fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by david banner, Feb 7, 2023.

1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Is there any defence against fingerprinting? I have tried phone and tablet and pc and with add ons like no script but still i am unique or almost unique

2. david banner

I see Brave Browser says I am blocking ads and tracker and with a randomised fingerprint. But for all Brave's talk of privacy they have the feedback enabled by default. Turned off wallet but keep annoying me. Every so often a new tab opens advert "X support brave connect." pushing advertising. Another joke of a browser

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

fingerprinting is overrated as you use a decent browser. firefox prevents fingerprinting in basic manners. but i never wont recommend extensions to prevent fingerprinting which is used in most cases to you canvas. canvas blocker need a lot exclusion to make websites work, the work exceed the result.

go install a decent adblocker like ublock or adguard with the right lists and you dont have to worry about fingerprinting. on my android i use adguard premium as a first wall, it prevents chrome and apps to show some ads, firefox has ublock (like desktop browsers).

Being "unique" points out that your effort to prevent reaches the opposite. the more you are like others the less you are unique. canvas is not the only method to grab a fingerprint.

4. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Are you using android?

5. david banner

windows. i found how to turn the ad off

6. Azure Phoenix

Good to hear.

7. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

What I did in Firefox was add Adguard for desktop (I could use uBlock Origin, but I use the former to also block ads in apps), Multi-Account Containers, and set ETP to strict. Then I put various sites in containers and/or use burner or free Proton mail accounts for anything outside business, shopping, etc.

8. Brummelchen

this complete off from "fingerprinting". fingerprinting is a measuring method and not tied to containers or other mailers.

ETP (Enhanced Tracking Protection) for firefox
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enhanced-tracking-protection-firefox-desktop
    chose "strong". "custom" is a bit less.

proton do not fingerprinting, they encrypt mails of any kind on theier servers, but they are advised to cooperate with the french security. if mails are not encrypted by sender then anybody of them may able to read them and select punishment by evidence. and they are oblied to store ip. without vpn you are trackable.

9. Azure Phoenix

Maybe look into this
    https://jshelter.org/

10. solitarios

solitarios Registered Member

It worked for me, thank you very much.
    All the best.
    1.jpg

11. Brummelchen

ublock/umatrix
    their definition of "unique"
    lol? from how many million users with a browser?

just throwing a text is worth nothing, some need to read the results behind (table below)
    i can restrict webpages to nearly anything but then a lot of pages get broken. do not make sense.

further - it makes no sense to frighten regular users. at least those a left alone with their problems because there are missing basics. even ublock in its default settings is strong.

fresh profile, uBo only default
    again lol

12. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I have to turn off ETP for some sites or else things like embedded tweets don't show up. Given that, I use containers with it.

But in these containers I don't want to use my work and personal e-mail addresses to register to forums, etc., so I use burner accounts. The only annoying thing that happened is that Google now wants 2FA for phone numbers to use features like POP (before that, they wanted app passwords), but since it turns out that I don't need to check the mail for those often I decided to just get a Proton address for free and replace my e-mail address in forums for that. I don't use it for secure e-mail, just a free alternative to Gmail which requires phone numbers.

13. david banner

How come when I use Adblock Browser the cover your tracks reports
    __
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9; XQ-AD51) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/101.0.4951.63 Mobile Safari/537.36 ABB/3.2.6
    --
    Why does it report Mozilla? Does it report all browsers. I don't have Safari.
    What is AppleWebKit

DuckDuckGo gives

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 9) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/86.0.4240.198 Mobile DuckDuckGo/5 Safari/537.36

Both say finger print unique

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  14. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Has anyone managed to "fool" https://noscriptfingerprint.com/ ? I always get the same ID, even after closing and restarting Firefox (which includes emptying all cache).

15. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

The noscriptfingerprint.com test can easily be "fooled" by spoofing values in the HTTP request header. There are apps that can do that automatically. Changing your window size also helps to pass this test.

The creepjs test, however, seems to be much harder to "fool": https://abrahamjuliot.github.io/creepjs/ I have visited this site several times within the last couple of days, and it always shows the correct number of visits. Spoofing header values does not do the trick. There is probably little or even nothing that can be done about it. :thumbd:

16. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Looks like Trace extension is abandonware. hxxp://absolutedouble.co.uk is gone. Only the GitGub page https://github.com/underrobyn/AbsoluteDoubleTrace remains with a message and links to his webpage return 404. You decide if it's worth using anymore since the last update was ages ago and blockllists won't get updated.
    upload_2023-8-18_22-19-35.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.