Firefox 1.0PR Browser Tabs and Spell Checker

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by puff-m-d, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I am finally giving Firefox a try for the first time. I normally use Opera. My question is this: Is there a way when I click a link in a window for it to automatically open a new tab without having to right click or anything. I have looked for the answer but can not find it. With Opera you can set it so clicking on a link opens a new tab each time. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: Firefox 1.0PR Browser Tabs

Kent I am an opera user trying firefox also and am finding that there is a lot firefox won't do that opera does. ;)

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Kent,

Try this: hold down the Ctrl key and then leftmouseclick the link.

Gerard

4. puff-m-d

Firefox is a tabbed browser so why should you have to do something special in order for new pages to open with tabs. I have been using Opera so long I will never remember to right click the links.... So I end up with a bunch of windows open which I do not like. Surely there is a way to set tabs as default.....

5. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

6. puff-m-d

Hello aagfr,

Thanks for those links. That really helps. I have installed the Single Window extension and love it. I guess I am not used to adding whatever options and features I want to a browser ;) , but I guess I could get used to it :cool: ...

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

If your mouse has a middle button (Either an actual button, or the scroll wheel button) just use hat on a link, and it opens it in a new tab, also works using the middle button on a tab to close it. Much nicer than Opera, IMO.

8. dog

dog Guest

Hi Kent,

Another way to open a link to a new tab is to select the link with the scroll wheel ... I'm using the all in one mouse gestures ... but I believe that this is also the regular default.

dog - *puppy*

9. puff-m-d

So far I am liking Firefox. It will take some getting used to since I have been using Opera for about 3 years. The one thing Firefox definitely needs to work on is their help files. I searched all thru them and could not find any of this information.

And while I have all these knowledgeable peoples attention, does anyone know of a good spell checker for Firefox?

10. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  11. puff-m-d

Thanks aagfr,

I saw the 2 different spell checker extentions at extentionsmirror but could not decide which one to try. So I figured I would ask opinions on here and probably end up trying them both. SpellBouud (the one you recommended) is excellent. I really like it and have no need to try the other.

Thanks again...

12. controler

controler Guest

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. sard

sard Registered Member

True but if you go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4 there is an extremely active forum with mostly friendly people willing to help. Also 99% of the time your questions will have been asked and answered before, so searching will get you the answer ASAP.

I’ve been using Firefox for a long time and love it, but the refusal of the developers to include 100% tabbed browsing by default makes no sense. I hope they stop being stubborn and fix it eventually. After all, they’ve got time to integrate email checking and RSS feeds which are much less important o_O

15. justhelping

justhelping Guest

I bet you didn't try very hard. Extensions are your friend

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=777

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have tried the extensions, but for for me opera is much more functional without having to download extensions. But I am going to give firefox three weeks to see what I think after some use. Now don't get me wrong I think firefox is a very good browser but this is where personal preference comes in. ;)

17. Jackfox

Jackfox Guest

Sounds like what a IEShell user would say lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.