finally got KAV to download...? why is msn messenger in trusted zone?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jrx10, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

is this normal? messenger is disabled under services and there is no msn messenger under add/remove programs. when I delete both entries from the trusted zone, the keep reappearing on restart (I just checked). I just started with KAV (from mcafee) and I can't see very much difference in the memory usage for either, which I was under the impression that both KAV and NOD32 used less memory than mcafee. (I haven't tried nod32 yet)
    entries are %ProgramFiles%\Messenger\Msmsgs.exe and %ProgramFiles%\MSN Messenger\MsMsgr.exe ​

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

this is becasue kav scans https traffic. by doing that msn messenger & windows update, 2 basic windows services, stop trusting those certificates and don't connect.
    that's why they are in the trusted zone (look at the settings, do not scan encrypted connections)

when i had akv installed it used about 12MB when it wsn't doing any active tasks (updating, manual scans)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

atm kav is using 14mb but during on demand scans it uses more but drops once its finished.
    lodore

4. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

thx. also, I don't know what's going on with "web anti-virus" under settings but every time I try to open it, not only does KAV lock up everything locks up. when I try and exit out, it says the system has KAV locked, and the only recourse is to either log off (or restart) both work. I don't have any problems opening file anti-virus, mail anti-virus, or proactive defense, only "web-antivirus" and it won't open and everything just locks-up. my initial experience with KAV (1st 24 hours) hasn't been as bad as with mcafee (not mcafee 2006 but definitely mcafee 2007) but it hasn't been good either. I also just lost most of my network control rules from my software firewall (and the only thing new is KAV). if you try KAV I would definitely back-up your firewall settings (if you can).

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

6. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

.....thx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.