini unchanged for now.

18. Brummelchen

check again please, a button must appear. your image shows that there exist no policy against updates.
    the update has been released around 3pm.

19. Glitzersternchen

I've had Firefox Portable and Thunderbird Portable for a few years now , and both programs update to the latest version with no problems, just like FF today on 114 . I mean, I downloaded them from "portableapps.com"

20. DjKilla

OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38
    OpenFilePath=thunderbird.exe,C:\ProgramData\Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38

The above are specific to Firefox and Thunderbird which allows me to set the update setting to 'Check for updates but let you choose to install them'

NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

The above allows my Firefox profile to work/read with the red box but protects all the files from being changed/write to. The exception is the next path below.

OpenFilePath=firefox.exe,C:\Users\Rockin' Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\csnqarx0.default-release\storage

The above allows me to punch a hole through the protection I have for my profile and allow my extensions to change/write to only the files in my storage folder, specifically uBlock Origin to update the lists without having to unsandbox Firefox to do so.

You're right about posting a pic of the werfault error messages. I probably should have looked a little deeper for what's being logged if possible. I just did a quick pic of the errors to acknowledge quickly that there was an issue.

21. Glitzersternchen

@DjKilla,
    "NormalFilePath=firefox.exe,\Device\Null"
    inserted in Global Settings disables the error message.
    Thank you :)

22. DjKilla

If you change your mind, add the fix from my post #12 above.

@Glitzersternchen - Glad it worked for you. Thanks to busy for this fix!

23. Brummelchen

to confirm you
    Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38
    is here also present, its for firefox 114.0final.

24. DjKilla

I downloaded Firefox 114.0 again today from the web site (Official release). So yes, Mozilla-1de4eec8-1241-4177-a864-e594e8d1fb38 is the folder within the ProgramData folder.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.