fireBwall...anyone used it?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ichito, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

I found today new and unknown firewall for me - fireBwall.
    Home site http://code.google.com/p/firebwall/
    Download http://code.google.com/p/firebwall/downloads/list
    A quote from review on Softoxi
    http://www.softoxi.com/firebwall.html

2. bwall

bwall Registered Member

Merged from separate thread: fireBwall - What would you add to it?

Hey,
    Recently joined wilders, and my team and I are developing and OSS Windows firewall called fireBwall. It allows for modules to be developed so anyone can customize their network communications. Please check it out at http://firebwall.com and feel free to join us on freenode in #firebwall

You can also email us at firebwall@gmail.com or see our personal emails on the site.

We are open to questions/discussions at pretty much any time we are around.

Thanks,
    bwall

3. bwall

bwall Registered Member

I have, actually, I lead the team developing it. :)
    Personally, I use it on every Windows box I have, as I find that's one of the best ways to make sure its a quality firewall. 0.3.10.0 is coming out soon, and we are testing it to death right now.

4. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Hello, is fireBwall compatible with other firewalls?

5. bwall

bwall Registered Member

Hey, I don't believe we've actually done any testing with multiple firewalls installed. I'll get back to you on that. Do you have any specific firewalls in mind?

6. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Currently I'm using Windows 7 built-in firewall and managing it through TinyWall..
    EDIT: Went through fireBwall website and saw different modules for fireBwall, IP blocking and Ad filtering, looks like fireBwall has potential in becoming a great firewall.. Is it compatible with 64 bit windows? What are the target audience of fireBwall? Do you intend it to be used by home users like me or just to expert users? I'm very curious. :D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. bwall

bwall Registered Member

The drivers we are using only gave an interface in x86, but I run it without any issue on Windows 7 x64. We want to appeal to all audiences, but its not the easiest thing to do all the time. What would be really useful is if you don't understand something, let us know, and we'll try to clarify it as much as possible. We attempted some of that with the Help section. As for running along side the Windows Firewall, I do believe they can work in tandem, but I'm not sure what will process the packets first.
    We are close to releasing the next version of fireBwall, as well as some of the external modules. IPGuard, the module for blocking ip ranges will be improved extensively. It already is in a good state, and has been tested a lot, but is compiled with the new API, so we can't release it until the next version of fireBwall.

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Hello Brian ;)
    So the latest version is A BETA Or Release Candidate?
    Have you tested this new program with avast! and or Malwarebytes
    for compatibility?
    thank you looks very interesting indeed

p.s. looks FREE but you want donations correct

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Another question? Does it work under a standard user account? Without needing administrative privileges?

10. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Got an error - “Unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application". What does this mean? I tried to test it on VPC 2007 with XP SP3 installed as guest OS.

11. bwall

bwall Registered Member

We kind of have a weird release schedule. The current version out has known bugs have been fixed in the version to come. I guess its closer to a beta than anything. We have not tested it with either yet, I'll add it to our list. It is free to use, but we do need money for various things, mostly for signing our own drivers.

12. bwall

bwall Registered Member

It does currently run under the standard user. The drivers allow only one process to hook into them(the Winpkfilter drivers) so there are no worries about someone hijacking it when firebwall is running. Once we finish our own drivers and can afford to sign them, we'll be able to make this better.

13. bwall

bwall Registered Member

This is probably because of .Net, you need the .Net 2.0 runtime.
    .Net 2.0 Framework Downloads
    You want to grab the redistributable for your system.

14. bwall

bwall Registered Member

Also, I'd like to apologize for those who have popped into the IRC channel when we weren't around. It would be greatly appreciated if you stayed. :p

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

bwall, Thank you for the info.
    My only concern is to make aware that your firewall is more
    than likely in BETA stage so folks know the possible
    problems that make or may not hose their systems.

16. bwall

bwall Registered Member

That sounds fair. I do use every version of fireBwall as my primary firewall, and it hasn't hosed my systems yet. Most of our bugs are GUI things, or false positives. The worst was when I was testing out the Rectify Attack part of the ARP Poisoning Protection module while developing it, I had 2 instances of it on my network. I had a value switched in the packet that updates the other victim of the correct value, and it caused the other to send a rectifying packet, and likewise, it crashed my network. That was when I was developing it though, just a funny story.

17. operamail

Hi Bwall,

Thanks. That part I figured out. I only had .Net 4.0 installed when the error occurred.

18. kupo

kupo Registered Member

So I can use it without any problems or reduced security in Windows 7 x64?
    Guess I will wait for the next release, will you implement auto update of lists in IPGuard module?

19. bwall

bwall Registered Member

There is no decreased security or issues running fireBwall on Windows x64.
    The other developer does most of the work on IPGuard, but he does plan on implementing auto updating of lists in IPGuard. Not sure if this will be out right when the release happens, but an improvement to IPGuard will. We also have a plan for a method to check for updates to modules, and even a little module market for downloading modules through firebwall.

20. bwall

bwall Registered Member

21. operamail

Thanks for the update. May try it again later.:thumb:

22. kupo

kupo Registered Member

How about making a video about fireBwall so that everyone can have a sneak peak before trying it? :D

23. bwall

bwall Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  24. bwall

bwall Registered Member

25. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Umm, help? The Adapters tab is blank and the Help tab is also blank, I have no idea what to do know, LOL.
    EDIT: BTW, I'm using Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, the security applications I'm using are on my sig. (doubt it's about conflicting apps). I would be glad if you will be able to help me solve this issues. Are there anything that should be done after installing it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.