Finjan Secure Browsing updated (finally!)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Looks like Finjan Secure Browsing has finally been updated to be Vista compatible. I am giving it a test run now. New version is 1.3.1.9.

2. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

acr1965,

Do you have a link, I'm still getting version 1.314 at Mozilla's and Finjan's site. I haven't tried the download for IE8, maybe that's the one that has been updated?

Thanks.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Looks really good. I wish it was available for Opera, but not much is... :(

4. progress

progress Guest

I remember this post:

:doubt:

5. tesk

tesk Registered Member

6. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

7. acr1965

I am using Finjan for IE and trying it on IE7. So far no memory issues as had happened in the past with Vista.

8. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

I can't seem to find much useful information on the effectiveness of this product, even after doing a search here.

Is this still recommended over products such as LinkScanner and WOT.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

simple answer, no.

10. acr1965

Actually appears that the memory problem with IE in Vista persists.

11. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Thanks, glad I didn't have to waste time testing this.
    :thumb:

12. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Each with it's own opinion.Wot is not a realtime scanner ,Finjan vs Link Scanner,i would go with Finjan anytime.
    Seen more malicious sites detected by Finjan during my use of it.

13. progress

progress Guest

My experiences with Finjan: I have to wait up to 10 seconds until the scan is finished, and it never found any malicious site. I think it's a completely waste of time :(

14. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Yes the waiting time although not 10 seconds,was the main reason i stopped using it.But did u encounter malicious sites and Finjan did not detected them?

15. progress

progress Guest

I had installed AVG LinkScanner and Finjan Secure Browsing, while AVG LinkScanner flagged some sites Finjan Secure Browsing never detected any malicious page.

16. firzen771

finjan almost never detected any sites as malicious, it reminded me a lot of antibot... i liked linkscaner but i did not like the fact it had to be running with ur system and culdnt be an addon like others.

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you guys you worried to much about websites been infected when you know that with a properly configure browser/firewall and also worry about the payload instead this is the one that brings the pc damage:D

note:an infected websites can not harm my pc without bringing a payload infection other wise just close the browser:)

18. overangry

overangry Registered Member

IMHO WOT is the best link scanner, if you go to smileycetral dot com with its add-ware infested product and browser hijacker it will get flagged by WOT, but be given the ok from all the other link scanners.:eek:
    I tested the leading products about one month ago, when I was after a link checker.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  19. firzen771

WOT isnt a linkscanner, its only a site rating tool using a database, AVG Linkscanner is a linkscanner as is finjan.

20. overangry

Noted:D But the user has a better indication of whether a site/link is regarded as safe opposed to using the link scanners.
    The purpose of these tools are to indicate to the user that the site/link is reasonably safe to enter or visit.
    WOT does this better...:)

21. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

I would like to see the Better Business Bureau publish a business site reputation rating system or have that implemented in others. Unless they already have and I am unaware of it.

22. firzen771

maybe, but using a database is highly unreliable, it may give u a good general idea if the site is good or not, but when a site's been hijacked recently, a linkscanner is the only one that wuld alert u to an exploit like that. so proactivly, linkscanner is much better.

23. overangry

Yes, I see what you mean

24. acr1965

Actually I have not seen many link scanner products (finjan, Link Scanner Lite, Dr. Web's link scanner, etc) able to detect when sites get hijacked. A web site checker like WOT may only rely on historical data but its data base seems updated frequently enough to alert most users to a malicious site. At least it seems to be able to do so with as good an accuracy (or better) than the link scanner programs.

For new exploits on web pages- not yet recognized by link scanners- the process of getting the web site to the database of the link scanner is similar for the real time and historical scanners. A web site is infected, someone stumbles upon the site and the exploit takes over, eventually the exploit is reported back to the link scanner developers who try to figure out a way for their link scanner program to recognize the exploit for inclusion into their database. The historical link scanner is somewhat similar. Someone stumbles across the site and once the exploit is recognized the site is reported back to the developers for inclusion in their database. Either way it is similar in process. It just seems the historical checker with an active and up to date database is more accurate than the real time scanners.

It seems these days rogue downloads disguised as legit software is the en vogue exploit. Real time link checkers don't do much for these anyways.

25. firzen771

exploit detection isnt purely off a signature database... and id rather have exploit protection than some site rating tool telling me if the site is safe for children... :rolleyes: thers lot of exploits that are used over and over and those are ones linkscanners will usually catch, most of the time ur not gunna see a brand new exploit that was created just that hour, typically its exploits that are already out ther.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.